December 13, 2017, 02:35:27 AM

Author Topic: Canon must hurry up on FF mirrorless, Sony's new A9 is killer  (Read 73769 times)

roast_pigeon

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
Re: Canon must hurry up on FF mirrorless, Sony's new A9 is killer
« Reply #225 on: May 14, 2017, 04:20:47 AM »
Hi All,
I used to be a Nikon man back in the 80’s. Due to some strange course of events, I got some reimbursement money from my insurance company which I used to buy a T6/1200D with kit lenses 35-55mm USM and 70-300mm USM. It was a good camera, although not on professional level. I thoroughly enjoyed it and it reignited my interest in taking photos. After a year, I bought an 80D when it was released here in Oceania/Asia. The 80D is a great camera. I took it travelling and going to family events. Truly, it is fantastic camera. I have so much joy using and learning about its capabilities, although it does no 4K videos. It got me to acquire the Plastic Fantastic 50mm f1.8 STM and a 50-250mm IS STM.
Right now I am thinking of expanding my lenses collection. I have come across the Sigma and Tamron new releases. They are impressive. They can be used in APS-C cameras with great results, but as they are built for full frame DSLRs, getting a full frame seems a good way to unlock the best these lenses can offer. I have been thinking of the possibility of a 90D or a 6D Mark II. But now Sony A9 seems to have stir the pot that I am wondering if DSLRs, though not going to disappear immediately, are going to gradually fade away. Wouldn’t it be better to wait and see if Canon’s answer to Sony A9 challenge will cause Canon to produce new lenses in EF-M mount only? Although adapters are available, but is Canon going to walk away from the EF mount legacy? What about the EF-S mount cameras? Ok, who says EF-M is Canon’s only future?
I would like your opinions. Just one last thing, yes, the technology can shift to mirrorless completely, but it is not going to chip off the joy one can have from DLSRs for amateurs like me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #225 on: May 14, 2017, 04:20:47 AM »

Sporgon

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #226 on: May 14, 2017, 07:24:27 AM »
I have been thinking of the possibility of a 90D or a 6D Mark II. But now Sony A9 seems to have stir the pot

Quite some difference in price ........

Jack Douglas

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • http://www.gohaidagwaii.ca/blog/eagle-photography-
« Reply #227 on: May 14, 2017, 01:54:50 PM »
Yes, just like Sony's TV's were such "killers" that they couldn't compete against Samsung.

And these innovators never saw digital replacing cassettes for personal listening devices.

Great laptops, VAIO's, but, of course, who could foresee Apple's revival or PC's becoming commodities?

Don't bring up anything as ancient as the Betamax vs VHS debacle.

Or Blu-ray?  Right, they "won" over HD DVD, but ten years on, people still prefer DVD.  No money there for Sony.

Nobody fumbles with good products like Sony.

Anybody who wants to gamble thousands of dollars on Sony gear is welcome to get on the bus with 'em.

I still have top of the line Sony stereo equipment from the 80's.  If I could afford it back then, it would be Sony.  I must say I don't feel that way at all today.  I wouldn't risk a marriage to Sony photographic equipment involving many thousands of dollars. Never.

Jack
1DX2   11-24 F4   24-70 F4   70-200 F2.8 II   300 F2.8 II   1.4X III   2X III   400 DO F4 II 

http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/profile/647784/

Rockskipper

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #228 on: May 14, 2017, 05:12:07 PM »
Where's the photo?!

Jack

I've tried to upload photos a couple of times, but I think I may be too new, as the forum won't let me.

You may be right.  Make sure you stick with us cause I want to see that photo. ;)

Jack

I'll try again.

As for not buying a DSLR because someday mirrorless is going to take over, all I can say is it's going to be awhile. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a DSLR and good glass now. Until the focus, battery, and blackout problems can be fixed, I'm sticking with a DSLR as my main camera, and I do own a M5. You can buy an adapter for EF lenses. And in my book nothing matches an optical viewfinder. An EVF just isn't close.

I was going to buy a GoPro a few years ago and after tons of research ended up buying the equiv in the Sony brand, which ended up being a lot better camera. We all know GoPro's starting to tank, but I don't think it's from competition with Sony.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 05:34:36 PM by Rockskipper »

roast_pigeon

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #229 on: May 14, 2017, 08:08:58 PM »
I have been thinking of the possibility of a 90D or a 6D Mark II. But now Sony A9 seems to have stir the pot

Quite some difference in price ........

True, at least $1,000 difference. Assuming 90D will have 4K video (better codec than in 5D-IV) and upgrades from 80D, to me it would still not be a good level-up for my purposes. I would spend an extra $1,000 to go full-frame by getting the entry-level 6D-II. Make sense?

My biggest concern is if Canon goes full-frame mirror-less, will the current EF/EF-S lenses and APS-C cameras become "things-of-2010's"?

Cheers

Normalnorm

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #230 on: May 17, 2017, 02:07:54 AM »
At the end of the day the Canon (and Nikon) competitors are the more mature products.
Sony has improved dramatically in a short time but still lags in a few areas.

