July 23, 2014, 05:12:48 PM

Author Topic: The Unthinkable: Swapped out 5D3 for 6D  (Read 33726 times)

scottkinfw

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
Re: The Unthinkable: Swapped out 5D3 for 6D
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2013, 07:28:11 AM »
?
sek
Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, 50D Lenses:  24-70 208 II, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2013, 07:28:11 AM »

DaveMiko

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2013, 07:40:58 AM »
So over the Thanksgiving weekend, I finally gathered the nerve to just let go of my 5D3 as I was offered a fair price for it. That, in conjunction with the deal for the 6D at $1400 pushed me into pulling the trigger on the swap out. Done and done.

Some things I'm struggling with, some not so much. Either way, I think the decision was the right one for me (for now).

Wondering if anyone else has given the same move some thought.

:o ??? You must have been through an episode of temporary insanity. ... Now that you've recovered your senses all you can do is cry out loud.  :'( :'(
1DX, 5D Mark III, 24-70 f2.8 II, 24-105 f4 IS, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 70-200 f4 IS, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 IS, 600 f4L IS II, 300 f2.8L IS II, 2x Mark III, 1.4x Mark III.

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2013, 12:00:33 PM »
So over the Thanksgiving weekend, I finally gathered the nerve to just let go of my 5D3 as I was offered a fair price for it. That, in conjunction with the deal for the 6D at $1400 pushed me into pulling the trigger on the swap out. Done and done.

Some things I'm struggling with, some not so much. Either way, I think the decision was the right one for me (for now).

:o ??? You must have been through an episode of temporary insanity. ... Now that you've recovered your senses all you can do is cry out loud.  :'( :'(

Haven't cried yet. lol. I think I'll survive 99% of most situations I'll run into in the next year with what I've got.

Deciding what I actually need has always been the hardest thing to bear in mind when buying or keeping gear for me. I think this was one of those moments where I knew I had to make the hard call which was to give up something I didn't actually need all that badly for something that works well enough. That, in exchange for some money back to prepare for something else that I place more value in (i.e. a new ff body with higher IQ ability).

For my purposes, there is nothing I can't accomplish with the 6D that I was doing with the 5D3. If the swap helps me create an opportunity down the line to get something bigger and better, then so be it. :)

DaveMiko

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2013, 12:18:12 PM »

Haven't cried yet. lol. I think I'll survive 99% of most situations I'll run into in the next year with what I've got.

Deciding what I actually need has always been the hardest thing to bear in mind when buying or keeping gear for me. I think this was one of those moments where I knew I had to make the hard call which was to give up something I didn't actually need all that badly for something that works well enough. That, in exchange for some money back to prepare for something else that I place more value in (i.e. a new ff body with higher IQ ability).

For my purposes, there is nothing I can't accomplish with the 6D that I was doing with the 5D3. If the swap helps me create an opportunity down the line to get something bigger and better, then so be it. :)

Well, unless you're shooting wildlife, sports and action, the 6D can serve you well. ... The 5D Mark III is excellent in what the 6D can't accomplish. ... Of course, the very best and the ultimate DSLR for "everything" (so far) is the mighty 1DX.
1DX, 5D Mark III, 24-70 f2.8 II, 24-105 f4 IS, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 70-200 f4 IS, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 IS, 600 f4L IS II, 300 f2.8L IS II, 2x Mark III, 1.4x Mark III.

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2013, 12:28:48 PM »

Well, unless you're shooting wildlife, sports and action, the 6D can serve you well. ... The 5D Mark III is excellent in what the 6D can't accomplish. ... Of course, the very best and the ultimate DSLR for "everything" (so far) is the mighty 1DX.

I could do without all the bells and whistles at this point. If Canon released another 6D type ff body but geared it towards absolute IQ, I would be all for it even at a tag above 3k. I don't need high fps, gps, wifi, 100 AF points :), etc. I just want a body that will help me get every last bit of IQ out of the existing glass I have. 6D AF + Top level IQ - everything else, if it allowed Canon to keep it at a mere mortal's price range would be ideal for me.

dickgrafixstop

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2013, 12:47:00 PM »
I'll be waiting for the next post where you have sold the 6D with your L glass and bought into the Fuji X system.
Unless you concentrate on long telephotos, you may find that the X-Pro (or the shortly expected x-pro II) will
fulfill all your needs and expectations at about 1/3 the weight.

