April 20, 2014, 05:01:03 AM

Author Topic: Best HDR Software?  (Read 25297 times)

privatebydesign

• 1D X
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
Re: Best HDR Software?
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2014, 10:47:37 AM »
I'm looking to buy PtGui for the pano aspect, but is it also a capable HDR program?  It is advertised as HDR stitching software, but video tutorials I've watched seem to use a work flow that is about blend plains in PtGui, then processing in other software.  Am I missing something before I make the purchase, or is it just a matter of preference and the one program can do the whole thing?

You can take your HDR brackets for each pano shot into PtGui and have it stitch together a 32 bit HDR pano.  Save this Pano and then take the saved high bit pano into Photoshop and use the NiK HDR plug-in on the high bit image to tone map it into a standard tif format image.  I've used this process many times and it works well for me.  You can see some of my sunset panos done this way in the sunrise-sunset gallery at www.ronbrunsvold.com

Both CS6 and Lightroom 5 (and maybe 4) can process the 32 bit file, no need for NiK if you have those.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2014, 10:47:37 AM »

bluenoser1993

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2014, 12:13:48 PM »
So would it be a choice between LR 5 and the NIK suite, or are both required?  I use Aperture and I'm looking for HDR capability, as well as pano.  In addition to the HDR, is the sharpening and noise reduction that much different as compared to Aperture?  I like the object removal tool of LR, but want a capable HDR program that will do the work I need on the files from PtGui.  Trying to figure out what software I need/want I find I'm going in circles. :-[

privatebydesign

• 1D X
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2014, 07:40:11 PM »
So would it be a choice between LR 5 and the NIK suite, or are both required?  I use Aperture and I'm looking for HDR capability, as well as pano.  In addition to the HDR, is the sharpening and noise reduction that much different as compared to Aperture?  I like the object removal tool of LR, but want a capable HDR program that will do the work I need on the files from PtGui.  Trying to figure out what software I need/want I find I'm going in circles. :-[
I haven't used Nik, but Lightroom can definitely fully process a 32bit file and there would be no need for anything else.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2014, 07:40:11 PM »