1D Mark V Featureset Rumors
I received an email today outlining additional features of the upcoming 1D Mark V. Please note I do not yet have a [CR3] confirmation of a 1D Mark V being announced in August.
- The 1D Mark V will have “built-in cropping”. You will be able to choose between full frame (32.4 mp), APS-H (27 mp) and APS-C (21 mp).
- You can buy additional focusing screens to emulate cropping.
- The fps are linked to the cropping factor. You can get 8.4 fps with APS-C and only 3.1 fps with full frame.
- sRAW1 and sRAW2 is possible to speed up fps.
- Burst mode will give you a max of 10.1 fps depending on the image size and buffer.
- Expect some video tweaks.
- RAW video was only enabled for the engineers.
- Either a 24-70 II (no IS) or a 35 II will be announced with it.
This is a BIG [CR1], rumor stuff is starting to heat up. I am going to post stuff that has at least ideas that are plausible.
1D Mark V
It’s rare to see a spec list such as the one below. It goes down the same path as most information coming in. The 1D & 1Ds will be merged into the 1D Mark V. The 1Ds will be replaced by a more studio oriented camera and called something else.
Specs of the 1D MK V
- Image ratio w:h 3:2
- Effective pixels 32,2 megapixels
- Sensor photo detectors 32.5 megapixels
- Sensor size Full frame (36 x 24 mm)
- Sensor type CMOS
- Processor Digic 5
- ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, 12800 (50, 25600, 51200 and 102400 Hi)
- White balance presets 8
- Custom white balance Yes
- Image stabilization No
- Uncompressed format RAW JPEG quality levels Fine,
- Normal (can have ratios programmed)
- Autofocus Contrast Detect (sensor), Phase Detect, Multi-area, Selective single-point, Single, Continuous, Face Detection, Live View
- Digital zoom No
- Manual focus Yes
- Number of focus points 45
- Lens mount Canon EF mount
- Focal length multiplier 1.0×
- Articulated LCD Fixed
- Screen size 3.2″
- Screen dots 1.200,000
- Touch screen No Live view Yes
- Viewfinder type Optical (pentaprism)
- Viewfinder coverage 100 %
- Viewfinder magnification 0.76×
- Minimum shutter speed 30 sec
- Maximum shutter speed 1/8000 sec
- Aperture priority Yes
- Shutter priority Yes
- Manual exposure mode Yes
- Subject / scene modes No
- Built-in flash No
- External flash Yes (Hot-shoe plus Sync connector)
- Flash modes External / Radio Controlled
- Continuous drive Yes (9.1 fps)
- Self-timer Yes (2 or 10 sec)
- Metering modes Multi Center-weighted, Spot
- Exposure compensation ±3 EV (at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)
- AE Bracketing ±3 (3 frames at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)
- WB Bracketing Yes (3 frames in either blue/amber or magenta/green axis)
- Format H.264
- Audio channels Stereo
- Clips Yes (1920 x 1080 (120, 60, 30, 25, 24 fps, 1280 x 720 (120, 60, 50 fps), 640 x 480 (120, 60, 50 fps))
- HD Modes 1920 x 1080 (120, 60, 30, 25, 24 fps, 1280 x 720 (120, 60, 50 fps), 640 x 480 (120, 60, 50 fps) FPS 1920 x 1080 (120, 60, 30, 25, 24 fps, 1280 x 720 (120, 60, 50 fps), 640 x 480 (120, 60, 50 fps)
- Storage types Compact Flash (Type I or II), UDMA, SD/SDHC card
- Storage included None
- USB USB 3.0
- HDMI Yes
- Remote control Yes (N3 connector)
- Environmentally sealed Yes
- Battery Battery Pack
- Battery description Lithium-Ion LP-E4 rechargeable battery & charger
- Battery Life (CIPA) 1500
- Weight (inc. batteries) 1228 g
- Dimensions 157 x 159 x 80 mm
- Orientation sensor Yes
- Timelapse recording Yes (by cable and PC)
I’ll be posting more of the random stuff I get daily. Things are starting to heat up a bit as announcement season is nearly upon us.
- Canon Australia has sent CPS management to Singapore for product training. [CR2]
- Any Canon announcement will come after Nikon’s announcement on August 24, 2011. [CR2]
- 5D Mark III’s are in the wild and an announcement is imminent [CR1]
- 1D Mark IV’s are out of stock or hard to come by in certain countries. A retailer in New Zealand actually said they won’t be getting any more. [CR1]
- 1Ds Mark IV resolution correction, I’m told it will actually be 36mp.
That’s it from today.
Spec lists have been few and far between for any upcoming DSLR, this is the first one I’ve seen in a while. The commenter didn’t know if this was going to be branded 1D or 1Ds.
- 32mp CMOS (Full Frame)
- Evolved 45 point AF system (current 1D4)
- Dual DIGIC 5
- CF & SD Slots
- New Battery
- 3,7,9 fps
- ISO Range 50-102,400
- Ergonomic Changes
- 100% VF
- 3.2″ LCD (Highest Resolution Ever)
- Improved AF in LiveView
- Unknown Movie Mode and specifications
- Unknown if there will be a wireless flash commander
- In camera software feature upgrades
I expect a lot of these in the next month or so.
I’ve heard 2 different dates so far. I do expect multiple announcements dates for PowerShot and EOS.
August 18, 2011. I don’t recall the last Canon announcement to happen on a Thursday. Most, if not all are on a Monday/Tuesday depending on where you are on the planet.
August 30, 2011. This would come after Nikon’s announcements.
I don’t see September 6, 2011 as a possibility due to the long September weekend.
No 1Ds, however……
I’m told a mid September announcement for a 1D Mark V. It will be a full frame high fps camera that will lead to the amalgamation of the 1Ds/1D line.
Availability for the camera will be at the end of October.
The camera will have a “digital cropping mode”.
Lots of talk about this, I’ve yet to see anything definitive. Though it makes a lot of sense to me.
1D Mark IV for $4999 @ B&H