Archive for the ‘Canon Mirrorless’ Category
Canon APS-H 1.3x mirrorless
Various reports have come in about a mirrorless camera from Canon that will use an APS-H (1.3x crop) sensor.
The plan within Canon is to keep the APS-H sensor size alive, as it won’t be appearing in the next 1D.
1) They think that APS-C in general and their 1.6x (versus others’ 1.5x) in particular is becoming increasingly difficult to improve on, update after update.
2) Sensor production costs have fallen and there isn’t much difference betw 1.6x and 1.3x for Canon.
3) Canon develop a new 1.3x sensor for the 1D series every few years and no other camera shared the R&D cost with the 1D before, but this time round the 16MP sensor of 1D4 will have a new use.
4) Weight and size can be taken care of by design. So a larger sensor does not necessarily mean a heavier and bulkier package than the competition.
This all seems a little bit crazy to me. I’ll reserve real judgement for the time being. I’ll be paying close attention to the comments section to see what the tech folks think about this.
NL posted about this today as well.
Jeff Ascough teasing us
Jeff Ascough posted on his twitter that he’s testing a new rangefinder.
Could it be Canon? Maybe a digital Bessa? Howabout a digital Ikon?
Its definitely not a Nikon or a Leica.
The back and forth on Canon entering the EVIL (Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lenses) market continues. This time appearing in Amateur Photographer magazine.
“Canon is ‘proceeding with the development’ of a mirror-less interchangeable lens camera to compete against models launched by Panasonic, Olympus and Samsung, a senior Canon DSLR official is reported to have told the Japanese press.”
There will be no EVIL camera in 2010 from Canon as we’ve reported before. 2011, we may see one.
It is strange to hear that a “senior Canon official” has spilled the beans on development. The rest of the article goes on to say what is obvious, if there’s demand………. they’ll build it.
Read More: Amateur Photographer
The stuff I’m told
I’m told a lot of stuff every day about upcoming products, especially recently. Here are the CR1 rumors I’ve received in the last couple of weeks.
1) Announcement on March 10, 2010 (That would be a weird day of the week for an announcement, I’d expect the 8th or 9th as per Canon tradition)
2) Canon is waiting for the upcoming “D700x” to introduce a new full frame camera.
3) A host of new professional products for WPPI. This would make availability of new lenses perfect for wedding photographers.
5) Canon doesn’t care about the EVIL market and isn’t even doing R&D on such a camera type.
6) Some of the Big White Lenses get a redo for the World Cup in South Africa. They may just be test lenses, and not publicly available.
7) The 1Ds Mark IV is coming in February, March, April, May and for Photokina.
8) 5D Mark III for Photokina with serious video applications.
9) DIGIC V for Photokina.
10) G11 will be the last of the current “G” series design. Complete redo and model name for the next one.
These are rumors from people I’ve never heard from. So take them all with a grain of salt and we’ll see what becomes of them.
A Canon EVIL?
A new rumor has appeared the web about Canon announcing an EVIL camera.
Apparently Canon will unveil soon an EVIL system smaller than m4/3.It’ll be based on the APS-C sensor, apparently same sensor as the 7D, but with a reduced Image Circle, 18mm
- It’ll be based on the APS-C sensor, apparently same sensor as the 7D, but with a reduced Image Circle, 18mm.
- 3 New lenses. Zoom Kit EF-X 12-36mm, 36-166mm and 15mm f2.4 Pancake.
- There will be an adapter to use EF and EF-S lenses.
- 720p 30fps video.
- Articulated LCD
This goes against most of what I’ve been told about a Canon entry into the EVIL category. I’ll ask around
1Ds Mark IV
A few reports saying we shouldn’t be expecting a 1Ds Mark IV in the near future.
It is super slow at the moment. I’m receiving no information. I’ve been able to spend my time healing my thumb and working on a new venture. The new venture will be announced next week if all goes well. It’s mostly for Canadians, but some of you may be interested in it anyway.
What does CR Guy See Coming?
As always, trying to predict what giant multinational corporations is going to do with product development can be hard, but I’ll give it a go.
Canon needs to get back in the game as far as DSLR’s go. There is a perception that Canon has fallen behind Nikon as far as tech goes. Is it true? Maybe a little bit. There’s no reason Canon can’t be out front of Nikon, they have the resources and manufacturing capabilities to take back the crown.
1Ds Mark IV
- 32mp or higher sensor.
- Same autofocus system as 1D4
- New video features to separate it from the rest of the lineup.
- DIGIC IV
The Rebel Line
- Two new cameras
- One camera will be 12mp and the other 18mp (Same as the 7D)
- One camera will have an articulating display
- Both cameras will have movie modes, one being better than the other.
- Ergonomic upgrades (Scrollwheel!) Maybe more of a wish than a prediction
- New chipped batteries
- Both cameras in the 3fps to 4fps range
- 18mp sensor (Same as 7D)
- 720p Video Mode @ 30fps. 1080p maybe.
- A new autofocus system based on the 7D, but less focus points.
- Missing some of the 7D bells and whistles like the electronic level.
- Smaller VF than the 7D
- This is actually a hard camera to predict. What will they leave out from the 7D?
- FF in the 16-21mp range.
- DIGIC V
- New sensor technology
- Same size as 5D2
- 7D Autofocus system
- 1080p movie mode, same as 5D2
EVIL (Electronic viewfinder interchangeable lenses)
There will be no Micro 4/3 style camera from Canon in 2010. If they ever get on board, they will be the last one to do so.
So that makes 5 new SLR’s in 2010. That could be far fetched, but why not? 2010 is going to be a better year for most everyone.
Part 2 (Later today)
I will focus on lenses.
EVIL (Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens)
43rumors says they have it on good authority that Canon is about to release a Canonet GIII style digital camera with interchangeable lenses.
I haven’t heard even a peep from anyone in a long time about this type of camera.