October 22, 2014, 10:24:09 AM

Author Topic: $2,800.00 budget  (Read 7133 times)

archiea

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: $2,800.00 budget
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2013, 04:25:16 PM »
Hello CR friends.
 Have you ever got the fever to buy a new car?   Well I have the fever to buy a full frame camera.  I'm not a professional, just a hobbyist.  I currently own a T3i, with a kit lens, a Canon 50mm F1.4, Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II.  I also have a Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 that I'm selling.  For the last 2 months I've read so many reviews, watched every video on YouTube, as well as many on vimeo. 

If you had 2,800.00 to spend, what you do?
Canon 6d with kit lens or 5d MK III body only

I feel the 5d MK III would hold it value longer that the 6d.

That is a dilema....

It depends on your situation.. lets break it down:

Do you want to be an advanced amateur or a pro that needs perfomance where missing pictures = missing $$$?

As a photographer, the 6D will give you the same quality of image as the 5D mark iii. thats a great value there.  Price delineating features like IQ are now as non issue between a 6D vs a 5D.   Thats a big deal.  A game changer.  So then it comes to what kind of performance you need now and anticipate needing in the future:

6D:
1) compact solution for a Wifi & GPS enabled FF camera... no expensive and clunky add ons, failed attempts of making up to three components from different manufacturers handshake properly (wifi device, camera, computer/tablet). You get a functioning, existing wifi (and GPS) solution TODAY at no added cost). This is great if you want to remotely trigger your camera or upload to a web site as you shoot. Great feature for Blogging, event photography where you can sell photographs online at the event at the same time.
2) lighter body, but less weather sealed, less shutter lifetime, plastic body. Not really an issue unless you are shooting a lot at a high frame rate and tossing your camera in car trunks and cam bags.. I literally mean tossing....
3) Effective AF but not an action/sports AF system.  The center AF point has become legendary in its low light sensitivity.  So like I said, you can take photos as good as a 5D, but...

5D:
1) AF system is the best yet from canon, second only to the 1DX (which used its 100K pixel exp system to help in tracking with the AF). Designed for tracking, action, sports, etc.. its not for the casual... not that its hard, you just have to take the time to learn it.  The 6D you can pick up, point and focus.  You can do the same with the 5D but you are missing out on A LOT of functionality thats a game changer in the canon line..  Again, you will have this camera for years so you may not hop on all the features immediately and can grow into them.
2) Durability, weather sealed... not as much as a 1DX, which is a misconception.. a 1DX (with a weather-sealed L lens with  filter attached to the front) can hang in the rain all day.  One canon rep put it best... if you out in a light shower with a 5D, and you are getting soaked, so is your 5D!!! 
3)Forthcoming firmware update that will allow clean HDMI out from the 5D.  Coupled with an Atomos ninja 2 field recorder, you will be getting an amazing movie platform: on the fly 4:2:2 pro rez recording, ready for edit. 
4) additional pro features that you can grow into: HDR outputs RAW instead of JPG only, headphone jack, dual card slots (Note here, using an Eyefi SD card gives you some of the Wifi functionality fo the 6D, but not all, and not as reliable), more programable buttons on the body.
5) performance: Again, the AF, 6fps, weight better balanced with the heavier lenses (because the body is heavier!), and a pro aftermarket specifically suited to the 5D.  Yeah most will fit a 6D, but things like plates with locking pins, etc that are designed for the idiosycracies of the 5D will be more available.  Plus you will speak "5D" as far as knowing how to operate the camera it opens opportunities for jobs.

Get to know the ceilings that the 6D has compared to the 5D... if you feel that the 6D is "enough" camera for you, go for it!  Otherwise, if you see yourself growing into more advanced shooting, and perhaps even monetizing your photography, the 5D will pay off more.  Remember, should you decide to become a second shooter for events, having your own 5D will make you more desirable and afford you more opportunities as well as $$$ for your services.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2013, 04:25:16 PM »

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2013, 03:44:51 PM »
or go 7D L...LOL
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

MagnumJoe

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • 5D MK III
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2013, 09:30:43 PM »
Hello CR friends.
 Have you ever got the fever to buy a new car?   Well I have the fever to buy a full frame camera.  I'm not a professional, just a hobbyist.  I currently own a T3i, with a kit lens, a Canon 50mm F1.4, Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II.  I also have a Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 that I'm selling.  For the last 2 months I've read so many reviews, watched every video on YouTube, as well as many on vimeo. 

If you had 2,800.00 to spend, what you do?
Canon 6d with kit lens or 5d MK III body only

I feel the 5d MK III would hold it value longer that the 6d.

That is a dilema....

It depends on your situation.. lets break it down:

Do you want to be an advanced amateur or a pro that needs perfomance where missing pictures = missing $$$?

As a photographer, the 6D will give you the same quality of image as the 5D mark iii. thats a great value there.  Price delineating features like IQ are now as non issue between a 6D vs a 5D.   Thats a big deal.  A game changer.  So then it comes to what kind of performance you need now and anticipate needing in the future:

6D:
1) compact solution for a Wifi & GPS enabled FF camera... no expensive and clunky add ons, failed attempts of making up to three components from different manufacturers handshake properly (wifi device, camera, computer/tablet). You get a functioning, existing wifi (and GPS) solution TODAY at no added cost). This is great if you want to remotely trigger your camera or upload to a web site as you shoot. Great feature for Blogging, event photography where you can sell photographs online at the event at the same time.
2) lighter body, but less weather sealed, less shutter lifetime, plastic body. Not really an issue unless you are shooting a lot at a high frame rate and tossing your camera in car trunks and cam bags.. I literally mean tossing....
3) Effective AF but not an action/sports AF system.  The center AF point has become legendary in its low light sensitivity.  So like I said, you can take photos as good as a 5D, but...

