December 18, 2014, 09:38:58 AM

Author Topic: 6D- An amateur's review  (Read 19707 times)

pato

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: 6D- An amateur's review
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 10:47:29 AM »
More and more I want to upgrade my 550D to a 6D :)
I just discovered that the price took another jump down, to now Fr. 1995.- here in Switzerland (with the Canon 24-105mm F/4L) which is a low 2211 USD :)
I believe this will be my Christmas present. Now I just need somebody who buys my 550D first....
Looking forward for more experience posts!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 10:47:29 AM »

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 02:28:50 PM »
More and more I want to upgrade my 550D to a 6D :)
I just discovered that the price took another jump down, to now Fr. 1995.- here in Switzerland (with the Canon 24-105mm F/4L) which is a low 2211 USD :)
I believe this will be my Christmas present. Now I just need somebody who buys my 550D first....
Looking forward for more experience posts!

I hope you are able to get one and sell the 550D.  Do you have something like craigslist over there, or will you use ebay or amazon?

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013, 03:55:02 PM »
I hope you are able to get one and sell the 550D.

Personally, I chose to keep my old 60d with 150k+ shutter cycles when I purchased the 6d because it's not entirely an upgrade - the 6d lacks the swivel screen which is great for tripod, and the crop factor is very handy for tele (narrower fov) and macro (less dof). Last not least, not changing lenses but having two bodies is useful sometimes and you always have a failsafe if your 6d should ever break.

If your 550d isn't in pristine condition anymore you might also think about keeping it because the resale value probably probably isn't too great nowadays, the 18mp sensor is aged and newer models have many more features.

caerolle

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 04:32:37 PM »

I like how aperture has a dedicated button. I would expect ISO to have one too. It requires you to press the middle button among five buttons (there is a little bump on it so you will be able to know without looking) without spinning the dial, so it's slightly troublesome. I will prefer something like Nikon's mechanism, with two dials.

You can set up the 6D so that you can press the 'Set' button and use the top control dial to change ISO in shooting mode. This has a second advantage of automatically activating the viewfinder head's-down display, which pressing the ISO button does not; if you are trying to do it with the camera to your eye and want to see the changes in the viewfinder, you have to half-press the shutter release.

The quickest way to set this up is probably to open the Q menu, then select the 'Custom Controls' icon (the little camera with the lines to the right). Press 'Set' to open the menu, then scroll over to the Set button icon at the top right. Press Set to open the menu for the Set button, then scroll to the ISO selection. Press Set one last time, then close the menus (press the shutter release halfway is fastest way). Now you can press the Set button when you are shooting, and use the top dial to adjust ISO! The only problem I have with this is my hands are small, so it is a stretch for me.

Something else I use is to set the ISO steps to 1-stop rather than 1/3-stop, which makes it quicker to make changes in the ISO.

Now if they would just allow you to set white balance to some button!

Hope this helps!

Carol  :)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 04:35:28 PM by caerolle »

randerson5726

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2013, 06:01:58 PM »
I did a similar upgrade, 60D to 6D. I agree with everything. Most importantly the reduciton in noise, and increase in image quality. I miss the pop up flash not for flash purposes but triggering external remote speedlites. With wifi in this camera I wouldn't be surprised if we see a remote triggering of speedlites through wifi soon. I wonder if this protocol would be fast enough. As for now, I'm looking into extension cords.

sunnyVan

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2013, 07:15:46 PM »
I did a similar upgrade, 60D to 6D. I agree with everything. Most importantly the reduciton in noise, and increase in image quality. I miss the pop up flash not for flash purposes but triggering external remote speedlites. With wifi in this camera I wouldn't be surprised if we see a remote triggering of speedlites through wifi soon. I wonder if this protocol would be fast enough. As for now, I'm looking into extension cords.

