July 29, 2014, 09:21:38 PM

Author Topic: Canon Can't Even Make a Billion Dollars Anymore  (Read 23128 times)

Greg_M

Re: Canon Can't Even Make a Billion Dollars Anymore
« Reply #105 on: November 01, 2012, 11:10:09 AM »
If I were on Mars and Canon was selling oxygen they might have me, but the reality is that people like me (that are on fixed incomes and/or not professionals) will simply not buy their product and their income will go down instead of up.

This is such a simple concept....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: November 01, 2012, 11:10:09 AM »

Gothmoth

« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2012, 11:24:17 AM »
canon sales are still strong.. no suprise given the large EXISTING userbase.

but... new DSLR users buy more nikon gear than any time before.

i can only speak from my experience .. sure.

but nikon sells very strong this year for people who are buying new into a DSLR system.

no wonder if you ask me.... though economy... and nikon offers a camera with great public reception for 500-600 euro less (D800 vs. 5D MK3).

the D600 also sells very well.

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #107 on: November 01, 2012, 12:48:58 PM »
Companies get in trouble when they fail to adapt to changing market conditions (Kodak). Those that anticipate and adjust succeed (Fuji).

Seriously, Canon is a cash flush company that just made a bit short of Billion dollars in one quarter. Now they are in trouble?

What is it about the Internet that makes people incapable of reading an entire post and instead simply pull a small quote out of context so they can write silly drive-by comments.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

jrista

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2012, 05:27:14 PM »

but nikon sells very strong this year for people who are buying new into a DSLR system.

no wonder if you ask me.... though economy... and nikon offers a camera with great public reception for 500-600 euro less (D800 vs. 5D MK3).

You have any external resources that actually back up that claim? Or is it just another anecdote intended to skew peoples thinking?

I didn't even know that companies reported that kind of information, or better yet, were even capable of GATHERING it in the first place! How the hell does anyone who might be capable of generating that kind of specific information know if someone buying a Nikon camera is a "new" photographer or not? What about all the people who just buy a camera, and don't tell their reseller ANYTHING about themselves other than that they want a particular camera? Sorry, but I call bullshit. No one could even get enough information about enough buyers to derive specific enough statistics that could actually be used to determine that Nikon, Canon, or any other manufacturer is selling more cameras to "new photographers."

I believe Nikon has gained "switchers", who have dumped Canon in favor of a brand that offers them more dynamic range. I believe that because there are literally people who HAVE switched who've talked about it, blogged about it, and created videos about it. Wherever there is a vocal sample, there is a larger base from which that vocal sample comes from. There is information to back up the claim that Canon has lost some customers to Nikon due to existing Canon customers switching brands (or adding Nikon to their kit rather than getting a new Canon camera.) There is no information about how many such individuals there might be in total, though, and on the flip side there have definitely been people who've jumped off the Nikon ship to get a 5D III or a 1D X as well...so the net change could even be neutral.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: Canon 5D III/7D II | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

Simba

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2012, 06:53:36 PM »

You have any external resources that actually back up that claim? Or is it just another anecdote intended to skew peoples thinking?

I didn't even know that companies reported that kind of information, or better yet, were even capable of GATHERING it in the first place! How the hell does anyone who might be capable of generating that kind of specific information know if someone buying a Nikon camera is a "new" photographer or not? What about all the people who just buy a camera, and don't tell their reseller ANYTHING about themselves other than that they want a particular camera? Sorry, but I call bullshit. No one could even get enough information about enough buyers to derive specific enough statistics that could actually be used to determine that Nikon, Canon, or any other manufacturer is selling more cameras to "new photographers."

I believe Nikon has gained "switchers", who have dumped Canon in favor of a brand that offers them more dynamic range. I believe that because there are literally people who HAVE switched who've talked about it, blogged about it, and created videos about it. Wherever there is a vocal sample, there is a larger base from which that vocal sample comes from. There is information to back up the claim that Canon has lost some customers to Nikon due to existing Canon customers switching brands (or adding Nikon to their kit rather than getting a new Canon camera.) There is no information about how many such individuals there might be in total, though, and on the flip side there have definitely been people who've jumped off the Nikon ship to get a 5D III or a 1D X as well...so the net change could even be neutral.

Nikon Rumon just released the Nikon financial results, which are quite good in the DSLR market.
http://nikonrumors.com/2012/11/01/nikons-financial-results-for-the-first-half-of-the-year-are-out.aspx/

AG

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 01, 2012, 07:09:11 PM »
Going on Nikons figures they are not really in a great place either.

381Billion Yen = $4.75 Billion USD Net sales (Up $705 Million USD from last year)
41.8 Billion Yen = $521,629,530.72 USD Operating income (Down $69.8 Million USD from last year)

So does this mean that if Nikon only made $521.6 Million(USD) they too couldn't make a Billion Dollars either?

Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

hsmoscout

« Reply #111 on: November 01, 2012, 07:33:50 PM »
This sucks. I was gonna get the 7D soon, but it looks like I'll have to wait :/
Is Canon trying to get more people to buy direct from Canon?? It seems like it with their whole "Holiday hushup" thing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: November 01, 2012, 07:33:50 PM »

Simba

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 02, 2012, 01:38:43 AM »
Going on Nikons figures they are not really in a great place either.

381Billion Yen = $4.75 Billion USD Net sales (Up $705 Million USD from last year)
41.8 Billion Yen = $521,629,530.72 USD Operating income (Down $69.8 Million USD from last year)

So does this mean that if Nikon only made $521.6 Million(USD) they too couldn't make a Billion Dollars either?

Canon is a much bigger and diversified company, which not only sells cameras, but printers, scanners, camcorders, copy & fax machines, etc.  If you just consider DSLR cameras that most of us in this forum are interested, the sales of Canon is dropping, while Nikon is rising.  Nikon is quite profitable considering its small product lines.

emag

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 02, 2012, 09:40:11 AM »
Doesn't affect this amateur a whit; as for pros, I'll defer opinions on that to you pros.  If I can afford it and the Director of Acquisitions (my wife) is okay with it, I'll buy it.  I'll shop around and then find a way to pay over time for no interest if it's a big slug of bucks.  Dealers will find a way to add value to the deal to make for an attractive package at Canon's MAP.   I don't mind using 'last year's technology' if it works for me.  In a year the 5dIII won't suddenly stop taking nice photos, anymore than my 40D did after getting a 60D.   Improved lenses are a different animal, the best is really worth ponying up for.  I can see that MAP may help smaller and more local retailers who find it difficult to compete with the big boys.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #113 on: November 02, 2012, 09:40:11 AM »