April 20, 2014, 06:04:03 AM

Author Topic: Lightroom 4.2 update  (Read 12991 times)

lipe

• PowerShot G16
  • 1DX a legend camera
    • View Profile
Re: Lightroom 4.2 update
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2012, 04:00:59 PM »
hi

did they fix the sizing when doing the re size

when

such as 728 x 485 landscape
and 485 x 728 portrait

like dpp you, so simple so easy 4.1 can not do

5D Classic
5D III+200 F/2L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2012, 04:00:59 PM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2012, 10:08:06 PM »
I just realized that DNG.files are like 3x faster in develop mode to load than canon's own cr2.. Anyone else here who noticed that?
I don't use LR4 yet (I am getting a system that will run it shortly) but I do use DNG because the 5D3 is not supported in LR3. That said, when using DNG it helps to use the conversion setting of 'Embed Fast Load Data'.

And when you do your DNG conversion, go to Preferences and check "Embed Fast Load Data".

-PW

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2012, 10:59:02 PM »
I just realized that DNG.files are like 3x faster in develop mode to load than canon's own cr2.. Anyone else here who noticed that?
I don't use LR4 yet (I am getting a system that will run it shortly) but I do use DNG because the 5D3 is not supported in LR3. That said, when using DNG it helps to use the conversion setting of 'Embed Fast Load Data'.

On paper DNG is supposed to be as good as RAW, but does it have "all" the information that a RAW has? Has anyone done tests on this?
Yes and No.  It depends on which of the three versions of DNG you select.  If you pick the one with the RAW files embeded, everything is there.  Otherwise, some of the Canon unique tags may not be there.  Lightroom doesn't use these anyway, so it makes no difference.
You can also open DPP and batch save the files to photoshop or wherever you want them.  They will be converted to tiff files,which are more universally used than DNG.  You will still lose the Canon specific tags.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2012, 02:55:37 PM »
Thanks!

What about ability to recover highlights/ shadows... RAWs seem to have much more DR than jpegs... will this be compromised in TIFF or other renders?
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Jamesy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2012, 05:05:27 PM »
Tons of very accomplished photographers are onboard with DNG. Scott Kelby, Chris Orwig and Jared Platt come to mind. You can embed post processing information into a DNG after the fact - in LR just do a CTRL-S and what ever edits you have done get burned into the DNG.

Embedding CR2's inside the DNG is a waste of space - the files will be huge. Some people would say that you may lose the Canon special sauce but at the same time they rely on Lightroom or Bridge to render their CR2 RAW files which is the same potion that Adobe uses to convert to DNG.

I have yet to see a difference between DNG and CR2 but YMMV.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2012, 05:27:51 PM »
Tons of very accomplished photographers are onboard with DNG. Scott Kelby, Chris Orwig and Jared Platt come to mind. You can embed post processing information into a DNG after the fact - in LR just do a CTRL-S and what ever edits you have done get burned into the DNG.

Embedding CR2's inside the DNG is a waste of space - the files will be huge. Some people would say that you may lose the Canon special sauce but at the same time they rely on Lightroom or Bridge to render their CR2 RAW files which is the same potion that Adobe uses to convert to DNG.

I have yet to see a difference between DNG and CR2 but YMMV.

Tks Jamesy.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2012, 05:27:51 PM »