No, there are no direct replacements coming soon.
The issue with shortages is to do with the floods in Thailand and parts needed to manufacture the cameras. Nikon is having the same troubles and the D7000 is experiencing the same issues.
I haven’t heard if any other Canon DSLR is affected.
5D Mark II – Canada
In Canada, the 5D Mark II body only is out there for $1999 at Henry’s and Vistek.
5D Mark II – USA
There will be an instant rebate on the 5D Mark II in the USA starting September 25 and running until October 29, 2011.
Let me know if your country sees a big rebate on the 5D Mark II
Firmware 2.0.9 for 5D Mark II
Firmware Version 2.0.9 incorporates the following improvements and fixes.
1. Improves writing/reading speeds when using UDMA 7-compatible CF cards.
2. Fixes a phenomenon where the IS function will not work when custom function C.Fn III-2 is set to [5: IS start] and the lens attached does not have an AF stop button. This is because custom function C.Fn III-2 allows users to assign IS start to the AF stop button on the lens
3. Corrects misspellings in the menu screens displayed in Arabic, Portuguese, Spanish, and Thai languages.
Effective December 6, 2010, Canon will start to provide as a chargeable service, a locking mode dial modification for the “EOS 5D MarkII” and “EOS 7D” digital single-lens reflex cameras.
This modification is available, for a fee, to owners of these cameras who would prefer a Mode Dial which locks in place and can’t be accidentally moved during normal camera operation.
For USA residents, the pricing of the locking mode dial modification service for EOS 5D Mark II and 7D cameras has been set at $100 per camera as of December, 2010. (Pricing and availability subject to change without notice.) For further details, see contact information for inquiries below.
Once modified, users must first press and hold down the central lock-release button in order to turn the Mode Dial. The modification is intended to prevent the Mode Dial from accidentally moving, once set to a particular exposure mode by the user.
EOS 5D Mark II Digital SLR Cameras
EOS 7D Digital SLR Cameras
This firmware update (Version 2.0.8) incorporates the following changes and fixes.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which movies are not taken at the shooting mode registered in the user’s settings if a shooting mode Aperture priority (or Shutter priority) is registered in any of the camera’s user settings (C1, C2, C3) and the user attempts to shoot a movie.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the shutter will not release when pressing the shutter button when the auto power off function is set to “on”.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which overexposure occurs when shooting a Live View shooting simulation with the ISO speed set to L.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the settings of the Speedlite transmitter ST-E2 revert to the default settings when both the camera and the ST-E2 are set to auto power off.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the Macro Ring Lite (MR-14EX, MT-24EX) and slave flash do not sync while shooting wirelessly.