November 28, 2014, 08:51:15 PM

Author Topic: 600EX-RT: Viability as a remote shutter release?  (Read 5602 times)

entlassen

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: 600EX-RT: Viability as a remote shutter release?
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2013, 11:16:06 PM »

Irrelevant drivel huh.  You mean like that post where somebody demanded proof that a spinning motor causes vibrations?

No, I meant the post when a certified engineer asked you where there was proof that an AF motor negatively impacts image quality.

I agree.  That post sounded pretty irrelevant to me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2013, 11:16:06 PM »

entlassen

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2013, 11:33:33 PM »
Sometimes the simple solution is the best one. 

C'mon neuro, you know that any solution where you're paying money to get sub-optimal functionality is not the best one.  Almost all dedicated remote shutters have 2-stage triggers and continuous burst capability, like a camera's actual shutter button.  The original post in this thread was asking if the 600EX-RT's shutter release button also had this functionality, and the answer was no, and that's fine because that's not the primary purpose of the 600EX-RT.  I just wanted to know if its button had that additional functionality as a bonus, so one could skip buying a dedicated remote altogether.  Obviously nobody in their right mind would pay $1000 for two speedlights just to have a remote trigger, and then go even further and gimp themselves by setting a self-timer just because the speedlight doesn't have half-press AF engage.

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2013, 12:08:39 AM »
You do hear it whirling away in your own camera, right?  It's a moving mechanical part.  It spins another mechanical part attached to it (the lens).

And yes, mirror slap can cause vibrations.

I don't hear it whirling away in my camera...but then, I don't use a Nikon dSLR.   :P

Lots of things cause vibrations, including the earth itself.  They only matter if the frequency and amplitude are such that IQ is affected. I doubt that's the case for vibrations caused by the AF motor in the lens.

It's well documented that the vibrations from mirror slap only affect IQ at certain shutter speeds.  The effective shutter speed for a strobe-lit shot is fast enough that mirror slap has no effect.

One-stage remote with the self timer set?
Now that is a stroke of genius amongst the irrelevant drivel. I can confirm it works too.

Sometimes the simple solution is the best one.  Not that I'm opposed to unnecessarily complex and/or expensive solutions...after all, I'm using $80 in RRS accessories (not counting the $250 L-bracket) to do a job that could be accomplished with a few cents worth of Velcro.  ;)

I can't forget your ST-E3-RT and 600-EX-RT to use as an optical trigger for the Einstein, that took the title of "unnecessarily complex and/or expensive solutions..."  :)

I'd still like to see these D800 threads that definitively illustrate AF induced vibrations causing observable IQ degradation. 
Never look down on anybody, unless you are helping them up.

entlassen

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2013, 01:57:05 AM »
I'm scouting around for newer products and might have found a decent compromise:
http://flashhavoc.com/yn-622n-tx-first-image-emerges/

It looks like Yongnuo is going to release a newer version of their old YN-622C sometime later this month or early next year.  The unit is called the YN-622C-TX and acts only as a transmitter which interacts with the existing YN-622C transceivers.  The link above does show "Remote Shutter Release" as one of its new features, which the old YN-622C doesn't have.

So it seems to me the setup would be:
YN-622C on camera hotshoe
Speedlight on YN-622C
YN-622C-TX acting as the transmitter remote
(Nothing connected to camera's 3-pin)

It seems this would resolve the following:
1) ETTL - Check
2) Camera hotshoe isn't taken up in such a way that you can't mount a flash - Check
3) No extra receiver needed for remote shutter - Check
4) No cord needed to connect receiver to camera pins - Check
5) Remote shutter release functionality - Check

This system still wouldn't leverage the RT radio functionality that's already built into one's 600EX-RT, but it seems like the cleanest one I've seen so far.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2013, 01:57:05 AM »