Canon 3 Layer Sensor (Foveon Type?) Patent
By| July 6, 2011
3 Layer Image Sensor
A Canon patent was recently released showing a 3 layer sensor. Sigma has been the leader (I use the term lightly) in this type of sensor design when they purchased Foveon.
Patent Publication No. 2011-129785
- 2011.6.30 Release Date
- 2009.12.18 filing date
- Back-illuminated imaging device
- Plurality of light receiving portion is provided in the order BGR
- In one pixel, the charge collection in the center section, provided the charge read to the end
- Focusing capabilities of the microlenses, light in the center of the charge collection has increased, the charge read out at the end of the light is reduced
- Therefore, in reading the charge of B, it becomes difficult to receive light G, to prevent mixing
- Widest area of B. By mixing pixels with narrow spacing of the pixels (light receiving portion for receiving the G colored in B) to prevent
- Read the charge and B matches the central microlens. And easy to read the charges received by B, to prevent mixing
- Improve performance by preventing the mixing color separation
Canon is a sensor manufacturer, this sort of research and development was almost a given. There’s lots of advancements to be made in sensor technology.
If anyone has better knowledge of this type of technology, please join the discussion on the forum thread.