I'd recommend this wireless trigger over a cord.

http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-Wireless-Receiver-Transmitter-Transceiver/dp/B0090BSSZO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386202427&sr=8-2&keywords=yongnuo+trigger+canon
6D, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 F4L IS, 100 2.8L, 70-200L F4 IS, 135L, 35F2 IS, 600Ex-RT, Rokinon 14mm, EOS M, Sony A7+Zeiss 55 1.8

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2013, 07:50:34 PM »

Personally, I chose to keep my old 60d with 150k+ shutter cycles when I purchased the 6d because it's not entirely an upgrade - the 6d lacks the swivel screen which is great for tripod, and the crop factor is very handy for tele (narrower fov) and macro (less dof). Last not least, not changing lenses but having two bodies is useful sometimes and you always have a failsafe if your 6d should ever break.

If your 550d isn't in pristine condition anymore you might also think about keeping it because the resale value probably probably isn't too great nowadays, the 18mp sensor is aged and newer models have many more features.

I agree it's nice to have two bodies, but if you really don't need the backup body, or a swivel screen, and can use the money to help fund the purchase, it does make sense to sell.  I sold my 50D for a fantastic price right after I bought the 6D.  And unlike your precious 60D, the 50D had AFMA...so there!  :P

I'm actually considering buying a Rebel T5i (I forget what it's designation is over there, maybe a "60million D"?  Joking!)  The reason I'm considering it, is because although it lacks AFMA, it's probably good otherwise, has that magical swivel screen, and refurb units have recently been on sale for $419, body only.  I sold my 50D for 50% more than that!  If I can't get one for close to that price, then I'll just wait till I can, even if it's a year from now.

Since nobody answered my other thread, what's your favorite pocket size camera, Marsu?  Or maybe you're not opinionated enough to say?  I might have to coax it out of you!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2013, 07:50:34 PM »

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2013, 07:52:20 PM »

I like how aperture has a dedicated button. I would expect ISO to have one too. It requires you to press the middle button among five buttons (there is a little bump on it so you will be able to know without looking) without spinning the dial, so it's slightly troublesome. I will prefer something like Nikon's mechanism, with two dials.

You can set up the 6D so that you can press the 'Set' button and use the top control dial to change ISO in shooting mode. This has a second advantage of automatically activating the viewfinder head's-down display, which pressing the ISO button does not; if you are trying to do it with the camera to your eye and want to see the changes in the viewfinder, you have to half-press the shutter release.

The quickest way to set this up is probably to open the Q menu, then select the 'Custom Controls' icon (the little camera with the lines to the right). Press 'Set' to open the menu, then scroll over to the Set button icon at the top right. Press Set to open the menu for the Set button, then scroll to the ISO selection. Press Set one last time, then close the menus (press the shutter release halfway is fastest way). Now you can press the Set button when you are shooting, and use the top dial to adjust ISO! The only problem I have with this is my hands are small, so it is a stretch for me.

Something else I use is to set the ISO steps to 1-stop rather than 1/3-stop, which makes it quicker to make changes in the ISO.

Now if they would just allow you to set white balance to some button!

Hope this helps!

Carol  :)

Very interesting technique, I might try it.  I mostly just set the ISO to auto, because there isn't a noise penalty.

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2013, 02:40:34 AM »
I sold my 50D for a fantastic price right after I bought the 6D.  And unlike your precious 60D, the 50D had AFMA...so there!  :P

You were lucky then, my 60D is really worn down from outdoor use and has a lot of shutter cycles... as for afma, with crop it strictly speaking isn't necessary if you buy your lenses accordingly and return them if they would need heavy afma, it's only with ff that I need it at all with the 100L @f2.8.

Since nobody answered my other thread, what's your favorite pocket size camera, Marsu?  Or maybe you're not opinionated enough to say?  I might have to coax it out of you!

None, the 60d/6d are small enough for me because I always carry a backpack around or have a bicycle with me, really no need for anything smaller - I really rely on the usability of a real dslr with two dials, no p&s for me thank you very much.

pato

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2013, 02:44:53 AM »

It's in a good condition, but some 3 years old now. I have some 13k shutter cycles. I'm trying to sell it with my Sigma 18-125 F/3.8-5.6 lens, a battery grip (from Phottix) and a second (3rd. party) battery.
But so far nobody showed any interest (trying some 900 USD for the kit, which is around the auction price of the body and 90% of the new price of the lens). Maybe I need to lower the price a little more, or sell it piece by piece.

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2013, 02:48:24 AM »
Maybe I need to lower the price a little more, or sell it piece by piece.

