April 26, 2018, 11:38:46 PM

Author Topic: Jared Polin a7III Review comparing with 6D Mark II  (Read 3361 times)

tron

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
Re: Jared Polin a7III Review comparing with 6D Mark II
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2018, 02:37:42 PM »
25-50 is really too much unless you mean 25 for luminance and 50 for color. Even with 25 in luminance you lose sharpness a little. OK you may tweek the sharpness settings but still. Having said that I use these settings too for my highest iso shots but I am comparing apples to oranges since I do not refer to shooting in the dark pictures but action ones. Also many report that 6DII files can be cleaned nicely in PP so yes you have a point. Could you please elaborate more about your noise handling settings by the way?

Right: generally, on midrange-ISO shots I like 25 luminance, 50 color, and recover a bit more sharpness with a tiny bit sharpening, because you can control the edges there.   On ISO 400 and below, luminance will be between 0-20.  Color is generally pretty non-destructive to detail, so it's just whatever looks good for the shot.

On photos that are higher ISO and have undesirable grain -- obviously depending on the subject -- up to 50 luminance, but that will appear obviously artificially sharpened.  It happens with wildlife shots where there was no choice because of available light, and I where I don't have many photos of that bird or other animal.

But basically, there are photos I really care about and the infinite number of other ones.  On the small number of photos I really care about, it's different for every photo (or set) anyhow.  I start with color, get it where I want it, play with luminance sliders, and then finish with sharpness, often going back to luminance.
OK, we agree more or less. I have 5D4 among others and it is superb at low light. I love it for night scenes, museums, churches interiors, even low light scenes with action. It is only for bird action where I use 5DsR and/or 7D2 that I have a need for rather strong noise reduction sometimes when the light is low. In these cases sometimes I use a 2-step denoising (by producing a raw .dng file as an intermediary) and continuing with ACR. But back to the topic, many have stated how well the 6DII files can be cleared from noise.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2018, 02:37:42 PM »

stevelee

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2018, 05:55:25 PM »
When I first got the 6D2, I went out in front of the house at night and shot blooms on the bushes with just a little light spilling over from the front porch and maybe a bit from the street light a couple doors down. Everything was set on auto, and IS was turned on. The ISO turned out to be 40,000. The IS took care of shake. The color was surprisingly decent. And noise was easily toned down in ACR. It didn’t look like noontime on a sunny day, but it had an interesting look, and would be quite usable after moderate NR. I was much impressed.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2018, 05:55:25 PM »