Canon PowerShot S120 Announced
By| August 21, 2013
The Canon Power Shot S120 Point-and-Shoot Camera is a compact point-and-shoot camera featuring a 12.1 megapixel 1/1.7″ high-sensitivity CMOS sensor and DIGIC 6 image processor to produce high quality still imagery and full HD 1080p video with notable low-light quality and sensitivity from ISO 80-12800. The sensor and processor work together to form the Canon HS SYSTEM, which helps to improve the image quality of dimly-lit shots by reducing noise and enhancing the overall clarity. Additionally, the processor offers a range of speed-related assets throughout the camera, including a maximum sustained full-resolution continuous shooting rate of 9.4 fps for over 600 shots as well as a High Speed AF system for maintained sharpness in a variety of shooting conditions.
The built-in Canon 5x optical zoom lens provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 24-120mm, covering wide-angle to telephoto length perspectives. A maximum f/1.8-5.7 aperture contributes to working in low-light conditions and also benefits shallow depth of field and selective focus shooting techniques. Also aiding working in dim conditions is the inclusion of Intelligent IS image stabilization, which automatically utilizes one of six different distinct modes to help minimize the appearance of camera shake depending on shooting conditions.
For live view monitoring, image review, and menu navigation, a large 3.0″ 922k-dot touchscreen LCD monitor is integrated into the S120’s design and facilitates intuitive navigation along with clear viewing. The touchscreen interface gives way to Touch AF along with other touch-specific camera controls that are ideally-suited to use when recording video. The efficiency of the touchscreen also supports use of the built-in wireless capabilities for instantly sharing imagery from the camera to mobile devices. By using the free Canon CameraWindow app, available for Android and iOS devices, photos and videos can be sent to the device for direct sharing online through the CANON iMAGE GATEWAY.
- 12.1MP High-Sensitivity CMOS Sensor and DIGIC 6 Image Processor
- The 12.1 megapixel 1/1.7″ CMOS sensor and DIGIC 6 image processor work in concert to produce high resolution still imagery and full HD video recording with notable low-light sensitivity and quality. The combination of these two technologies creates the Canon HS SYSTEM, which provides a maximum sensitivity of ISO 12800 with minimal noise and enhanced clarity to truly benefit impressive image making in dimly-lit situations. The processor also contributes to overall speed throughout the camera, including High Speed AF, Manual Focus Peaking, and a top full-resolution continuous shooting rate of 12.1 fps for the first six images with a sustained shooting rate of 9.4 fps for over 600 consecutive images, as well as 1080p video recording at 60 fps.
- Canon 5x Optical Zoom Lens
- The built-in Canon 5x optical zoom lens provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 24-120mm, covering wide-angle to telephoto perspectives to suit working in a wide array of situations. A maximum f/1.8-5.7 aperture benefits working in low-lit conditions and also supports the creation of selective focus and shallow depth of field imagery. The lens’ performance is further enhanced through the inclusion of Intelligent IS image stabilization, which helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by automatically selecting from six different optimized stabilization modes depending on the specific shooting conditions. The Normal setting corrects for a wide range of movements and is ideal for still photography; the Panning setting detects when panning shots are being made and does not compensate for lateral shake; the Macro (Hybrid) setting specifically corrects for shift-type shake that is common when working with close-up subject matter; the Dynamic mode is highly effective for video work and wide-angle settings and helps to minimize common shake that occurs while walking or moving with the camera; the Powered setting is suited for shooting at the telephoto end of the zoom range when hand shake is most prevalent; and Tripod mode simply turns off the IS since it is no longer needed.
- Full HD Video Recording
- Full HD 1080p video recording is supported with a frame rate up to 60 fps for high resolution, fluid rendering of subjects with integrated stereo sound recording. Touch AF control provides an intuitive means for modifying the focus point as well as zoom and in-camera playback. Direct playback is also possible on an HDTV via the integrated HDMI port and 60 fps movies are saved in the Internet-friendly MP4 format for expedited online sharing and editing. When recording at 30 fps, the DIGIC 6 processor and Fine Movie Detail Processing work together to enhance noise reduction and overall clarity.
- Built-In Wireless Connectivity
- Built-in Wi-Fi allows direct, wireless transferring of photos and videos to mobile devices and PCs for instant online sharing to social networking sites and cloud-based storage sites. The CANON iMAGE GATEWAY helps to expedite this process through an intuitive workflow and the free Canon CameraWindow app, available for iOS and Android devices, enables efficient transferring control and also permits GPS tagging to images. An enhanced Wi-Fi set-up also works to streamline connecting to wireless hot spots, too, as WEP Key input is no longer needed and wireless preferences can easily be modified through a web browser. Additionally, Automatic Switching via the Image Sync function works to automatically sync images with any discovered and linked PC within a designated network or, alternatively, images are temporarily sent to the CANON iMAGE GATEWAY for later transferring.
- 3.0″ Touchscreen LCD Monitor
- A large, bright 3.0″ 922k-dot touchscreen LCD monitor is integrated into the camera’s design and supports highly efficient camera control as well as live view monitoring and image playback. Familiar touchscreen controls, such as Touch Shutter, Touch AF, pinching, and swiping, help to make this system of navigation both practical and intuitive.
- Other Camera Features
- Background Defocus mode is a useful mode for applying shallow depth of field techniques to imagery for more control over the point of focus within an image.
- Multi aspect RAW permits shooting in a variety of aspect ratios (16:9, 3:2, 4:3, 1:1, and 4:5) with the uncompressed 12-bit RAW file type to more individually suit the type of image being created. RAW+JPEG shooting is also supported.
- A manual control ring is set around the lens to provide familiar, intuitive control over many of the shooting controls, including focus, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, step zoom, exposure compensation, aspect ratio, i-Contrast, and white balance.
- Built-in HDR image creation automatically records multiple frames into a single image to garner greater highlight and shadow detail with an extended range of mid-tones.
- Sub-modes, such as Art Bold, Art Vivid, Art Standard, and Art Embossed, allow you to more precisely refine the final output and appearance of imagery in-camera.
- Dedicated star shooting modes benefit shooting photos and movies of the night sky and work to balance the exposure settings necessary for nighttime shooting.
- Hybrid Auto records four seconds of HD 720p video with each still image and then automatically joins the stills and movies together into a highlight reel.
- Canon’s Direct Print system is supported for expedited connection and printing with a PIXMA or SELPHY directly from the camera.
- Shooting modes: Custom, Manual, Aperture-Priority, Shutter-Priority, Program, Movie Digest & Hybrid Auto, Smart AUTO, Portrait, Smart Shutter, Star shooting modes, Handheld Night Scene, Underwater, Snow, Fireworks, Creative Filters, High Dynamic Range, Nostalgic, Fisheye Effect, Miniature Effect, Toy Camera Effect, Background Defocus, Soft Focus, Monochrome, Super Vivid, Poster Effect, Movie, and Super Slow Motion Movie.
- Language support: English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Portuguese, Korean, Greek, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Turkish, Thai, Arabic, Romanian, Ukrainian, Farsi, Hindi, Malay, Indonesian, and Vietnamese.