November 28, 2014, 11:28:56 AM

Author Topic: Triggering E640 via PC terminal + 600EX-RT via ST-E3-RT  (Read 2685 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Triggering E640 via PC terminal + 600EX-RT via ST-E3-RT
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 04:43:51 PM »
[1) You list several options, but missing is 'PocketWizard and Canon' - triggering the Einstein(s) with MC2's from a FlexTT5 connected to the camera's PC port.  That's one I could do with only the purchase of a cable, do you not list it because it isn't possible (i.e., a PC/miniphone input to the FlexTT5 won't cause it to fire as a 'dumb' transmitter?

2) What is this 'Canon lights are set ot optical slave mode' to which you refer?  I don't believe Canon Speedlites can be set as optical slaves (without additional hardware for optical triggering, such as the Sonia trigger).  Can you explain?

Thanks!
1) I think you are describing an all-PocketWizard system, identical to my first option but for one difference:  in mine, the FLexTT5 is connected to the camera via the hot show, and in yours, it is connected via a PC cord.  I think this will work fine.

2) I think I misspoke, as you suggest.  Canon speedlites do have an "optical slave" mode, but it is not as I described.  It is more accurately called "wireless optical slave" mode, as described by Syl Arena at http://pixsylated.com/blog/canon-speedlite-slave-set-up-600ex-rt-radio-slave/.

1) I am talking about having the ST-E3-RT in the camera's hot shoe, controlling the off-camera 600EX-RT flashes, and at the same time the FlexTT5 via the PC port on the same camera controlling the Einstein/MC2.  So, exactly like your CyberCommander + Canon scenario, except replace CyberCommander triggering for the Einstein(s) with PocketWizard triggering for the Einstein(s).  Any idea if that would work?

2) Correct - Canon flashes cannot be triggered as 'dumb' optical slaves.  The 'wireless optical slave' mode Syl describes is the typical pre -RT optical wireless, where a series of coded preflashes from an on-camera master (580EX, ST-E2, 90EX, etc.) triggers the slave flashes.  The only way to have a flash from a 3rd party strobe, e.g. a monolight, trigger a Canon flash is with hardware like the Sonia optical trigger.

Thanks again!
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 04:43:51 PM »

InterMurph

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 05:04:18 PM »
1) I am talking about having the ST-E3-RT in the camera's hot shoe, controlling the off-camera 600EX-RT flashes, and at the same time the FlexTT5 via the PC port on the same camera controlling the Einstein/MC2.  So, exactly like your CyberCommander + Canon scenario, except replace CyberCommander triggering for the Einstein(s) with PocketWizard triggering for the Einstein(s).  Any idea if that would work?
I just tried it, and I couldn't get it to work.

I put the ST-E3-RT in the hot shoe, and connected the FlexTT5/AC3 combo via the cable I got with my Einsteins.  The "Test" button on the FlexTT5 fires the Einstein, but the Einstein doesn't fire when I take a photo.  I tried connecting the cable to the P1 and then the P2 ports on the FlexTT5, but it doesn't work.

The FlexTT5 quick user's guide doesn't even mention the P2 port, the online Wiki manual is useless for searching for such things, and I've been waiting quite a while for the "generate a PDF" link to produce something.

I'll investigate more later this evening.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 07:08:36 PM »
I just tried it, and I couldn't get it to work.

I put the ST-E3-RT in the hot shoe, and connected the FlexTT5/AC3 combo via the cable I got with my Einsteins.  The "Test" button on the FlexTT5 fires the Einstein, but the Einstein doesn't fire when I take a photo.  I tried connecting the cable to the P1 and then the P2 ports on the FlexTT5, but it doesn't work.

The FlexTT5 quick user's guide doesn't even mention the P2 port, the online Wiki manual is useless for searching for such things, and I've been waiting quite a while for the "generate a PDF" link to produce something.

I'll investigate more later this evening.

Thanks much for testing! 

IIRC, for P1 and P2 ports on the FlexTT5, one is to trigger a flash and the other is to trigger a camera (different voltages, maybe?).  I was hoping one would also work as an input, guess not. 

I suppose one other option (short of buying a 3rd FlexTT5 for my 3rd 600EX-RT) would be a PC to hotshoe cable (like this one), and connect the MiniTT1 to that via its bottom hotshoe. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

InterMurph

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 08:09:55 PM »
It looks like the FlexTT5 just isn't designed to do that.  Sorry!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 08:09:55 PM »