April 19, 2014, 01:17:24 AM

Author Topic: Get a new camera every 150,000 pictures?  (Read 6998 times)

zlatko

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
Re: Get a new camera every 150,000 pictures?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 05:05:23 PM »
I take about 78,000 pictures every year with my T3i. I read that entry-level DSLRs can take about 150,000 pictures. I have had mine for about two years. So, it may have taken over 150,000 pictures. Should I sell it and get a new one now?
No, when the shutter breaks, have Canon fix it.  Then your camera is good for many more photos. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 05:05:23 PM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 05:42:38 PM »
There is an almost unhealthy obsession with shutter acctuations numbers. The factory quoted life expectancy of shutters under-reports like crazy. Like many mechanical devices from cameras, cars, HDD's, dishwashers etc, major failure is more likely to happen in the first few days than at any other time. I'm a very heavy shooter and have been for decades. The only shutters I have ever replaced were on a 5D3 which failed on day-one and was instantly replaced by Canon and the other was on a film EOS1n. I was in a bumpy media bus changing film and my thumb punched a hole in the shutter as we hit a pothole.

I had an old 20D and a 5D classic which both got given to assistants with shutter counts in the mid hundreds of thousands. They're both still going. 1-Series bodies in the hands of news/sports shooters will routinely be trusted to deliver the goods when showing shutter counts in the high hundreds of thousands and beyond.

We tend to shift cameras when they're plainly obsolete, broken, badly dropped or showing irritating characteristics. A bit of common sense is a good thing, I'd never turn up to a high budget job or even a modest budget job with only one body.

To the OP, if you like your current cameras and it delivers the goods for you, stay with it and stop fussing about the shutter.

-pw

agierke

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2013, 06:17:18 PM »
shutter replacement is a relatively easy and inexpensive fix. got mine fixed for 200.00 after the shutter failed on my 5Dc at 180,000 actuations. came back good as new and is still going.
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, sigma 15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 85mm F1.8, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

Ellen Schmidtee

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2013, 06:18:08 PM »
Like many mechanical devices from cameras, cars, HDD's, dishwashers etc, major failure is more likely to happen in the first few days than at any other time.

Electronic devices have a fair share of infant death, and it's common enough in microprocessors for Intel to invest in tracking the problem and trying to avoid it.

Personally, I had an Intel Pentium fail during OS installation. Two shop owners told me they prefer to install windows for their customers just to make sure all the parts (installation media, CD drive, etc) work. The replacement worked for over five years.

Had to replace a brand name thumb drive the day I bought it. The replacement worked for close to a decade.

Which is why I recommend testing a new memory card before using it - low level format, a burst, a few seconds of video, and download the files. Better to spend a few minutes with each card, than losing a bunch of photos on that one in a million infant deaths.

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 10:10:29 PM »
I see a couple of people saying something to the effect of: "Note that very high shutter speeds age the shutter much faster,..."

I've never heard this and think it is a little funny.  You guys know the shutter blades move at the same speed for 4 second photos as they do for 1/4000 of a second right?  It is the gap, or time in between the blades moving that determines the shutter speed. 

Anyway to the original poster: good lord man, what dull reason to buy a new camera!  How about I want a new camera to do awesome things and take awesome pictures, I want to be inspired!  As others have said, you may get 100K more clicks or 10, thats life.  If you can afford it, get a 70D, move up in the world, and keep you trusty rebel as a back-up, an old and trusted friend, a camera to hand to you bored girlfriend on the trip to the grand Canyon...

pedro

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2013, 11:18:07 PM »
Well, I purchased my 5D3 in August 2012. As I mostly do nightscapes (never did timelapses) I get home from my regional trips with less than 50 frames. Maybe this behaviour goes back to the film days, you had one roll of 36 or 24 slides and that was it. So one didn't fire off too many frames at a time. After about 16 month the shutter count of my device is at 8817. Last frame taken last night. At this rate it is good for at least another 15 years ;-) But I guess once a 5DV rolls out, I might use it less, hoping for better high ISO IQ (25k and 51k) in the overnext product cycle...till then I'll do my workouts with the finest camera I've ever had. Only better high ISOs in an upcoming model can prevent me from using it on a regular base. As I rarely take more than 200 pics during extreme shooting (holidays can get as high as 500 frames), it will last for quite some time.
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

scottkinfw

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 01:11:25 AM »
If you are using this camera, you are happy with it, and it is meeting your needs, keep it until it no longer doesn't.  Then, either keep it as a backup, or give it away, or sell it with full disclosure.  If on the other hand, you are thinking, time to get a new camera, and sounds like it might be near the end of life, well, maybe you just have the bug to buy a new camera?

Whatever you do, I agree that ethics do matter.  It is a character thing.