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2013, 04:25:06 PM »
I'll be waiting for the next post where you have sold the 6D with your L glass and bought into the Fuji X system.
Unless you concentrate on long telephotos, you may find that the X-Pro (or the shortly expected x-pro II) will
fulfill all your needs and expectations at about 1/3 the weight.

I would love to go all in on a smaller mirrorless rig. However, my personal opinion of the available systems is that they are not enough to cover all of my needs (along with some other shortcomings).

Although I love my x100s, it merely meets a day to day need where the shortcomings are only forgiven due to the convenience factor. I am able to produce images which I'm very happy with out of it. But it in no way replaces all the tools I need (as you've pointed out with re to tele). I feel the same even with the interchangeable lens models right now since AF is still not quite as fast as I need for certain situations and the ecosystem is still underdeveloped (lenses and flashes).

Also, if I were to jump on an interchangeable lens Fuji body, I would hope that it is full frame. Considering there is still ambiguity as to whether the XF lenses would provide enough coverage (with the limited number of them), I am not convinced that it will be a developed system very quickly. That being said, I am rooting for them and hope that they continue to come out with innovative and awesome imaging tools.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2013, 04:25:06 PM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.500px.com/home
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2013, 05:29:18 PM »
I hope is a right decision JohnDizzo ;)

As much as I enjoy X100s, I'm still looking at A7 + Zeiss FE 35mm and/or 55mm as my general camera due to FF.

Will wait out little for Rumor FF X series in 2014 ::)

Me too. For now, it seems like the right call. It gives me as much as I need out of any available canon body at the moment. I can deal with the AF and some of the other quirks. With this swap + selling a few lenses recently, my fund is already nearing 3k. Will be ready when the time comes.

I would love to just have one of the Sony bodies right now. But it doesn't make sense for what I need. When I want small, I still think the Fuji is king. The Sony may give me more res, but that's where the advantage stops. More res and dr for me doesn't equate to getting better shots. The Fuji is smaller, ovf/evf, has leaf shutter, and built in nd. Those four things alone make it better for my needs already. The Sony may be smaller than a dslr. But with a fast lens on it (which I would want), it is no longer all that small. If I go big, I'm going with a dslr for faster AF, and compatibility with all my existing lighting equipment.

These days, my philosophy is either go small (truly), or go big and don't worry about size at all. That being said though, if for some miraculous reason I can get either one of the Sony's at a large discount, I would still consider it. Lol

I went to local Sony store today, test out the A7. For indoor shooting, I think the combo A7 + 28-70(kit lens) will out perform Fuji X100s in term of AF speed. I was testing at f5.6 from close-up to far way out. Will be interesting year for me ;)
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2013, 05:54:38 PM »
I hope is a right decision JohnDizzo ;)

As much as I enjoy X100s, I'm still looking at A7 + Zeiss FE 35mm and/or 55mm as my general camera due to FF.

Will wait out little for Rumor FF X series in 2014 ::)

Me too. For now, it seems like the right call. It gives me as much as I need out of any available canon body at the moment. I can deal with the AF and some of the other quirks. With this swap + selling a few lenses recently, my fund is already nearing 3k. Will be ready when the time comes.

I would love to just have one of the Sony bodies right now. But it doesn't make sense for what I need. When I want small, I still think the Fuji is king. The Sony may give me more res, but that's where the advantage stops. More res and dr for me doesn't equate to getting better shots. The Fuji is smaller, ovf/evf, has leaf shutter, and built in nd. Those four things alone make it better for my needs already. The Sony may be smaller than a dslr. But with a fast lens on it (which I would want), it is no longer all that small. If I go big, I'm going with a dslr for faster AF, and compatibility with all my existing lighting equipment.

