April 17, 2014, 12:52:54 AM

Author Topic: Get a new camera every 150,000 pictures?  (Read 6915 times)

IMG_0001

• Rebel T5i
  • Amateur photon abductor
    • View Profile
Re: Get a new camera every 150,000 pictures?
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2013, 08:52:48 PM »
A little late in the thread now that the OP bought a new camera but still...

I think that an often overlooked bit of information about warranties and reliability claims from manufacturers is that an overwhelming majority of the device population is required to exceed the claimed life expectancy in order to avoid costly replacement under warranty. It can therefore be expected that the claimed life expectancy would actually be that of the weakest fraction of the population that survived child death. In other words, don't worry too much if you are a hobbyist.

Regardsq
What a mess, my camera's sensor is full of massless particules that keep on trying to behave like waves!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2013, 08:52:48 PM »

NostraHistoria

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2013, 10:09:22 PM »
I sold it and I got a new T3i. The difference in picture quality is dramatic. I am not sure if there was dust in the sensor or the camera was just worn out, but the old one was producing poor pictures. Great move on my part.

Let me get this straight - so you replaced your old but still functioning T3i with a new T3i because the old one had a high shutter count? And now you see a difference in image quality and blame it on dust?

Why didn't you just clean the sensor? And if you did decide to buy an new camera why did you get the exact same model? Why not a T4i?

I did not look into the T4i, but the T5i does not make better pictures according to one site I read. I am waiting for the new 1DX to come out. If it will have over 20 MP, I will probably get it.

As for the sensor cleaning, I am not sure if that was the problem or what. However, I am still new to DSLRs. My first camera was an old Canon with maybe 3MP. In 2007, I got the Canon TX1. In 2010, I got the Canon SX210 IS. In 2012, I got the T3i. The flagship is next.

I will check out cleaning my sensor in the future. I simply never heard of anyone doing before.

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2013, 11:27:30 PM »
I sold it and I got a new T3i. The difference in picture quality is dramatic. I am not sure if there was dust in the sensor or the camera was just worn out, but the old one was producing poor pictures. Great move on my part.

Let me get this straight - so you replaced your old but still functioning T3i with a new T3i because the old one had a high shutter count? And now you see a difference in image quality and blame it on dust?

Why didn't you just clean the sensor? And if you did decide to buy an new camera why did you get the exact same model? Why not a T4i?

I did not look into the T4i, but the T5i does not make better pictures according to one site I read. I am waiting for the new 1DX to come out. If it will have over 20 MP, I will probably get it.

As for the sensor cleaning, I am not sure if that was the problem or what. However, I am still new to DSLRs. My first camera was an old Canon with maybe 3MP. In 2007, I got the Canon TX1. In 2010, I got the Canon SX210 IS. In 2012, I got the T3i. The flagship is next.

I will check out cleaning my sensor in the future. I simply never heard of anyone doing before.

It's very easy to do. Remove the lens and then switch on the camera. Go to menu settings under one of the yellow tabs is an option for sensor cleaning. There's an option to do it manually and it basically flips up the mirror so you can see the sensor. You can do an easy blow air into it method via compressed air or use a cleaning kit if it's really filthy. When done just switch the camera off and the mirror flips down.

It cost's like $10 - 20 to have it cleaned at a shop. They do the exact same thing.

There are Youtube videos for how to do it.

To check wether you need to clean it first just take a picture of a white sheet of paper (make sure the paper is spotless!) and set aperture to f/22. Try defocusing using MF. Then upload to your PC and check every part of the image for dark spots. Zoom in to get a better look. Dark spots = dust and grime.

It goes without saying but I will anyway - make sure the lenses are clean and you are not using a filter.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 11:29:59 PM by Zv »
5D II | 7D | EOS M + 22 f2 | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

thgmuffin

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2013, 02:29:09 AM »

I hope your rotating lens hood is serving you well :P

Also, I'm pretty sure you remember that your EF-S lenses won't work on the 1D series...

Especially if you're only taking pictures of books  :P

AcutancePhotography

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2013, 11:37:54 AM »
I take about 78,000 pictures every year with my T3i.

I just have to ask, what are you photographing that you are averaging over 200 pictures every day of the year?

Yikes!
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

NostraHistoria

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2013, 12:38:33 PM »

I just have to ask, what are you photographing that you are averaging over 200 pictures every day of the year?

Yikes!

Books six days a week. I think I have over 1.5TB of pics of books.

When I go out taking pictures, I take anywhere from 100 to 1000 pics in one day. It all adds up.

Selling the camera was the smartest move. Now, I have a new camera,  warranty, and superior pictures. Now, all Canon has to do is release a super upgraded 1DX so I can sell this T3i and buy the new 1DX.

thgmuffin

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2013, 04:23:24 AM »

Yikes!

When I go out taking pictures, I take anywhere from 100 to 1000 pics in one day. It all adds up.

Selling the camera was the smartest move. Now, I have a new camera,  warranty, and superior pictures. Now, all Canon has to do is release a super upgraded 1DX so I can sell this T3i and buy the new 1DX.

Why do pictures of books require a 1DX type camera that is made for sports/professional work?

If I were taking pictures of books I'd want a high MP with good quality stuff. Something like a 6D/5D MK III will serve you well...

Plus you can use that extra $4000 saved for the sharpest lenses.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2013, 04:23:24 AM »

bholliman

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2013, 07:58:34 AM »
Why do pictures of books require a 1DX type camera that is made for sports/professional work?

If I were taking pictures of books I'd want a high MP with good quality stuff. Something like a 6D/5D MK III will serve you well...

Plus you can use that extra $4000 saved for the sharpest lenses.

