Archive for the ‘Canon PowerShot’ Category
The Canon Power Shot S120 Point-and-Shoot Camera is a compact point-and-shoot camera featuring a 12.1 megapixel 1/1.7″ high-sensitivity CMOS sensor and DIGIC 6 image processor to produce high quality still imagery and full HD 1080p video with notable low-light quality and sensitivity from ISO 80-12800. The sensor and processor work together to form the Canon HS SYSTEM, which helps to improve the image quality of dimly-lit shots by reducing noise and enhancing the overall clarity. Additionally, the processor offers a range of speed-related assets throughout the camera, including a maximum sustained full-resolution continuous shooting rate of 9.4 fps for over 600 shots as well as a High Speed AF system for maintained sharpness in a variety of shooting conditions.
The built-in Canon 5x optical zoom lens provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 24-120mm, covering wide-angle to telephoto length perspectives. A maximum f/1.8-5.7 aperture contributes to working in low-light conditions and also benefits shallow depth of field and selective focus shooting techniques. Also aiding working in dim conditions is the inclusion of Intelligent IS image stabilization, which automatically utilizes one of six different distinct modes to help minimize the appearance of camera shake depending on shooting conditions.
For live view monitoring, image review, and menu navigation, a large 3.0″ 922k-dot touchscreen LCD monitor is integrated into the S120′s design and facilitates intuitive navigation along with clear viewing. The touchscreen interface gives way to Touch AF along with other touch-specific camera controls that are ideally-suited to use when recording video. The efficiency of the touchscreen also supports use of the built-in wireless capabilities for instantly sharing imagery from the camera to mobile devices. By using the free Canon CameraWindow app, available for Android and iOS devices, photos and videos can be sent to the device for direct sharing online through the CANON iMAGE GATEWAY.
- 12.1MP High-Sensitivity CMOS Sensor and DIGIC 6 Image Processor
- The 12.1 megapixel 1/1.7″ CMOS sensor and DIGIC 6 image processor work in concert to produce high resolution still imagery and full HD video recording with notable low-light sensitivity and quality. The combination of these two technologies creates the Canon HS SYSTEM, which provides a maximum sensitivity of ISO 12800 with minimal noise and enhanced clarity to truly benefit impressive image making in dimly-lit situations. The processor also contributes to overall speed throughout the camera, including High Speed AF, Manual Focus Peaking, and a top full-resolution continuous shooting rate of 12.1 fps for the first six images with a sustained shooting rate of 9.4 fps for over 600 consecutive images, as well as 1080p video recording at 60 fps.
- Canon 5x Optical Zoom Lens
- The built-in Canon 5x optical zoom lens provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 24-120mm, covering wide-angle to telephoto perspectives to suit working in a wide array of situations. A maximum f/1.8-5.7 aperture benefits working in low-lit conditions and also supports the creation of selective focus and shallow depth of field imagery. The lens’ performance is further enhanced through the inclusion of Intelligent IS image stabilization, which helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by automatically selecting from six different optimized stabilization modes depending on the specific shooting conditions. The Normal setting corrects for a wide range of movements and is ideal for still photography; the Panning setting detects when panning shots are being made and does not compensate for lateral shake; the Macro (Hybrid) setting specifically corrects for shift-type shake that is common when working with close-up subject matter; the Dynamic mode is highly effective for video work and wide-angle settings and helps to minimize common shake that occurs while walking or moving with the camera; the Powered setting is suited for shooting at the telephoto end of the zoom range when hand shake is most prevalent; and Tripod mode simply turns off the IS since it is no longer needed.
- Full HD Video Recording
- Full HD 1080p video recording is supported with a frame rate up to 60 fps for high resolution, fluid rendering of subjects with integrated stereo sound recording. Touch AF control provides an intuitive means for modifying the focus point as well as zoom and in-camera playback. Direct playback is also possible on an HDTV via the integrated HDMI port and 60 fps movies are saved in the Internet-friendly MP4 format for expedited online sharing and editing. When recording at 30 fps, the DIGIC 6 processor and Fine Movie Detail Processing work together to enhance noise reduction and overall clarity.
