Archive for the ‘Canon Rumors Site Information’ Category
Time to address the questions
I am getting a ton of questions regarding the 5D Mark II and how much longer it’s going to be a current camera. While I obviously have nothing definitive, there are been a few pieces of information come my way in regards to a Canon roadmap.
5D Mark III
- A Q2/Q3 announcement in 2011, this is not yet decided within Canon.
- Big megapixel boost, 28mp +
- Continue to build on EOSHD and supreme image quality.
- A variant of the 7D AF system.
- I can’t see them not calling it 5D Mark III, the 5D name carries a lot of weight.
- Expect it to be in the same $2699 range the 5D Mark II was at launch.
- Obvious ergonomic upgrades.
I get asked a lot if people are safe to buy a 5D Mark II now. The answer is “yes”, it’s a great camera today and it’ll still be a great camera in a year.
There is not a lot of urgency for Canon & Nikon to launch new higher end cameras in the current economic climate. Things look to improve in 2011. The 5D Mark II also still sells extremely well.
I need a couple of forum moderators, just send “Canon Rumors Guy” a message from within the forum.
A state of the union of sorts
With Photokina here, this marks the end of some kind of calendar, so I’ll do some new years resolutions of sort.
- Learn more about digital SLR video. I MUST become far more versed in this area, and I will. I will be buying a 60D as soon as I can and really getting down to it. I get a lot of questions about it that I cannot answer.
- Go to more trade shows and report from them. I will be going to the Henry’s show in Mississauga for sure (a large photo show in Canada). I will also be looking into attending CES in January. Photokina 2012 is a definite.
- I only had one day there this time, but I tried to cover as much as possible. I write pretty short articles and try to be straight to the point. There’s lots of places around you can read 85 page articles about a piece of gear, I don’t think you need me doing the same thing.
- Stay focused on rumors, that’s why you’re all here. I will work harder to bring more profiles and reviews in the coming weeks and months during the slow periods.
- Fix the server issues I have at Canon Rumors. I am currently working on that issue right now. I hope to have it resolved once and for all. I am exhausted worrying about it.
- More sponsored giveaways. There’s lots of great stuff we’ve given away in the past, I want to do more of that and I will.
- I am going to be far more diligent in returning emails. I’ve been lazy about that in the past. No more!
I have a few more things from Photokina 2010 to write about and I’ll be doing that later today.
If you haven’t visited Steve Huff’s web site, please do so. He mostly talks about Leica stuff, but there’s some great real world articles about people and photography.
He’s a passionate guy and I think the first Leica dedicated blog.
Back to the rumors soon, the glow of Photokina will fade quickly. Don’t expect Canon to wait too long in announcing more products.
New Stuff Goodness
You can preorder all the new Canon cameras now. I’m still waiting on the lens pricing to appear. Canon Canada still lists the pricing as “TBD” (To be decided).
Even if it lists them as “in-stock” consider it pre-orders until at least the middle of September.
Canon EOS 60D Body
Canon PowerShot S95
Canon PowerShot SD4500 IS
Canon PowerShot SX130 IS
The price watch pages have also been updated with the new camera bodies.
Will that be all?
We’ll find out soon enough if Canon is done for Photokina.
I’ll go ahead and say no, there are definitely new PowerShots coming, G12 and SX30 anyone? Will they be announced alongside a 1Ds Mark IV or beside a 2000D?
Right & Wrong
So how’d we do rumor wise on this round of announcements.
- We pretty much nailed this camera.
70-300 f/4-5.6L IS
- We sort of got this correct. I reported that a 70-300 replacement was coming a while ago, then we found a 100-300 rumor on a web site.
I think this lens will be a great addition to the Canon line-up. The old 70-300 was a bit misplaced.
8-15 f/4L Fisheye
- Really had no clue a fisheye zoom was coming. We saw a report of an 8-15, but that’s about it. This is a darn cool lens based on specs.
300 f/2.8L IS II & 400 f/2.8L IS II
- Nailed the 300 and knew a second super telephoto was coming. Noted they’d be replaced in pairs. Nailed this one a while ago. Very happy about these lenses!
- Knew about them a while ago.
I’m getting married today, so this is me signing off. I really won’t be blogging before, during or after the wedding today.
Photokina 2010 Cologne, Germany
I’ll be there & live blogging from Photokina on September 20 & September 21.