+1  the 6D is plenty of camera for shooting books.  You didn't go into detail about what you shoot beyond books, but a 6D will serve you very well if you are shooting primarily landscapes and portraits and not a high percentage of sports, fast action or birds in flight.  The 5D3 is a step up from the 6D with the most notable difference a superior AF system and excellent all-around camera.

The 1D series cameras are awesome and most of us would love to own one.  The AF system, build and features are all professional level.  If you have the money and want one, go for it!  I just don't see any real "need" for a 1D camera given your list of intended uses.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 01:53:07 PM by bholliman »
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF-M 22 2.0, EF-M 18-55mm, Extender EF 2xIII; Speedlites: 600EX-RT(2x), 430EX II

ajfotofilmagem

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2013, 10:37:42 AM »

Yikes!
Looks like our friend Customized Macs (who changed his name) continues photographing books. Nothing wrong with that. However, he continues to ignore the recommendations of the majority of members CR. Why does he keep asking if it will always ignore the answers and do the opposite of what was recommended? Want to buy 1DX for photographing books? Great, go ahead because it's your money. But do not talk out there that the CR community has recommended 1DX for the use you intend. Do not say that the CR community told you that the most expensive camera is always the most suitable for any job. Do not talk that the lens is an item of little importance, because the best camera that will do there best picture, regardless of the lens. Do not talk that the best camera alone will make more accurate adjustments of the photographer behind her. Honestly, for the use you describe seems to me that Nikon D800E + 85mm F1.4 would give you more details to pixel peeper. Even if money is no problem, even so for the job you want 1DX is not the best camera. Do not forget that EF- S lenses do not work on 1DX. However, good news is that the new Canon 18-55mm STM, was designed specifically for use petal-type lens hood, it looks quite cool.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 06:33:44 PM by ajfotofilmagem »

stringfellow1946

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • Chris Weston Photography
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2013, 12:14:38 PM »
Canon suggested Shutter counts are total rubbish. I had a 1DS Mk3 that the shutter failed at 47000 actuations (canon checked). Yet canon would have us believe that the 1DS Mk3 is good for 250000 actuations, yea right!!
Yours ain’t broke so don’t fix, mine was broke so I got it fixed it. SIMPLES
1DX, 1Dmk4, 1D2N, 8-15 f/4L, 16-35 f/2.8L, 24-70 f/2.8 II L, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8 is II L, 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, 35 f/1.4L, 50 f/2.5 macro, 85 f/1.8, 300 f/4 L.

rs

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2013, 01:17:25 PM »

Yikes!

Hold on a sec - you spend your working day, 6 days a week committing plagiarism? You've previously described these books as being just ordinary books - so what are you doing? Even if its to avoid paying for them, you've got library fees to pay, lighting, all the equipment, plus a camera. Which by my reckoning lasted in your own hands just 300 books. Your flashes must be at the end of their life too. So how much is that costing you per book?

And that's before even taking into account your time (a whole year for 300 books) and the end result - 1.5 TB of pixelated, questionably lit, framed and limited DoF, unorganised, large jpegs. I challenge anyone else to have the patience to read one your illegal copies!

You do know you can buy books in pdf and ebook format, sometimes with great discounts? You could buy your years supply of 300 books for less than your current yearly budget, in just a few minutes online. And then you could spend the rest of the year doing a real job, earning real money, and not breaking the law. Although if you want to carry on stealing creative work, why not download the books from a torrent site, reducing your outgoings to zero.

Also, have you considered the file size of a pdf book or an ebook in comparison? Or how simple it is to pick up on any page? Bookmark it? Or how about how all the text is in focus, shadow free? And how you can keep zooming in and it never pixelates? And also read it on a tablet/ebook reader or even a phone?

Sorry - you're obviously enjoying being a photographer. Get your high MP 1 series body when its released. It'll be so much better than downloading ebooks. And it might even last you 600 books!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 01:22:23 PM by rs »
5D II | 24-70 II | 70-200 II | 100L | 40 | Sigma 50/1.4 | 40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 580 EX II | 1.4x TC II

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2013, 04:50:26 PM »
I take about 78,000 pictures every year with my T3i. I read that entry-level DSLRs can take about 150,000 pictures. I have had mine for about two years. So, it may have taken over 150,000 pictures. Should I sell it and get a new one now?

so your buyer gets a camera that probably don´t make it for long?
you can always have the shutter replaced.

Make sure the buyer understands how many shots have been taken with it.

yeah well.... as if that´s the case when someone sells stuff on ebay.   ;D

but it would be nice if canon makes it easier to read out the shutter count.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 04:56:14 PM by Lichtgestalt »

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2013, 04:58:12 PM »
Canon suggested Shutter counts are total rubbish. I had a 1DS Mk3 that the shutter failed at 47000 actuations (canon checked). Yet canon would have us believe that the 1DS Mk3 is good for 250000 actuations, yea right!!

boy read a book about statistics.  ::)
your single person experience means nothing.

others have cameras where the shutter holds for more then twice or triple the specified actuations.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 05:00:10 PM by Lichtgestalt »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2013, 04:58:12 PM »

thgmuffin

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2013, 06:50:39 PM »

others have cameras where the shutter holds for more then twice or triple the specified actuations.

I can't wait to take AP statistics in 2 years.  ::)

IMG_0001

• Rebel T5i
  • Amateur photon abductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2013, 02:17:26 PM »

I can't wait to take AP statistics in 2 years.  ::)

My experience says that 19 times out of 20, 94% of the population aged between 18 and 34 does not care about statistics and that from the remaining 6%, 33% care because they don't understand.

What a mess, my camera's sensor is full of massless particules that keep on trying to behave like waves!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2013, 02:17:26 PM »