- Built-In Wireless Connectivity
- Built-in Wi-Fi allows direct, wireless transferring of photos and videos to mobile devices and PCs for instant online sharing to social networking sites and cloud-based storage sites. The CANON iMAGE GATEWAY helps to expedite this process through an intuitive workflow and the free Canon CameraWindow app, available for iOS and Android devices, enables efficient transferring control and also permits GPS tagging to images. An enhanced Wi-Fi set-up also works to streamline connecting to wireless hot spots, too, as WEP Key input is no longer needed and wireless preferences can easily be modified through a web browser. Additionally, Automatic Switching via the Image Sync function works to automatically sync images with any discovered and linked PC within a designated network or, alternatively, images are temporarily sent to the CANON iMAGE GATEWAY for later transferring.
- 3.0″ Touchscreen LCD Monitor
- A large, bright 3.0″ 922k-dot touchscreen LCD monitor is integrated into the camera’s design and supports highly efficient camera control as well as live view monitoring and image playback. Familiar touchscreen controls, such as Touch Shutter, Touch AF, pinching, and swiping, help to make this system of navigation both practical and intuitive.
- Other Camera Features
- Background Defocus mode is a useful mode for applying shallow depth of field techniques to imagery for more control over the point of focus within an image.
- Multi aspect RAW permits shooting in a variety of aspect ratios (16:9, 3:2, 4:3, 1:1, and 4:5) with the uncompressed 12-bit RAW file type to more individually suit the type of image being created. RAW+JPEG shooting is also supported.
- A manual control ring is set around the lens to provide familiar, intuitive control over many of the shooting controls, including focus, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, step zoom, exposure compensation, aspect ratio, i-Contrast, and white balance.
- Built-in HDR image creation automatically records multiple frames into a single image to garner greater highlight and shadow detail with an extended range of mid-tones.
- Sub-modes, such as Art Bold, Art Vivid, Art Standard, and Art Embossed, allow you to more precisely refine the final output and appearance of imagery in-camera.
- Dedicated star shooting modes benefit shooting photos and movies of the night sky and work to balance the exposure settings necessary for nighttime shooting.
- Hybrid Auto records four seconds of HD 720p video with each still image and then automatically joins the stills and movies together into a highlight reel.
- Canon’s Direct Print system is supported for expedited connection and printing with a PIXMA or SELPHY directly from the camera.
- Shooting modes: Custom, Manual, Aperture-Priority, Shutter-Priority, Program, Movie Digest & Hybrid Auto, Smart AUTO, Portrait, Smart Shutter, Star shooting modes, Handheld Night Scene, Underwater, Snow, Fireworks, Creative Filters, High Dynamic Range, Nostalgic, Fisheye Effect, Miniature Effect, Toy Camera Effect, Background Defocus, Soft Focus, Monochrome, Super Vivid, Poster Effect, Movie, and Super Slow Motion Movie.
- Language support: English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Portuguese, Korean, Greek, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Turkish, Thai, Arabic, Romanian, Ukrainian, Farsi, Hindi, Malay, Indonesian, and Vietnamese.
This is one of those products that should never have been developed………
Melville, N.Y., August 22, 2013 – To address the popular trend of instantly sharing photos and videos with family and friends, Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced a new version of its uniquely designed PowerShot N digital camera – the PowerShot N Facebook ready digital camera. A Canon Direct exclusive, the PowerShot N Facebook ready digital camera features a convenient Facebook Connect Button that supports instant sharing of crisp, clear images and videos to users’ Facebook accounts.
Helping people’s creativity shine through, the PowerShot N Facebook ready digital camera’s Creative Shot mode automatically creates a series of five artistic photos along with the original for an array of options that are ready to impress. With the convenient Facebook Connect Button and Wi-Fi® technology, the PowerShot N Facebook ready digital camera connects the camera directly to users’ Facebook accounts, so they can upload, comment and share their most creative, detailed images while on-the-go.
In addition to offering powerful artistic and connectivity functions, the PowerShot N Facebook ready digital camera features a 2.8-inch capacitive, tilt-touch panel LCD, allowing users to capture creative images at unique angles. With a shutter and zoom ring, both located around the lens, images can be snapped easily from the top or bottom of the ring so the perfect shot is always within reach.
The PowerShot N Facebook ready digital camera offers an 8x optical zoom and a 28mm wide-angle lens, packaged with a 12.1-megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor and DIGIC 5 Image Processor. Users can also record high-quality 1080p Full HD video with a dedicated movie button. With Hybrid Auto users can automatically create a composite video of brief clips that are recorded while taking photos to give a creative overview of a day’s activities. The PowerShot N Facebook ready’s Face ID system allows for the camera to automatically recognize and focus on familiar faces. In addition, Canon’s Intelligent IS System allows the camera to automatically select the optimal image stabilization settings according to the shooting conditions, taking the guesswork out of identifying the ideal setting for each unique shot.
