October 01, 2014, 04:21:52 AM

Author Topic: EOS M Announcement in the Summer? [CR2]  (Read 7823 times)

c.d.embrey

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: EOS M Announcement in the Summer? [CR2]
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 04:30:59 PM »
It was mentioned that Canon doesn’t have plans currently to launch more EOS M prime lenses, as they see the segment as “entry level”. I’m not sure I agree with that if true.

Nor I and if Canon have said that then it shows a rather remarkable disconnect with where digital photography is going.

Although I'm in no-big-hurry to ditch my Canon DSLRs, sometime this year I'll be stepping-up to mirrorless cameras. I'm testing several right now, but the lack-luster Canon M isn't one of them.

Come-on Canon, surprise me! Release a PRO APS-C Mirrorless camera and the needed prime lenses. 53mm (=85mmFF), 85mm (=135mmFF) and 125mm (=200mmFF) would be a good start).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 04:30:59 PM »

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 05:23:57 PM »
to be successful, need good (if not great AF) and an adaptor (already have this, but needs to continue to work) for EOS EF and EF-S lenses.

c.d.embrey

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 05:46:01 PM »
to be successful, need good (if not great AF) and an adaptor (already have this, but needs to continue to work) for EOS EF and EF-S lenses.

Why would I want to use BIG/HEAVY DSLR lenses on my mirrorless cameras?? When I dump my DSLRs the lenses will go as well. For me, NO adapter wanted or needed. YMMV ;)

c.d.embrey

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 06:14:34 PM »
It was mentioned that Canon doesn’t have plans currently to launch more EOS M prime lenses, as they see the segment as “entry level”. I’m not sure I agree with that if true.

Nor I and if Canon have said that then it shows a rather remarkable disconnect with where digital photography is going.

Yeah same here. More and more I see really good photographers drawn towards smaller powerful bodies. This confirms that Canon is completely lost. Maybe they see is as entry level because their current offering is half baked and not selling well.
So could you please elaborate on this subject instead of coming up with these blanket statements?
I don't know about Very Serious Photo Enthusiasts, but some Pro shooters are switching to mirrorless.

Hers's one http://www.damianmcgillicuddy.com/journal/2013/5/15/m43-strutting-its-stuff

And here's another "Good enough for Vogue Italia, good enough for me." http://jonathanposner.tumblr.com/post/40780795719/my-olympus-challenge-10

And a third https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3dSWa5rcVlw

ajt36

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 06:24:24 PM »
How about that much anticipated firmware update to the current EOS-M?

EXACTLY!  I mean honestly, Canon's handling of complaints about the M's AF has been disappointing.  I'll admit, I was an early adopter.  Yeah, the AF speed is not very good.  But I don't ask it to do what an SLR will do.  As long as I'm not in low light, it is usable, work fine for general photography, and let's face it, for its size, the M has really great IQ.  But that doesn't mean I don't want a firmware update to at least try to address the AF speed.  And it sure feels like M owners have been abandoned with the expectation that if we want even a modest improvement in the camera's performance, we are going to be buying the "M2".  No thanks... I like it for what it is and I'll keep it until it is basically worthless on resale (probably won't take long), but I'm feeling pretty much like an afterthought for Canon - no AF improvement, no fast prime lenses, more mediocre slow zooms I have no interest in.
I have Canon cameras.

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 08:17:59 PM »

Yeah same here. More and more I see really good photographers drawn towards smaller powerful bodies. This confirms that Canon is completely lost. Maybe they see is as entry level because their current offering is half baked and not selling well.
So could you please elaborate on this subject instead of coming up with these blanket statements?
I don't know about Very Serious Photo Enthusiasts, but some Pro shooters are switching to mirrorless.

Hers's one http://www.damianmcgillicuddy.com/journal/2013/5/15/m43-strutting-its-stuff

And here's another "Good enough for Vogue Italia, good enough for me." http://jonathanposner.tumblr.com/post/40780795719/my-olympus-challenge-10

Hi, thanks for the links, checked out Posner and McGillicuddy. It probably makes sense to some people shooting in certain situations. I guess where resolution, AF and probably other areas I can't think of now matters, people will need DSLRs even in the future. This Posner guy doesn't really come out as very confident explaining his choice. It seems to me he has to justify it to the reader. Does he believe in himself or is it a way of creating buzz around him?

Anyway, as said by me and many, competition is good. It'll be interesting to see where we are in five years.

ddashti

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 11:08:04 PM »
How far can Canon go with the EOS-M?
Let's see what more they can do.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 11:08:04 PM »

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2013, 07:46:04 AM »

Hi, thanks for the links, checked out Posner and McGillicuddy. It probably makes sense to some people shooting in certain situations. I guess where resolution, AF and probably other areas I can't think of now matters, people will need DSLRs even in the future. This Posner guy doesn't really come out as very confident explaining his choice. It seems to me he has to justify it to the reader. Does he believe in himself or is it a way of creating buzz around him?