At the moment, as much as I love ML, I find that they just cannot focus well in low light. As that is so much of my work they are a no-go for me.

hmatthes

• EOS Rebel 300D
  • 6D, SL1, 35/1.4, 17-35/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8
    • Matthes Images Website
« Reply #231 on: May 19, 2017, 06:53:41 PM »
My biggest concern is if Canon goes full-frame mirror-less, will the current EF/EF-S lenses and APS-C cameras become "things-of-2010's"?
The reason FF cameras do not support EF-S lenses is that their mirror is longer than the APSc's counterpart...
Mirrorless cameras often support other lenses with deeper rear elements.  Smart ones sense the lens type and will crop accordingly.
What a great idea!  The Canon FF mirrorless with EF mount will support all our L glass and could very well support the EF-S lenses as well.
Personally, I sold all my EF-S to financially help my migration back to full frame glass.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #231 on: May 19, 2017, 06:53:41 PM »

pokerz

• EOS M5
« Reply #232 on: May 19, 2017, 11:41:09 PM »
The reason FF cameras do not support EF-S lenses is that their mirror is longer than the APSc's counterpart...
Mirrorless cameras often support other lenses with deeper rear elements.  Smart ones sense the lens type and will crop accordingly.
What a great idea!  The Canon FF mirrorless with EF mount will support all our L glass and could very well support the EF-S lenses as well.
Personally, I sold all my EF-S to financially help my migration back to full frame glass.
Eosm works best with STM motors, get prepared to upgrade all EF lens to STM version

SteveM

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #233 on: May 20, 2017, 05:40:00 AM »
Check out the eye AF on the Sony A9 in this video I found on slr lounge:

https://www.slrlounge.com/sony-a9-eye-af-tracks-like-a-predator-see-it-in-action/

Don't know the value of this in 'the field' for sport or bif but it is nevertheless seriously impressive

BillB

• EOS 80D
« Reply #234 on: May 20, 2017, 07:55:33 AM »

Eosm works best with STM motors, get prepared to upgrade all EF lens to STM version
[/quote]

STM may be good for video because it is quiet.  Why would USM be a problem with mirrorless?  My USM lenses seem to work fine with Live View autofocus.

LonelyBoy

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #235 on: May 20, 2017, 09:08:48 AM »

STM may be good for video because it is quiet.  Why would USM be a problem with mirrorless?  My USM lenses seem to work fine with Live View autofocus.
[/quote]

Yeah, I think people went from "STM is good for video because of being quiet and smooth, and DPAF is good for video because of quick LV AF" to "STM and DPAF only work best together, and shouldn't be mixed with PDAF and USM".  I swear I got to watch it unfolding over the past few years.

rrcphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #236 on: May 22, 2017, 11:14:27 AM »

not really true with the M5/M6.

barton springs

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #237 on: May 22, 2017, 02:26:57 PM »
20 fps with 24MP sensor
blackout-free EVF
fully silent, vibration-free operation
5-axis in-body IS
693 AF points
AF joystick
2.2X bigger battery than A7-series
dual UHS-II SD slots
among other new features

$4500, priced just above the 5D4 and well below the 1DX2

For a fair comparison to 1DXM2 add a grip, more batteries. A9 on B/H $5,158 vs 1DXM2 $5,999 also B/H

Rick
Austin, TX
Pro Action Photographer since 2002
1DXM2_1DX_1DM4(2)_1DsM3_300 2.8LIS_70-200 2.8LII IS_85 1.2LII_24-70 2.8LII_24 1.4LII, 16-35 2.8L, 14 2.8LII, 70-200 4.0LII IS, Profoto B1x2 & B2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #237 on: May 22, 2017, 02:26:57 PM »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #238 on: May 22, 2017, 03:54:55 PM »
20 fps with 24MP sensor
blackout-free EVF
fully silent, vibration-free operation
5-axis in-body IS
693 AF points
AF joystick
2.2X bigger battery than A7-series
dual UHS-II SD slots
among other new features

$4500, priced just above the 5D4 and well below the 1DX2

For a fair comparison to 1DXM2 add a grip, more batteries. A9 on B/H $5,158 vs 1DXM2 $5,999 also B/H

Rick
Austin, TX
Pro Action Photographer since 2002

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=32421.msg661247#msg661247

"But you can get a new 1DX MkII and 100-400 for $6,800, a Sony A9 and 100-400 is going to cost you $7,750 with grip and comparable battery power. By any measure the Sony is overpriced.

That is not to say I don't see a lot of interest in features like silent shooting, no blackout time, shutter speed range, etc etc, but how anybody can start leveling the Sony against the Canon 1DX MkII and Nikon D5 at this time is laughable. Next generation or two if they dig deep and get the lenses, flashes, and service/support, otherwise the idea of making serious inroads into that 1DX MkII/D5 market is simply not happening."

Further, despite several years of debunking any Canon release because of 'unusable DR' if early test results hold up it appears that the 1DX MkII has the best DR of the three blue ribbon action cameras.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

Mikehit

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #239 on: May 22, 2017, 04:07:29 PM »

Further, despite several years of debunking any Canon release because of 'unusable DR' if early test results hold up it appears that the 1DX MkII has the best DR of the three blue ribbon action cameras.

Yup. Ask douglaurent. He agrees.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #239 on: May 22, 2017, 04:07:29 PM »