5D:
1) AF system is the best yet from canon, second only to the 1DX (which used its 100K pixel exp system to help in tracking with the AF). Designed for tracking, action, sports, etc.. its not for the casual... not that its hard, you just have to take the time to learn it.  The 6D you can pick up, point and focus.  You can do the same with the 5D but you are missing out on A LOT of functionality thats a game changer in the canon line..  Again, you will have this camera for years so you may not hop on all the features immediately and can grow into them.
2) Durability, weather sealed... not as much as a 1DX, which is a misconception.. a 1DX (with a weather-sealed L lens with  filter attached to the front) can hang in the rain all day.  One canon rep put it best... if you out in a light shower with a 5D, and you are getting soaked, so is your 5D!!! 
3)Forthcoming firmware update that will allow clean HDMI out from the 5D.  Coupled with an Atomos ninja 2 field recorder, you will be getting an amazing movie platform: on the fly 4:2:2 pro rez recording, ready for edit. 
4) additional pro features that you can grow into: HDR outputs RAW instead of JPG only, headphone jack, dual card slots (Note here, using an Eyefi SD card gives you some of the Wifi functionality fo the 6D, but not all, and not as reliable), more programable buttons on the body.
5) performance: Again, the AF, 6fps, weight better balanced with the heavier lenses (because the body is heavier!), and a pro aftermarket specifically suited to the 5D.  Yeah most will fit a 6D, but things like plates with locking pins, etc that are designed for the idiosycracies of the 5D will be more available.  Plus you will speak "5D" as far as knowing how to operate the camera it opens opportunities for jobs.

Get to know the ceilings that the 6D has compared to the 5D... if you feel that the 6D is "enough" camera for you, go for it!  Otherwise, if you see yourself growing into more advanced shooting, and perhaps even monetizing your photography, the 5D will pay off more.  Remember, should you decide to become a second shooter for events, having your own 5D will make you more desirable and afford you more opportunities as well as $$$ for your services.

That's what I'm doing, maybe in a year I can upgrade to the 5Dmk iii
Cameras:  5D MK III, 6D,   Lenses: Canon EF 70-200mm MK II f/2.8| Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4, Tamron 24-70 VC

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2013, 10:49:22 PM »
I'll play this game, but I don't like having a 5d mkiii as an option because if you do get that... it's game over... so where's the fun?

First, I'd buy most canon refurbs or used from a reputable dealer...  I used to like new, but it got in the way of me not having enough money.

So actually if you are willing to considering the 6D... then you are willing to consider the specs of the 5dmkii... because outside of better low light performance, and the wifi and gps (which aren't available on the standard 5dmkiii), then the 5d mkii should work JUST FINE.  Price tag (before tax) $1400.  Sell the t3i for $450 and your final walk away price is $950.  Remaining funds, $1850.

You only have one zoom in your arsenal... but I'd suggest getting my favorite lens, the 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro.  It is so incredibly versitile.  Macro obviously, but it works well as a portrait lens (though 135 is preferred), and it is so very sharp.  According to dpreview, it is a good deal sharper than the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS mkii.  That's high praise.  I bought one for $800ish last year.  So that leaves you with $1000.

I know you have a f/2.8 zoom and I know they are great for indoors, but I'm going to push you a different direction.  Bouncing flash with a really good L lens can really make your subjects pop!  I'd go with a 24-105mm f/4L IS for $750 from Big Value on ebay.  They've had that price on a number of occasions, and it is a really good lens, but f/4... which as we all know isn't ideal for indoor lighting.  Though I will say, the 5dmkii is solid at higher iso's... so that issue can be reduced.  Remaining amount, $250.

And use that $250 to buy a 430exii... used of course.  Learn to bounce light or have a helper who will use a diffuser and point the flash at your subjects from the side and above.  And done.  I know people generally scoff at flash, but that's because of the mediocre results from the built in flash.  Head on isn't flattering, unless you are using it for fill in... but that should be in small amounts. 

So there you go... a new zoom, a new prime, a new flash, and a new full frame camera.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

danski0224

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2013, 06:48:48 AM »
To the OP:

Many seem to separate the 5D and 6D line on action photos.

I have found that it isn't just the AF performance, it is the number of focus points that are usable outside of center.

Nothing wrong with the 5DII, but using anything outside of center is hit or miss, moreso at wider apertures.

I do not have experience with the 6D, but it still has fewer points than the 5DIII. The 6D supposedly has a very good center point, but how good are the outer ones?

Focus + recompose does not work all of the time and I do not like being limited to the center point only. I also have a difficult time focusing manually through the viewfinder unless I have a lot of time, so working AF is important to me.

I have found that a 5DIII + 600EX-Rt works better than a 5DII + 580EXII or a 5DIII + 580EXII. Don't know what it is, whether it is something in the flash (electronics/power) or metering in camera or the 5DIII AF system providing better info.

In short, I have seen a significant improvement in my "one shot" pictures with the latest Canon tech. Someday, I'll figure out the rest of it.

You don't have to be a pro or shoot action to benefit from the 5DIII if your budget allows.

Video- haven't messed with it.

WiFi- haven't had the need to tether, but I can see how that feature could be useful.
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2013, 06:48:48 AM »