If you’d like me to visit your booth and blog about your great products, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If anyone wants to hang out in Cologne, let me know. It’ll be a blast!
August 26, 2010
I get married this day, yep.. a Thursday! If something happens in the world of Canon, I will be unable to tell you about it.
CRGal puts up with my insane love of photography and all things Canon, I can give her one day only about her and us.
I will be streaming the wedding to my Canadian folks with a Rebel T2i, CRGal can’t completely shut me down! :)
I’ll be in Ireland, France and Germany in August & September. I won’t be back in Canada until October.
I am working on some new profile interviews, there’s so many interesting photographers out there. If I didn’t email you yet, don’t fret. I will get to more folks soon!
Lots of exciting things coming!
Thanks for the great response, I will go through them this evening and send some emails out on Saturday.
No more entries accepted at this time!
Be featured here
Poor David Jackson has been at the top of the site alone for a long while now. I need some more folks for profiles.
Requirements for profile (For now)
- Making a the majority of your living doing photography
- A professional web site
- Shoot Canon
- Self portrait required
- Be a nice person
I want to do “amateurs” in the future, so please do not feel slighted. I’m still working out how to get interviews completed with the busy lives photographers lead.
I want to move fast on this.
Canon Rumors Forum
The easiest solution to the comments issue at Canon Rumors is to bring the forum back.
The forum will be very integrated into the Canon Rumors site to make it easy to comment and discuss posts. You can obviously also add your own posts.
The domain for the forum should propagate over the next 24 hours.
I will be tweaking and playing around with this. I’ve added a forum suggestion category as well. If you have ideas, please let me know.
Some folks expressed interest in moderating for CR, I will get back to you.
I’ll work hard getting the forum populated with stuff, you can help out with that as well.
I no longer have a “day job”. I am now solely Canon Rumors and Lens Rentals Canada.
I will have a lot more time to focus on this site, which I’m looking very forward too.
I believe in the soft sell and try not to have too many ads on the site.
A lot of great work has been put into our new and improved price watch pages. Some of you may have noticed. There are a lot more retailers and the prices are about as accurate as humanly possible.
Whenever you buy from any of the price watch links, Canon Rumors receives financial support. This is now my livelyhood, so if you wouldnt mind….. :)
If you don’t, please do not feel guilty. Support your local stores if you have them. They’re important parts of our community.
Thanks to Gordon for the great work on the price watch pages.
Thanks to the readers for allowing this life change.
Why? The old design was uninspiring and horribly coded by yours truly. Adding anything to the site was a painstaking endeavor. This new site is completely widgetized and the backend is setup to make adding and removing functionality a breeze. I’m happy about that.
There’s still some design stuff to take shape, I don’t like my logo or the header area of the site. I’ll worry about that soon.
New Stuff: Photographer Profiles!
I’ve wanted to do this for a long time. Canon Rumors is a popular site and I’d like to share the traffic with talented photographers. I’m going to do a profile every month.
For now, Mr David E Jackson will get the remainder of March and all of April.
Read the interview and check out his sites, I love his work.
Want to be profiled? Send me an email and I’ll check you out. I don’t really have any criteria, just cool folks!
There will be more reviews on the site. Yes, there’s lots of reviews out there. However, if you’re like me, you’ll read every last review you can find about something.
I have plans for some other cool stuff. Look for it in the fall, I think you’ll love it.
Why More Content?
A few reasons really.
1) I do not want to get bored. The core of this site is rumors and always will be. I do need to do more with my day though.
2) Rumor quality. Recently the rumor quality on this site has taken a hit. That’s completely my fault. I get it in my head I have to post something every single day. I know that isn’t the case. There are going to be slow times. We’ve been very successful in the past with rumors and I want to get back to that. Having other content to tide us over can only be a good thing.
We’re still troubleshooting a site issue.
Where are the forums?
I had a love/hate with the forums. I think the forums could work on this site if done properly…. they weren’t.
I will bring the forums back when they can tie in better with WordPress, there needs to be some automation. Lots of people here want to discuss stuff and have some fun on forums.
I promise they’ll be back and 100 times better.
The downside? Everything currently on them will probably not be migrated over. I’ll do my best though.
ETA for the forums to come back? Sometime in the next 60 days.
Canon EOS 700D
It’s rare I get a good Photoshop job that I actually want to share on the site, but I liked this submission from Jan.
EOS 700D Concept by Jan | Click for larger
I love the scrollwheel!