Lots of small things
The rumor mill has started to heat up as of late, most of the stuff seems pretty out there. However, stuff is appearing on other sites and in my inbox. I’m not sure how much of it is recycled speculation, but that does happen from time to time.
I’ll rate each bit of information on its own.
3 new DSLR bodies this summer [CR1]
A mention of 3 new EOS bodies before Photokina in September. Only one of them being a full frame camera. It was suggested that an “entry level” full frame camera wouldn’t be announced and it would be an upper level EOS-1D style camera.
7D Mark II to be full frame? [CR1]
I’ve seen this in my inbox a few times, and it has shown up on [cw]. I’ve never really believed this one, I don’t think they can call it “7D Mark II” and change the sensor size from a marketing perspective. There are lots of EF-S lenses in the hands of 7D owners.
I have no doubt there will be a full frame camera under the 5D Mark III, but it can’t have all the prosumer features of the 7D to retain the moniker and stay around $2000. That just doesn’t seem like smart marketing. But hey, I’m not in marketing. :)
Canon EOS 70D [CR1]
More mentions of the 70D moving up the ranks in the APS-C realm and becoming the flagship APS-C camera. We’ve heard similar things and think it’s entirely plausible.
Adobe Photoshop CS6 Review
We have posted Ben Long’s review of the Adobe’s latest version of Photoshop, Read it here.
The speculated “entry level” full frame Nikon D600 looks to be quite real. Check the photo evidence here.
Planet5D has a different press release for the Nikon D4 that goes into details that aren’t covered by the press release below.
Read at Planet5D
*UPDATE* Nikon D4 Official
When There Is No Second Chance: The New Nikon FX-Format D4 Multi-Media Digital SLR is The Definitive Unification Of Speed And Precision
The New 16.2 Megapixel Nikon D4 Wields a Formidable Fusion of Swift Performance, Battle-Tested Technologies and Innovative New Features to Create High Caliber Photo and HD Multimedia Content
Anything before CES?
There could be a few products announced before CES.
I’m told there will be a PowerShot announcement, however nothing specific has been mentioned.
We’ve been told the 24-70 II and 35 f/1.4 II will finally be announced. The 24-70 II announcement has existed pretty much as long as this site has. I really want it announced so I can stop reading emails about it. I offer no opinion on the likelihood of such an announcement.
Possible evidence of a EF 24-70 f/2.8L II can be seen here, here & here.
The EF 200-400 f/4L IS 1.4x could also be officially announced. However, that may not happen until the new 500 & 600 start to ship.
The only camera that is possible would be a Rebel, though I’ve received zero information one being announced in early January.
Nikon is rumoured to be announcing the D4 & new 85 f/1.8 on January 6, 2012.
Will Canon let Nikon have all the thunder at CES/PMA?
Yes, this is Canon Rumors, but a new D4 probably matters to a lot people that require cameras like the D4 and 1D X.
The 1D X to have competition soon?
Nikon Rumors has posted specs of an upcoming D4. They claim it’ll be announced before CES/PMA in January. The 1D X is no longer alone.
Don’t expect a quick to market product, I’m not sure you can even buy XQD cards yet!
- 16.2 MP
- 11 fps
- 100-102,400 native ISO range, expandable to 50 and 204,800
- CF + XQD memory card slots! That’s right, the Nikon D4 will have the new Compact Flash XQD memory card slot.
- Compatible with the new Nikon WT-5 wireless transmitter
- Integrated Ethernet in the camera
- Face detection/recognition function that will be working in the viewfinder (maybe some type of a hybrid viewfinder? Nikon had several related patents)
- Improved video, I have no other details on that but my guess is 1080p/30/25/24 and 720p/60/30/25/24 similar to the Nikon D800
- Uncompressed video out through the HDMI port
- Ability to assign the two buttons on the front of the camera to smooth aperture control during video recording
- Improved 51 AF points
- AF detection range will go down to EV-2.0 (the D3s went to EV -1)
- Autofocus system: 9 cross-type sensors that are operational up to f/8
Source: Nikon Rumors
I realize this is Canon Rumors, however a massive megapixel Nikon DSLR is relevant. We didn’t get such a feature from the 1D X, maybe this is what’s coming with the next 5D.
We & NR reported ages ago that Nikon was going to release a giant megapixel camera. The announcement date seems to have moved around a lot.
Nikon Rumors has a purported image of the the camera, and a spec list.
Specs from NR
- Smaller and lighter than D700
- Resolution: 7360×4912 (36MP)
- CF+SD memory card slots
- Slightly larger display
- Excellent video quality, better than D3s
- Video modes: 1080p/30/25/24 and 720p/60/30/25/24
- AF identical to D3/D700
Visit Nikon Rumors