Scott

I take about 78,000 pictures every year with my T3i. I read that entry-level DSLRs can take about 150,000 pictures. I have had mine for about two years. So, it may have taken over 150,000 pictures. Should I sell it and get a new one now?
sek
Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, 50D Lenses:  24-70 208 II, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 01:11:25 AM »

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 01:38:06 AM »
I've never heard this and think it is a little funny.  You guys know the shutter blades move at the same speed for 4 second photos as they do for 1/4000 of a second right?  It is the gap, or time in between the blades moving that determines the shutter speed.

It's Canon *Rumor* for a reason, right :-p ?

I've picked up the "high shutter speed" theory along the way, and as you note several people did so without anyone objecting yet. The theory as far as I remember is that the shutter blades stop more sudden at higher shutter speeds, meaning the exact difference of your statement that's it's the same speed in any case.

I know that the shutter mechanism works differently on different models, on Rebels the shutter movement is coupled to the mirror while on xxd+ it's independent. It would be nice to get more input about this, because I'm actually trying to avoid the highest shutter speeds for this reason.

Maven

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 01:39:55 AM »
You can get the shutter replaced. I heard it's not that expensive.
I look at service center price: shutter replacement 600D = 182$
I think they may "insist" on camera diagnostics (50$) and cleaning (25$).
It's half the price of a new body. And if some electronics goes off later, or broken usb ports, or LCD - it's cheaper to buy new body from the start.
IMO if selling price + repairs is more than new body, keeping it until it breaks completely is pointless, unless you want to keep money and wait for new model, but need a camera right now and will take that risk.
I've seen used 5D2 with 170K shutter (some pics in series of shots - just black), burned USB-port (only using card reader) and some other things. It was in working condition, but repairing cost was more than 1200$.

dolina

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2013, 02:39:21 AM »
I'd get a new camera everytime I "need" a new one. All four of my bodies are 4ish years old. If I start shooting as frequently as once a week I may upgrade all of em to the next bodies Canon will release.
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013, 04:15:10 AM »

In my opinion, you only sell your camera if fixing its shutter is worth more or near than selling it or if you upgrade substantially (like from APS-C to full frame or from a rebel type AF to a better AF due to a requirement).  As I quote a Filipino photographer, Anthony Barlan,

"It’s not about how expensive your gear is, either. Good photographers could still take breath-taking pictures even with just their cell phones. Photography is about your creative use of your imagination, your ability to see a picture in your mind’s eye even before you capture it in your camera; it’s about your willingness to capture interesting subjects thru skills that you need to continuously work on. So always remember to “invest in your skills; not your gear”.

Some of his work here for inspiration...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anthonybarlan

pedro

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2013, 06:03:56 AM »

In my opinion, you only sell your camera if fixing its shutter is worth more or near than selling it or if you upgrade substantially (like from APS-C to full frame or from a rebel type AF to a better AF due to a requirement).  As I quote a Filipino photographer, Anthony Barlan,

"It’s not about how expensive your gear is, either. Good photographers could still take breath-taking pictures even with just their cell phones. Photography is about your creative use of your imagination, your ability to see a picture in your mind’s eye even before you capture it in your camera; it’s about your willingness to capture interesting subjects thru skills that you need to continuously work on. So always remember to “invest in your skills; not your gear”.

Some of his work here for inspiration...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anthonybarlan

This is a great quote by a higly gifted pro. And I'd say he's dead on with it. I allowed myself to post this to my fb, mentioning canonrumor.com as source.
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

ajfotofilmagem

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2013, 06:17:19 AM »
The shutter mechanism can last much longer than the expected lifetime, but it is a lottery in which only a few are rewarded. At the time of the photographic film, the durability of a camera was measured in decades. Considering a wedding photographer who worked moderately with his camera, he could use 10 rolls of film per week, or 520 rolls per year (520 X 36 = 18720). Therefore, the 1-year period the camera could make 18720 shots, and at 10 years 187.200. However, at that time the flash sync speed was around 1/60, and rarely wore faster than 1/200, since the ISO was low. Remember that cameras had no weather sealing, and much dirt came from the back cover every time you changed the film.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 06:19:50 AM by ajfotofilmagem »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2013, 06:17:19 AM »

NostraHistoria

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2013, 07:28:21 PM »
I sold it and I got a new T3i. The difference in picture quality is dramatic. I am not sure if there was dust in the sensor or the camera was just worn out, but the old one was producing poor pictures. Great move on my part.

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2013, 08:35:04 PM »
I sold it and I got a new T3i. The difference in picture quality is dramatic. I am not sure if there was dust in the sensor or the camera was just worn out, but the old one was producing poor pictures. Great move on my part.

Let me get this straight - so you replaced your old but still functioning T3i with a new T3i because the old one had a high shutter count? And now you see a difference in image quality and blame it on dust?

Why didn't you just clean the sensor? And if you did decide to buy an new camera why did you get the exact same model? Why not a T4i?
5D II | 7D | EOS M + 22 f2 | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2013, 08:35:04 PM »