“At Canon, we are continually working to improve the way users share their photos and videos,” said Yuichi Ishizuka, executive vice president and general manager, Imaging Technologies & Communications Group, Canon U.S.A. “The new PowerShot N Facebook ready digital camera, with the Facebook Connect Button, opens up a new dimension of photographic sharing and expression to help people showcase their personal style and creative flair with powerful innovative Canon technologies.
Wi-Fi Connectivity for Easy Sharing To make sure users can instantly share photos and videos with family and friends, the PowerShot N Facebook ready digital camera now features a convenient Facebook Connect Button. After an initial one-time set-up, pressing the new Facebook Connect Button links the camera to the users’ Facebook account for quick and easy sharing. Users can also control the destination of their Facebook uploads by choosing to share content with everyone, or to select Facebook groups.
The PowerShot N Facebook ready digital camera is also equipped with built-in Wi-Fi® technology, so high-quality images can be shared with friends and family even while on-the-go. Users now have the ability to comment on their uploaded photos directly from the camera – so starting a conversation on social networking sites is easy and convenient. Users can also instantly upload images wirelessly from the camera to CANON iMAGE GATEWAYi, and upload them to a computer remotely. Photos can also be printed wirelessly using Wireless PictBridgeii on select printers, including the Canon PIXMA MG7120 or PIXMA MG5520 Wireless Photo All-In-One printers.
The Ultimate Tool to Capture Creativity
Creative Shot, available on the PowerShot N Facebook ready digital camera, is an easy, yet powerful tool to add artistic effects to photos. In Creative Shot mode, users compose their shot and let the PowerShot N Facebook ready digital camera automatically create a series of five artistic photos along with the original to deliver creative new perspectives using different color modes, crops and styles. In addition, the new PowerShot N Facebook ready digital camera offers 58 scenes of Smart AUTO and provides an 8x optical zoom to help users capture the ultimate creative shot.
A first-ever for the PowerShot line-up, the camera’s zoom lens and shutter are both operated on the camera’s dual-ring lens. By moving the dual-ring left or right users can control the camera’s zoom, and by pressing on the other ring users control the shutter, which can be released from the top or bottom of the ring, so managing the PowerShot N Facebook ready digital camera is easy and effortless.
The PowerShot N Facebook ready digital camera features a touch shutter, enabling users to start tracking a subject simply by pressing the intuitive touch panel LCD, and then capture the image by lifting their finger off the screen. For added flexibility, the image on the screen rotates with the camera – so people can capture even the most unique shot.
Sleek, Small and Designed for Portability
With a sleek and unique design, the PowerShot N Facebook ready digital camera is ideal for quick on-the-go shooting. This camera features a 2.8-inch capacitive, tilt touch panel LCD, which offers 90 degrees of tilt, encouraging users to capture images from a wide array of angles and positions effectively in virtually any location. The top-mounted hinge keeps the PowerShot N Facebook ready digital camera compact for convenient on-the-go shooting and easy, one-handed operation. The PowerShot N Facebook ready digital camera uses a Micro SD card to store images, and the camera can be easily charged with a USB cable while on-the-go, ensuring the creative process is never interrupted. In addition, the USB cable provides a quick and easy way to download videos as an alternative to the innovative Wi-Fi® options.
Canon will announce a slew of PowerShot cameras tonight. The most noteable is the PowerShot G16 which will get DIGIC 6, faster AF and wireless capabilities.
Canon PowerShot G16 Digital Camera
- 12.1mp CMOS
- DIGIC 6
- 28-140 f/1.8-2.8
- 3″ LCD
- 1080p with 60fps Video
- Built-In Wifi
- Fast AF
Canon PowerShot S120 Digital Camera
- 12.1mp CMOS
- DIGIC 6
- 24-120mm f/1.8-2.8 Lens (35mm Equiv.)
- 3″ LCD
- 1080p with 60fps Video
- Built-In Wifi
- Fast AF
Canon PowerShot SX510 HS Digital Camera
- 12.1MP CMOS
- DIGIC 4
- 30x Zoom
- 3″ LCD
- 1080p with 60fps Video
- Built-In Wifi
What to expect on August 21, 2013
First, we’re told by a great source that only PowerShot announcements will take place on the 21st. We’re also told not to expect anything “high end”, nothing like the Sony RX100 II. I would imagine at least a few new PowerShots will have features that go along with sharing photos.
