August 20, 2014, 10:54:03 AM

Author Topic: So.......  (Read 4328 times)

JTPAIN

So.......
« on: February 18, 2012, 02:23:24 AM »
I know many of you are waiting in anticipation for the 5D III/X, and rightfully so.

This post might therefore not be of any interest to you, but it seems recently amidst the storm of CR1 rated 5D rumours that the camera I expected the most to hear about, and the one I expected to be released the most quickly, has kinda disappeared from forum posts.

i'm talking about the T4i (or whatever they will call it) - it may not be as exciting for many of you as the 5D. but it would still be nice to read some solid rumours about this body, and as the anniversary of EOS looms..... why are we not hearing more about this camera?  :o

I for one would be pretty excited about the announcement!!

canon rumors FORUM

So.......
« on: February 18, 2012, 02:23:24 AM »

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
Re: So.......
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 02:31:04 AM »
I'd also be excited to heard about it (are we talking about the 650D or 70D in real terms?). I'd presume 650D comes first anyway.

Either way, there's one of three options:
- 650D comes with the same 18MP sensor as 600d, 550d, 60d, 7d before it, just a few minor feature-tweaks and digic5.
- 650D leads with a new (higher mp and/or bigger photosite higher DR/ISO) sensor. That would be weird. Then we're left wondering whether the 70d/7d2 will follow with the same sensor or have an even better one (i'd presume 70d would come with same sensor as 650d, and 7d2 has a better one)
- or 7d2 comes first? given that that's not very likely before the end of the year, is the low-end going to be left stuck with the 550/600D for another year? Nikon finally is giving some competition on the low-end with the D5100 and D7000, and my mum's 60D-priced K5 is actually closer in specs to my 7D. Given where most of their sales come from, I don't think canon can wait even longer before competing with them...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

moreorless

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 03:11:09 AM »
Given that Canon does seem to have lost a bit of an edge in lower end sales over the past year I wouldnt be shocked if they were to preview a new sensor in the T4i/650D. By going agenst conventional wisdom they'd potentially end up with a significant advanatge over there rivals in what is ultimately by far the largest SLR market.

On one hand you could argue that the 7D2/70D would miss out on some sales if the new sensor appeared in a lower end model from users who don't want better build/fps/af but on the other you could argue many current 7D/xxD users might buy a 650D in the short term just to use the new sensor then buy a higher end model they really want with the same sensor latter.

D.Sim

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 04:01:19 AM »
Given that Canon does seem to have lost a bit of an edge in lower end sales over the past year I wouldnt be shocked if they were to preview a new sensor in the T4i/650D. By going agenst conventional wisdom they'd potentially end up with a significant advanatge over there rivals in what is ultimately by far the largest SLR market.

On one hand you could argue that the 7D2/70D would miss out on some sales if the new sensor appeared in a lower end model from users who don't want better build/fps/af but on the other you could argue many current 7D/xxD users might buy a 650D in the short term just to use the new sensor then buy a higher end model they really want with the same sensor latter.
Downgrading other options all for a new sensor when those cameras already have a very good sensor in them?
Highly unlikely...

moreorless

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 05:52:12 AM »

Downgrading other options all for a new sensor when those cameras already have a very good sensor in them?
Highly unlikely...

Depends on what your shooting, I can't image a 7D user buying a 650D to shoot sports but to shoot landscapes? certainly seems possible to me if the IQ was higher.

malasuerte

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 06:02:12 AM »
I dont think it will be a new sensor in t4i, just a digicV. But nothing about the specs so far...

idimoe

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 02:52:05 AM »
the camera I expected the most to hear about, and the one I expected to be released the most quickly, has kinda disappeared from forum posts.

i'm talking about the T4i (or whatever they will call it) - it may not be as exciting for many of you as the 5D. but it would still be nice to read some solid rumours about this body, and as the anniversary of EOS looms..... why are we not hearing more about this camera?  :o

Exactly. Odd that not a lot of news is out about it. Given the last few years, it's reasonable to assume that a new rebel would be released in the near future. I guess the noobs will have to wait their turn until after the 5D3 news storm is over. I'm also interested to see if there will be a new APS-C sensor and what it will compromise of.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 02:52:05 AM »

koolman

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Pictures Of Jerusalem
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 04:01:45 AM »
I think the new 650d ? or whatever they call the < $900 small body is quite a challenge for canon, as as far as small high quality bodies, there are allot of choices out there, and the competition for smaller consumer bodies is fierce.