These days, my philosophy is either go small (truly), or go big and don't worry about size at all. That being said though, if for some miraculous reason I can get either one of the Sony's at a large discount, I would still consider it. Lol

I went to local Sony store today, test out the A7. For indoor shooting, I think the combo A7 + 28-70(kit lens) will out perform Fuji X100s in term of AF speed. I was testing at f5.6 from close-up to far way out. Will be interesting year for me ;)

Nice. Wish I had a local store that carried anything worth mentioning for me to even do tests with. If that combo does in fact outperform the Fuji in AF speed, then it must be very close to DSLRs. Although, I've never been much for f/4 max lenses. lol. It would be a dream come true to be able to mount Canon glass with the adapter and have it focus that fast. a7r + fast primes + same AF speed as the native lenses = me so happy

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2013, 05:59:24 PM »
FWIW, did some low light shooting last night with the 6D. The outer points (the few that are there) are pretty crappy compared to the 5D3 in low light. The center point was definitely way more awesome. Actually hit a lot faster and more consistently in similar lighting at the center than the 5D3 when I had it. Surprising difference actually. Those outer points may prove to be a thorn in my side in some situations. More to come....

lucuias

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Ronnie Chan's Photography
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2013, 08:45:37 PM »
for hobbies whom don't required tracking the subject or intensively use alot of outer focus point.I do think 6D is more than enough.The Wifi & gps thing is an interesting featured for travel especially with light prime lens.

However,as for myself ,I am a wedding photographer where I extensively use the outer focus point tracking movements.Oftenly,I do think 5Dmark III auto focus point isn't wide spread enough which I do even focus with the most outer focus point and recompose to the position I desire.

Tracking using outer focus point

Using outer focus point and recompose

Canon1

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2013, 09:16:25 PM »

The 5D3 is a great camera but not worth (at least to me) the $3400 price tag. After reading people's thoughts and reviews I was expecting a powerhouse of a camera, and it really wasn't. I just couldn't justify spending the money on it to upgrade. The 7D is a VERY fast camera and very hard to beat in that department. I shot BIF (birds, raptors exactly, in flight) with the 5D3 and got 10 times more blurry bird shots than I did with my 7D! (Yes I KNOW how to set up my camera for birds in flight, I am NOT new to this! Please don't waste your time telling me how I didn't know what I was doing... I always select the center point on AF and use AI Servo...) I was also using my own EF 70-300L on the 5D3. That lens is lighting fast on AF, so I know the fault wasn't with the lens.

Not trying to start a fight here but.... you definitely didn't have the 5DIII AF set up correctly for the type of shooting you were doing (or something else was going on).  I have shot extensively with Rebels, 7D, 1DIV, 5DII and 5DIII for BIF... hands down the 5DIII is the best out of all of these regarding AF speed and accuracy.  The 7D does have a very good AF system but once you get the setup right on the 5DIII it is nothing short of amazing.

Regarding the OP.  Glad you sorted out your priorities.  It sounds like you are looking for some justification for your decision from the forum and there are definitely a lot of people who think along similar lines.  The 5DIII is a fully customizable workhorse and for many shooters it is certainly overkill.  The cameras you are using are great and will not hold you back from making great images.  Happy shooting.

babiesphotos

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2013, 09:39:47 PM »

I've done it in March.
Got about $1130 diff in letting go off almost new 5D MK III for new 6D, after selling 24-105 lens, and it was the right decision for me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2013, 09:39:47 PM »

Nishi Drew

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2013, 10:58:01 PM »
I'm still on a 5DII and need a reason to upgrade  8)

Ok seriously no, I do want a 5D3, I've missed many worthy shots with the AF, and I shoot too many indoor events/low light subjects and weddings to keep risking more with it. Cool thing is though, I bought my 5D used, and I've found the used value here hasn't dropped, and I will be able to sell it for next to no loss if I do it right~

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M2
  • 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2013, 11:28:26 PM »
I'm still on a 5DII and need a reason to upgrade  8)

Ok seriously no, I do want a 5D3, I've missed many worthy shots with the AF, and I shoot too many indoor events/low light subjects and weddings to keep risking more with it. Cool thing is though, I bought my 5D used, and I've found the used value here hasn't dropped, and I will be able to sell it for next to no loss if I do it right~

The 6D can out perform the 5D3 in low light.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2013, 11:28:26 PM »