Which brings us to…. as some have pointed out, the invitation shows a cloud and not an EOS, PowerShot or EF logo like most invites. There’s a good chance that this is for the Project 1709 photo management service. You can visit it at www.project1709.com.
I have feelers out to see if anything bigger in the way of an EOS camera is to be announced or showcased. There is always a possibility of a “development” announcement, as that can afford Canon time to actually get a product to market.
More to come…
From Canon France
The fine people at Canon France sent me a tweet explaining yesterdays mention about large sensor compacts. Their reasoning seems reasonable, however it appears they’ve been migrating their web site for 6 months or so. Hopefully they aren’t paying the folks in charge of that by the hour.
I have talked to a few other sources, and none of them had heard anything as of yet about a cool big sensor compact.
One more thing….
Canon is not overly happy with us at the moment, especially one specific country (not France). However, nothing we do here is about being malicious or to hurt anyone. As such, we apologize to anyone that may have been affected in a negative way by yesterdays posts.
Canon France on Twitter
From Canon France
Placeholders on a Canon France web site allude to compact cameras with full frame and APS-C sensors.
Could these be for EOS M, PowerShot or a new line of cameras from Canon?
We are starting to hear that something beyond the 70D announcement is coming, and we’ll try to confirm that as soon as possible.
You can see the placeholders here.
New S200 and SuperZoom
Two new Canon PowerShot cameras have been leaked. One is the PowerShot S200 and the other looks to be a compact superzoom.
There are no confirmed specs for either camera.
New PowerShots are expected sometime in May/June.
Not a G2X
We’re told that a rethink of a large sensor PowerShot is coming in 2013. It won’t be a G2X and will be designed more like a larger PowerShot S110. It will have a fast short zoom lens and the new 18mp APS-C sensor along with a DIGIC 6 processor. It won’t have an OVF or EVF and will be priced less than the G1X was.
We’re told it will be a late summer announcement along with the regular updates to the PowerShot lineup.
Canon PowerShot SX280 HS Coming Shortly
The most interesting spec is the “DIGIC 6″ that is being reported. We expect to see this camera officially announced this week, lets see if that DIGIC 6 is a typo or not.
- 20x Zoom
- Full HD
- DIGIC 6
LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., January 28, 2013 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced the addition of three stylish, feature-packed PowerShot Digital Cameras: the PowerShot ELPH 330 HS, ELPH 115 IS and A2500. These new models are ideal for photography enthusiasts of all levels looking for great photo quality and excellent video performance in compact, powerful point-and-shoot designs.
The new PowerShot ELPH 330 HS digital camera provides advanced wireless connectivity for easy sharing. Providing great performance in dimly lit situations, the ELPH 330 HS digital camera includes the Company’s HS SYSTEM that delivers clear images with minimal noise and maximum detail even when shooting in low-light. The new cameras offer great features such as Canon’s Smart AUTO, enabling even novice users to get optimal camera performance automatically, so whether photographing a running child or a solo recital on stage the cameras deliver spectacular images with ease. Smart AUTO allows the cameras to detect up to 58 scenes for the PowerShot ELPH 330 HS digital camera and up to 32 scenes for the PowerShot ELPH 115 IS digital camera and PowerShot A2500 digital camera. All three models also feature ECO Mode, an advanced new method that manages power consumption and extends battery life by approximately 30 percent, when enabled, allowing you to shoot more photos for a longer amount of time.
“With the introduction of these sleek, new models to our family of PowerShot digital cameras, we are able to provide our customers with a range of imaging options including more models with wireless connectivity to upload and share their amazing creative images,” said Yuichi Ishizuka, executive vice president and general manager, Imaging Technologies and Communications Group, Canon U.S.A.
PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Digital Camera
Photography today is as much about image quality as it is about sharing, whether through prints or online communities. With this in mind, the PowerShot ELPH 330 HS digital camera builds upon the success of the PowerShot line with built-in advanced wireless capabilities to easily share high-quality images captured with an impressive 10x optical zoom lens and 12.1-megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS image sensor. After an initial one-time set-up, the camera can connect to both iOS® or Android™ smartphones and tabletsi for quick and easy sharing. Users launch Canon’s free CameraWindow applicationii, available on both the iOS® and Android™ operating systemsi, to wirelessly transfer photos and videos from the camera to their device. Frequently used devices and accounts are conveniently stored in the camera’s wireless history menu for quick one-touch access.