The competitions bodies (sony, olympus, fuji, panasonic) are all high quality, smaller, and for most people quite sufficient.

Unless the new "rebel" has some real advantage - it might be a little late, and canon could lose there long standing hold and advantage in this market segment. Hence the "hesitation" to announce.

Jerusalem Photographer (canon t2i, 50 1.4, Tamron 17-50 non VC, canon 60mm, canon 35mm L,Samyang 14mm MF,Voigtlander 20mm MF)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 08:14:02 AM »
The last two years, a new Rebel body has been announced in early February.  Perhaps Canon had planned to follow that pattern this year, too.  Then, it became apparent that the D800 would be announced at that time.  Granted, they're aimed at different markets, but given the apparent pent up desire for a 5DII replacement, what would the news media have done?  Could have been a field day - "Nikon gives us a 36 MP FF monster with the highest resolution FF sensor ever, and in response, Canon gives us...a new Rebel with the same tired, old 18 MP APS-C sensor." 

Perhaps the T4i/650D is ready, and Canon is just waiting for the D800 announcement to fade a bit.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 09:38:06 AM »
given this has started with the 1dx and the next is expected to be the 5dx, then i guess they will slowly realse the new kit but starting at the top of the range and working down...

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 10:55:08 AM »
Maybe we aren't hearing much about the T4i because there isn't one on the horizon?

I'm  trying to think what is missing from the current model that would likely be added. How has Canon lost the "edge" against the competition? I admit I don't study camera models that closely, but in looking at the T3i, I'm trying to figure out what they should add to it.

Just because the Rebels have been on a certain cycle in the past doesn't mean Canon has to stick to that same cycle in the future. Remember, the technology is maturing. We're not likely to see the big leaps over the coming years that we've seen in the past.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

bonedaddy.p7

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • I Like Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 01:07:48 PM »
Maybe we aren't hearing much about the T4i because there isn't one on the horizon?

I'm  trying to think what is missing from the current model that would likely be added. How has Canon lost the "edge" against the competition? I admit I don't study camera models that closely, but in looking at the T3i, I'm trying to figure out what they should add to it.

I'm starting to wonder if this isn't the real reason, I think it would be great in marketing terms for them to release the 650D this year: "25 years ago Canon revolutionized photography with the EOS 650, this year they do it again with the 650D" (my speculation on marketing phrase, with no relation to reality) however, I don't really know what they would have to offer to back up a statement like that... Video auto-focus? a slightly improved sensor? in-body IS? face recognition? I doubt any of those would really be enough since either the competition or other models have those features.

That being said I've seen a 24MP rumor but that's about it. Part of me wants them to go ahead and release a new model just to get it out and over with so they can focus on the 7D2 and 70D, but I doubt they'd do anything too drastic since it could impact 60D and 7D sales by making some wait for their replacements for the higher models to get the new features (assuming they wouldn't "downgrade" just for those features).

In my ideal world they'd announce the 5DII and 7D replacements this month or next and then release the 70D and/or 650D later in the year after those models have actually hit the market and the people in those markets at least have their orders placed. It's an interesting idea that they could do the 650 and have features "trickle up" as they test and prove the newer technologies but I am not sure it would bode as well for sales as if they "trickled down".
Canon XTi, AE-1 Program, Rebel II, Tamron 17-50 VC, Zenitar-M 50/1.7 and a bunch of other cheap lenses (50/1.8FD, 18-55 EF-S Kit, 35-70 Kit, 80-200 4.5-5.6). S100 classic.

tt

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 05:18:49 PM »
Simultaneous release?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 05:18:49 PM »

idimoe

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 05:50:50 PM »

Just because the Rebels have been on a certain cycle in the past doesn't mean Canon has to stick to that same cycle in the future. Remember, the technology is maturing. We're not likely to see the big leaps over the coming years that we've seen in the past.

Valid point, but the Rebel line has never been about technology. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Rebels are some of the better selling DSLR cameras in the market. So this is about volume. A refresh every year makes perfect business sense, not technological sense per say.

Some other factors that may have contributed to the delay in release are the environmental factors from last year (earthquake and flooding). Also, as aforementioned, pushing the release to the holiday season and having features "trickle down" (as opposed to trickle up) from higher end models makes sense. It's all speculation!  :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 05:50:50 PM »