From Magic Lantern
The Magic Lantern team is letting the world know that they are at the beginning of a new function for the 5D Mark III and EOS 7D. Apparently they’ve figured out a way to boost dynamic range by 3 stops by using a new way of making a photograph by using ISO 100 for some of the vertical lines and ISO 1600 for the rest of it. Sounds wild to us, not sure how they’re doing that. There will be a process to combining the lines of 100/1600 ISO to give you the full resolution file.
From Alex at ML
- Works for both photos and raw videos on Canon EOS 5D Mark III. On Canon EOS 7D, photo only (since it can’t do raw video).
- What are the benefits? more dynamic range (less shadow noise).
- The functionality was not really in Canon firmware, but in the chip that samples the sensor. Canon firmware does not make any use of it (they just set both ISO “registers” to the same value). It was implemented on the hardware side though (and that’s why it works only on these 2 cameras, because only they have two ISO amplifiers).
Read more at Planet5D | Visit Magic Lantern
Magic Lantern is onto something…
There have been a lot of posts lately about Magic Lantern’s breakthrough enabling RAW video recording on the Canon EOS 5D Mark III.
Below is an ISO test of the standard H.264 of the 5D3, and what the RAW video from Magic Lantern looks like. This was done by Dustin J Tolman.
The results are pretty remarkable and easy to see, this software is still in its early stages and will probably get a lot better over the next few months.
An ISO test comparing Canons H264 compression vs Magic Lantern’s 14 Bit RAW hack.
• First I converted the RAW files with ML’s raw2dng.
• Next I dragged the files into Photoshop which opened up Adobe Camera Raw.
• I selected the first image and used the auto white balance setting which got rid of the heavy magenta tone.
• Then I synchronized the additional files, and exported them as 16bit tiff files.
• First I tried to use QuickTime 7 to create an image sequence, but it render the video with incorrect color.
• So instead of QT I ended up using Final Cut Pro X to create an image sequence to a ProRes 422 HQ output.
Canon 5dmk3 @ F8
Canon 70-200 2.8L IS II @ 200mm
Music – Soundgiant
Read more about this test at Planet5D.com | EOS 5D Mark III at B&H Photo
From Magic Lantern
Magic Lantern has unlocked RAW video recording in the Canon EOS 5D Mark III. From early reports the quality of the video files is pretty amazing and might be better than the C300 and definitely better than the BlackMagic Cinema Camera.
You can read about the workflow, see sample videos and more at EOSHD.
Read Mor at EOSHD | EOS 5D Mark III at B&H Photo
There has been a lot of questions wondering when Canon will release a firmware update similar to the EOS-1D X that adds the blinking red AF point when in AI servo mode. While I figured they were working on it, I wasn’t quite sure why it hadn’t been brought to market or included with the announced and upcoming firmware update.
This is a direct quote of what I have been told:
They are testing that at the moment but don’t know if it is possible to implement. The former system had a different type of focusing screen and it was easy to handle because it had no reflection in the viewfinder. The new system, with the LCD screen inside the viewfinder is reflecting the red light back and this can affect the light metering system. In the EOS-1D X, the viewfinder box is bigger than in EOS 5D Mark III, which aids in making it possible and workable. In the EOS-1D X they alternate red illumination and metering, and this is why there is the red blinking. With the EOS 5D Mark III, they are testing it but they are not sure if they can make it operate in the same way.
This sounds logical enough, and it’s good to know they are trying to implement it.
5D Mark III at Norman (Body | Kit), B&H (Body | Kit) Amazon (Body | Kit), Adorama (Body | Kit)
Not included in the April update?
I’m wondering aloud if we’ll see the blinking red AF point firmware update for the EOS 5D Mark III before April?
Maybe the recent clean HDMI out software from Magic Lantern forced their hand.