With these enhanced wireless capabilities, users now have the ability to comment on their uploaded photos directly from the camera – so being part of conversations taking place on social networking sites is easy and convenient. In addition, individuals can control the destination of Facebook uploads – choosing to share content with everyone, or post photos only to selected Facebook groups. Users can also instantly upload images wirelessly from the camera to Canon iMAGE GATEWAYiii, and automatically upload them to a computer remotely. Photos can also be printed wirelessly using Wireless PictBridgeiv on select Canon wireless inkjet printers, including the new PIXMA MG6320 Photo All-In-One printer, so special moments can be preserved and cherished.
A fantastic multipurpose lens: the PowerShot ELPH 330 HS digital camera provides a 10x optical zoom lens taking images from 24mm wide, up to 240mm at the telephoto end, able to capture that group shot, or zoom in for a dynamic close-up. Great even in low light, the camera’s 12.1-megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS image sensor and DIGIC 5 image processor combine and deliver on Canon’s HS SYSTEM helping ensure detail is captured even in dark or shadowed areas at a maximum ISO speed of up to 6400. For capturing memorable moments on video, at the touch of a dedicated movie-record button, the PowerShot ELPH 330 HS digital camera shoots beautiful 1080p Full HD video and includes a built-in stereo microphone for great sound. Helping document vacations with your own personal highlight reel, the camera’s new Hybrid AUTO mode utilizes a combination of Smart AUTO and Intelligent IS to create a beautiful and steady HD video clip (up to approximately 4 seconds) in Movie Digest mode every time you shoot a still image. Helping ensure you don’t miss those magic moments, the camera features both High Speed AF for fast focusing speed and High-Speed Burst for continuous capture at up to 6.2 frames per second while maintaining superb image quality. The combination of features, including wireless connectivity, Canon’s Intelligent IS system and ECO Mode, help make the PowerShot ELPH 330 HS digital camera a great imaging companion for vacations, all-day sporting events, or family parties.
Expected to hit store shelves in March, the PowerShot ELPH 330 HS digital camera will be available in three modern colors: black, silver and pink for an estimated retail price of $229.99.
PowerShot ELPH 115 IS Digital Camera
The new pocket-able PowerShot ELPH 115 IS digital camera features an 8x optical zoom lens (28-224mm), which provides a focal range to capture most any situation. The PowerShot ELPH 115 IS digital camera includes a 16-megapixel image sensor and DIGIC 4 image processor for exceptional image quality. For those photographers who “shoot it all” and seamlessly move from scene to scene, the PowerShot ELPH 115 IS digital camera provides Canon’s Smart AUTO mode that intelligently selects the proper camera settings based on up to 32 predefined shooting situations for capturing spectacular images in a variety of settings with ease. For creative video capture, users can record HD video with a built-in microphone for great sound. The PowerShot ELPH 115 IS digital camera also includes Canon’s unique Intelligent IS system technology, matching the lens movement with one of six stabilization modes for smooth video and sharp still images. The camera also includes Canon’s new ECO Mode allowing you to shoot more photos for a longer amount of time.
With anticipated in-store availability in March, the PowerShot ELPH 115 IS digital camera will available in four sleek colors: blue, silver, black and pink at an estimated retail price of $169.99.
PowerShot A2500 Digital Camera
Rounding out Canon’s new PowerShot lineup is the PowerShot A2500 digital camera, which includes a 16-megapixel image sensor and DIGIC 4 Image Processor, as well as a 28mm wide-angle lens with 5x optical zoom that can extend out to 140mm at the telephoto end. The camera also features Canon’s Smart AUTO mode that analyzes each scene to intelligently select camera settings based on 32 predefined shooting scenarios to help capture stunning images with ease. The PowerShot A2500 digital camera can also capture great video, recording HD through a dedicated movie button. Helping ensure crisp images, Canon’s Digital IS reduces the effect of camera shake and subject movement. For travelers and those on the go, Canon’s new ECO Mode conserves battery life, allowing you to shoot more photos over a longer period of time. For those photographers looking to be a little more creative, the camera also features various Scene Modes such as Fisheye Effect, Toy Camera Effect and Monochrome to help provide additional creative freedom when capturing your photos. And for those just learning the art of photography, a Help Button will provide simple explanations of camera settings and functions.
Expected for sale in April, the PowerShot A2500 digital camera will be available in silver, red and black for an estimated retail price of $129.99.