September 18, 2014, 02:12:22 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS-M Begins Shipping  (Read 10977 times)

c.d.embrey

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS-M Begins Shipping
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 12:22:26 PM »

IMO Canon just want to prevent current EOS users from buying other brands when mirrorless coming into their minds, because they can mount whatever canon lens onto this one. That's the only selling point, other than that the EOS M seems a generation behind others.

Too little and way too late!! I already have a Sony NEX-5n, a great sensor (better than the EOS 7D) hadicapped by a lousy lens selection. It will soon be replaced by either a Fuji X-E1 (great sensor, good lens selection  :) ) or an Olympus OM-D E-5M (good sensor, great lens selection :)  :) ). Sorry Canon, the horse is already out of the barn. You snooz you looz, simple as that.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 12:24:38 PM by c.d.embrey »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 12:22:26 PM »

simonxu11

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 12:31:42 PM »

Too little and way too late!! I already have a Sony NEX-5n, a great sensor (better than the EOS 7D) hadicapped by a lousy lens selection. It will soon be replaced by either a Fuji X-E1 (great sensor, good lens selection  :) ) or an Olympus OM-D E-5M (good sensor, great lens selection :)  :) ). Sorry Canon, the horse is already out of the barn. You snooz you looz, simple as that.
Yep, cannot agree more.
I sold my nex 5n a few months ago, the replacement will be the nex 6 or the Fuji XE1.

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 01:17:16 PM »
Probably the EOS-M is only about style.  8)

Imagine a bird photographer removing her/his 1D camera back from a 600 f4 lens. Instead of a rear lens cap now you can connect an EOS-M with EF-adapter. Isn't that cool?  :o

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 01:19:32 PM »
Imagine a bird photographer removing her/his 1D camera back from a 600 f4 lens. Instead of a rear lens cap now you can connect an EOS-M with EF-adapter.

So, we have the EOS-M as a rear lens cap, and the 40/2.8 pancake as a body cap.  The ultimate in ready-to-use convenience.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 01:35:52 PM »
Check-out the size difference between a Rebel 4Ti and the EOS-M here  http://camerasize.com/compare/#333,351  Smaller size = less weight "Canon EOS Rebel T4i [575 g] weights 93% (277 grams) more than Canon EOS M [298 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card)." The EOS-M, with the EF-M 22mm f/2.0 STM lens (=36mm FF) is pocketable and the Rebel 4Ti w/ an EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM (=38mm FF) isn't. It should be a great camera for "street photographers."

Thanks. I can see the appeal for street use, kind of an in between powershot and rebel. Hmmm I take some of my earlier stick waving back.

And I like the link, very handy!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 01:37:29 PM by Zv »
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

EOS M | 22 f/2 | 11-22 IS

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 02:14:07 PM »
Those who think a Rebel with 40/2.8 will be as compact as an EOS M with its small prime are mistaken.  The EOS M can be worn on your belt, or in your pocket, try that with a Rebel.  The EOS M is closer to an iPhone in size, a big iPhone, but you get the idea.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

larvalubber

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 02:33:52 PM »
First time poster here:  The EOS M actually holds great potential as a dedicated microscope camera.  The lack of a flip-up mirror eliminates vibration during exposure, the APS-C sensor is a great size, and 18MP provides plenty of detail.  Does anyone know if the M includes EOS Utilities software for live image preview and direct capture?  I currently use a 7D on a microscope and will be happy to exchange it for something smaller and lighter.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 02:33:52 PM »

Act444

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2012, 05:41:16 PM »
Like I posted in the other thread, photo samples can be viewed on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?s=rec&ss=2&w=all&q=%22eos+m%22&m=text

I have to say a couple of (not-so-good) things stand out to me:

1) Distortion/curvature. For a 22mm (35mm) lens it seems to have quite a bit of it?

2) IQ doesn't seem to be QUITE on DSLR level (but still a step up from P&S). Maybe it's the optics of the EF-M lenses which may not be quite as good as the DSLR versions, but...not blown away by the performance.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 05:42:50 PM by Act444 »

DarkKnightNine

• EOS M2
  • The best camera is the one that's with you.
    • View Profile
    • Marven Payne Creative Visuals
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2012, 06:08:04 PM »
If size is an issue....

Size wasn't the issue.  The issue was a market segment in which Canon had no presence, meaning potential lost revenue.

But I do hate that they didn't make it EF default.

They couldn't, realistically, since the EF mount requires a 44mm flange to sensor distance, vs. the 18mm of the EF-M mount, meaning the EOS-M would need to be a full 1" thicker.

Exactly! This is just another money opportunity for Canon. I don't think they put much thought or R&D into this camera. When it was announced, it was already behind the rest of the market segment meaning it was just meant to be a cash cow in a segment that Canon didn't have a presence. If they really cared about this segment, they would have examined what the competition was already doing and offered a better alternative at a competing price. That's how you enter a market you truly care to win. The evidence is strong that Canon does not. But we'll have to wait and see if they wise up. I hope for their sake that they do.

Canon's decisions of late have been based on arrogance that they can just stamp the Canon logo on any product and the masses will come. Why even bother with innovation? Perhaps with a few flops under their belt, it may force them to get off their high horse and start giving us truly brilliant products at reasonable prices that we all know they are capable of.
Canon 1DX, Canon 5D Mark III, EF 85mm F1.2L II USM, EF 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM, 600EX-RT Speedlites, Profoto Studio Strobes, and a whole lot of boat load of light modifiers.

jouster

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2012, 10:02:57 PM »
If they stick 24MP or more in the second gen, I'll be interested. Would work well for my solar system imaging. The less weight you have to hang off the focuser, the better.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 06:00:20 AM »
I have one on pre order after so many problems with my Fuji x10 and the completely useless Fuji service the shop took the camera back and put the money against a preorder M my first lens I try on it will be the 600mm fd
APS-H Fanboy

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 08:25:38 AM »
Sounds promising with the 600mm. Please provide some initial quick review of results with the EOS-M.

bbasiaga

• EOS M2
  • Canon Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2012, 09:05:30 AM »
If they stick 24MP or more in the second gen, I'll be interested. Would work well for my solar system imaging. The less weight you have to hang off the focuser, the better.

Interesting thought there....I wonder how long it will be before the various shops start to offer the Baader mod for it?  If that happens, a second hand EOS M may be in my future.  Modification voids the warranty anyway, and the cost of the mod is ususally high, so might as well buy used.  I suspect you'd have to use the M mount to EF mount adapter so your T threads would work, right?  Or is the M-EF adapter just to increase the flange distance?

-Brian

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2012, 09:05:30 AM »

hiplnsdrftr

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2012, 09:55:18 AM »
Designing it without a built in flash limits it's usefulness and versatility.

Including a built in flash would have made it only slightly larger, an add on flash defeats any size advantage it has.

In any case, this forces me to consider the unfortunately larger (but has a built in flash) Fuji X-E1.

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2012, 09:34:09 PM »
i was just in japan and used this camera a little. i didn't realize it wasn't out yet in the US or I would've played with it more. Image quality seems on par with my 550D, very nice. First thing I noticed though was that it was verrrrrrrrrrrry slow to focus. Immediately killed it for me.
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2012, 09:34:09 PM »