Of course the resale value is the catch with 3rd party lenses like Sigma, and in all honesty for most people the 70d is a much better camera for newbies because of the dual pixel af and for anyone else because of the far superior af system... I know what I use my 60d for (Magic Lantern, it's n/a on the 70d), but for everyone else it's plain outdated and has the same sensor as every Rebel or cheap EOS M. But good luck finding a buyer for a decent price anyway, 13k shutter is really low!

Roo

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2013, 04:35:45 AM »

Like you I chose to keep my 60d when I bought my 5D3 for the same reasons.  That swivel screen is just too handy in awkward shooting positions and having 2 bodies at sporting events.  However I had to go with the 5D3 because I prefer to shoot sports and the AF tracking and extra burst rate is important.

Thanks to the OP for the fair review.  Like you I noticed the increase in size stepping up to FF (especially the extra stretch to the DoF preview button) but it didn't bother me so much after the first few shots.
5Diii, 60D,GoPro Hero 4, Canon 24-105L, Canon 70-200 2.8L is II, Samyang 14 2.8, Tamron 17-50 2.8 vcd, Tamron 90 macro, Tamron 150-600

bod

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2013, 07:01:55 AM »
Thanks for your post which I agree with - I upgraded from a 500 after a year of deliberation and trawling through review sites and hiring various bodies to try out.

1)Ergonomics - yes whilst heavier than the 500,  I liked the feel of the 6D in my hands the first time I tried it. I find it a great body to hold for long periods of time

2)Layout - I find the layout fine. One aspect that for me is a huge step up is the easy access to C1 and C2 on the rotary dial. I have both set for common setups a use a lot and it is brilliant to be able to switch the camera instantly into a set of known settings rather than setting them up individually. Makes the difference between taking an unexpected shot and missing it.

3)Image quality - yes a big difference from the 500. Like you I was impressed by the improvement using exactly the same lens.

4) Flash - If having a built in impacted significantly on other aspects like size or weight then I would rather it was not built in. I tend to avoid flash anyway and with the better ISO performance it is not that often I miss it. Happy to have an external unit if I need it.

5)wifi and gps - yes I agree, not used much at all as yet by me. I will use wifi more when the EOS phone app abilities with bulb exposure mode improve

6) IS - The reason that I decided to move to FF. The improvement from my old cropped 500 body  is very significant and really useful for a lot of the photography that I do. This in itself is enough for me to justify getting the 6D

7) AF - Struggled before buying the 6D with all the review negative feedback about this. Yes I am sure I would like a better AF system but after shooting with the 6D for a year I cannot make a strong case that I really need it for most of the shooting I do and certainly I am not interested in paying the extra cost of the 5D to get it. The centre AF point works great and it is rare on the 6D that I use anything else.

8)Other? - Yes I  prefer the 6D viewfinder to the 500. As regards other features that the reviews have had an issue with such as dual card slots, these have not been a big issue for me.

Verdict - Canon seem to have got a lot of flack over the last year. However as far as I am concerned they nailed it with the 6D as regards being clear what their target market really needed from a lower cost FF body. I love my 6D and am delighted to have a FF body.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2013, 07:01:55 AM »

lux

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2013, 09:01:16 AM »
I moved from an xti to a 6D a year ago.  There is no comparison.  I can look at my photos on the computer and see the day that I switched without looking at any data...and so can everyone else.  I know everyone worries about AF but I just use the center point for action then crop.  For non-action I use the center point and recompose.  (which is how I used to take pictures with film anyway).  I would love the 5D3 but I couldn't afford it and I'd rather save up for a used 300 2.8 I (lens rentals had them for 3400...if I could just find someone near me to split it...). 
6d, 2ti,  50 1.4, 40 2.8, 24-70ii, 70-200 ii. 300 2.8, s80 1.4, rok 14 2.8, 50-250

roguewave

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2013, 11:10:37 AM »
It's clear that 6D would produce better IQ than crop sensor if high ISO or shallow DOF is required. I'm curious how much difference there is in other situations. Do you really get significantly better detail, colour, etc at "normal" ISO? I'd appreciate if anybody could post a comparison shots taken with 6D and a crop.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2013, 11:10:37 AM »