December 22, 2014, 12:13:09 PM

Author Topic: Tips for my very first shoot  (Read 2314 times)

Glennard

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Tips for my very first shoot
« on: June 01, 2013, 12:26:51 PM »
So I recently purchased the 6D (body only) and refurbished 85mm f/1.8 last week. And today is my sister-in law's sweet 16,  and my wife just informed me that i'm suppose to be taking her photos because they can't find a pro photographer that suits their budget. I literally don't have any other other accessories to go with but the body & lens mentioned above AND I definitely do not have any experience at all although I have been shooting Manual, raw files as well ever since I received the camera. Anyways, what's the usual settings for indoor, with bright lights., etc. Btw, this will occur in 5 hrs from now so Jesus help me now.

Appreciate all the kind feedbacks.

canon rumors FORUM

Tips for my very first shoot
« on: June 01, 2013, 12:26:51 PM »

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
Re: Tips for my very first shoot
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 01:05:55 PM »
I am not Jesus  :) but I will offer some advice.

If you shoot off hand, keep the shutter speed near 1/125 or faster, if possible (the rule if thumb is 1/85). Choose the lowest ISO which would allow to shoot without noticeable motion blur (check the screen). Keep the camera steady, stop breathing and shoot (then resume breathing). One hand holds the camera, the other supports the lens. Use the center AF on one of the eyes and recompose. Try apertures from wide open, to f/4. All this depends on the background.

If you have a monopod, use it.

Framing is critical. Try half body, shoulders and face, etc. Avoid harsh light but also avoid situations in which the face is too dark compared to the rest. Again, watch the background. Bright (but not too bright) and colorful background, well blurred, works best, IMO. The background is as important as the main subject but since your model would not change, the background is even more important.

Keep the white balance to auto and take a few shots of gray things under the same lighting. You can use them later for WB correction. Shoot RAW, of course.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 01:07:37 PM by Pi »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 02:25:29 PM »
I am not Jesus  :) but I will offer some advice.

If you shoot off hand, keep the shutter speed near 1/125 or faster, if possible (the rule if thumb is 1/85). Choose the lowest ISO which would allow to shoot without noticeable motion blur (check the screen). Keep the camera steady, stop breathing and shoot (then resume breathing). One hand holds the camera, the other supports the lens. Use the center AF on one of the eyes and recompose. Try apertures from wide open, to f/4. All this depends on the background.

If you have a monopod, use it.

Framing is critical. Try half body, shoulders and face, etc. Avoid harsh light but also avoid situations in which the face is too dark compared to the rest. Again, watch the background. Bright (but not too bright) and colorful background, well blurred, works best, IMO. The background is as important as the main subject but since your model would not change, the background is even more important.

Keep the white balance to auto and take a few shots of gray things under the same lighting. You can use them later for WB correction. Shoot RAW, of course.

Brilliant! I would say JPEG though.

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 02:31:47 PM »
Another thing - do not leave too much empty space above the head. This is a common mistake when using the center AF point - I know because I have done it. Read this, for example:

http://www.gieson.com/school/photos/

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 02:57:40 PM »
Another thing - do not leave too much empty space above the head. This is a common mistake when using the center AF point - I know because I have done it. Read this, for example:

Another super, practical tip!

mwh1964

• EOS M2
  • 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 05:31:28 PM »
And if in doubt leave everything in auto, and you will get away with something useful.
5D3 | 16-35L IS | 24-70L II | 24-105L | 70-200L II | 70-300L | 15 fisheye | 35 IS | 40 STM | 50 f1.4 | 100L | B&W Kaesemann | 2 x 600 EX-RT | ST-E3-RT | MR14-EX | EOS M + 22 STM + 90 EX | Manfrotto | Billingham | Lowepro | Think Tank

bereninga

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 03:23:49 PM »

lol @ Don't be a "grid nazi." hahahah Great tips!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 03:23:49 PM »