Anyway, as said by me and many, competition is good. It'll be interesting to see where we are in five years.

Thom Hogan basically ditched his DX kit for an OMD kit... If Canon doesn't get the M up to speed soon, they will have very serious issues in the near future...
What is truth?

paul13walnut5

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2013, 09:56:09 AM »
Just can figure these AF comments out at all.

Folk making them either:

Mindlessly repeat what they've read without thinking

Haven't used the camera

or Haven't used the camera properly set up.

I was shooting at dusk last night with a ND64 and CPL on my 22mm and it was working fine.  Is slow with my Sigma 70mm, but then so are the rest of my cameras.

If you use the camera in moron mode with totally automatic AF select then you have no right to complain that it doesn't work as well as your DSLR in moron mode.

LOALTD

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2013, 05:46:12 PM »
I want nothing more than to buy an EOS-M camera but Canon won't let me!

MORE BODIES PLEASE.

Just give me an Olympus OM-D with a Canon mount and I'll be happy.  ;D

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2013, 06:34:49 PM »
Just can figure these AF comments out at all.

Folk making them either:

Mindlessly repeat what they've read without thinking

Haven't used the camera

or Haven't used the camera properly set up.

I was shooting at dusk last night with a ND64 and CPL on my 22mm and it was working fine.  Is slow with my Sigma 70mm, but then so are the rest of my cameras.

If you use the camera in moron mode with totally automatic AF select then you have no right to complain that it doesn't work as well as your DSLR in moron mode.

You're making me feel dumb. My camera is set to "M" most of the time...

paul13walnut5

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2013, 07:24:54 PM »
Red2

Switched to AF operation> One shot AF

Switched to AF Method > flexizoneAF []

Switched to Continuous AF > Disable

Switched to Focus Mode > AF+MF or > MF

I AM THE FIRST TO ADMIT that such intricacies of the menu are probably well beyond the target market, but I'll also defy anybody to use the camera with the above settings, using either screen touch on or screen touch off (or indeed via the trash button to centre the AF spot) to tell me the camera has unacceptably slow AF.

Canon got it wrong with the M.  They thought that casual users wouldn't care about AF speed, and thought that enthusiasts understood how AF worked.  They were wrong on both counts.

The AF speed is fine if you understand how AF works and have reasonable expectations.

I have a 7D, the M won't replace it.  If you have a 5D3 or 1DX, the M wont replace it.  We knew that. 

Maybe I am the wrong person to ask.  I'm a video guy.  Af is kind of heresy to me anyway. But I've used just about every EOS made (either in previous lives as a happy snapper, student, photographic retailer or as I do now, to earn a crust) and I like the M.

@Brad-man

M is for Masochist.  It's also the mode I use on any camera.

Green square is moron mode.  And the M is lousy in that mode. See above.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 07:41:58 PM by paul13walnut5 »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2013, 03:26:21 PM »

Why would I want to use BIG/HEAVY DSLR lenses on my mirrorless cameras?? When I dump my DSLRs the lenses will go as well. For me, NO adapter wanted or needed. YMMV ;)

+1...faster AF and more pancake lenses, not the bulky stuff.
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2013, 03:26:21 PM »

nubu

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2013, 05:42:51 AM »
By now I am really happy with my little eos-m, especially for the price!  Even on a astronomical telescope it works quite nice! Here a test on a 5" Apo-Refractor incl. the Canon EF2xIII reaching 1824mm.
5DII/III,7D,400D,m|EF14/2.8LII,EF24/1.4LII,EF35/1.4L,EF40/2.8,EF50/1.4,MPE65/2.8,EF85/1.2L,EF100/2.8LIS,EF135/2L,EF200/2.8L,EF300/2.8LIS,EF500/4LIS,Zeiss500/8,EF1.4xIII,EF2xIII,EF8-15/4L,EFS17-55/2.8IS,EFS18-55/3.5-IS,EF24-105/4,allEFM

fresh_melbourne

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography in Melbourne
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2013, 06:34:48 PM »
Looking forward to a new M :). Improvement needed. I love recommending these small mirrorless cameras to friends. And even for myself ... I would love to use a small walk around body (and get a cheap emergency back-up camera for weddings which is usable with all my Canon lenses).
My gear: 2x 5DIII, 7D, GoPro Black, Leica R4, 24L 1.4 II, 50L 1.2, 85L 1.2 II, 100L 2.8IS Macro, 24-105L 4.0 IS, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 3x 600EX-RT, Induro Tripods ...
Web: http://www.freshphotography.com.au - http://wedding.freshphotography.com.au   - http://www.fabulous-femme.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2013, 06:34:48 PM »