June 21, 2018, 10:55:27 AM

Author Topic: New Canon 70-200mm Lenses Coming in Early June [CR3]  (Read 21846 times)

CanonFanBoy

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Bipolar. When it is happening I don't realize it.
Re: New Canon 70-200mm Lenses Coming in Early June [CR3]
« Reply #135 on: May 22, 2018, 03:32:02 AM »
i expect the Mk. III to be a little improved in IQ, IS, AF... the usual non-innovative, marginal improvement iterative stuff we've seen for the past decades.

What the heck are you talking about? Why don't you explain what you think would be innovative when it comes to an EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III vs the II? Just what do you think could be done there to make it "innovative". What "thing" do you think would make any 70-200 "innovative"? Surely you must have some idea.

Past decades? No innovation since at least 1998?  :o :o :o  ::) ::) ::)

I swear, I think people use words sometimes and have no idea what they themselves mean when they use them. They just want to use the word. Or they decry what they think is a lack of innovation, but cannot articulate what they might perceive as innovative.

Nothing innovative since at least 1998? What world are you living in? Do you even think about what you type before you type it? Nothing, NOTHING could possibly satisfy somebody who has the perceptions you have.
5D Mark III, Canon EF 24-70 F/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L II, 135 f/2L, Streaklight 360ws, Flashpoint XPLOR 600PRO, 26x m42 screw mount lenses adapted to my DSLR. Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II, Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: May 22, 2018, 03:32:02 AM »

fullstop

• EOS 80D
« Reply #136 on: May 22, 2018, 04:41:56 AM »
"slightly innovative" would for example be a 50-150/2.8 mirrorless FF lens, considerably smaller and lighter but in all respects [other than the 50mm less reach  :)] even better than the 70-200 2.8 L IS II: IQ, AF, IS, and providing distance information for use in a long overdue improved version of the Canon *wireless* E-TTL protocol - so it would finally also support second curtain sync.

Needless to say, that lens would come in new slim mount for an equally innovative mirrorless Canon FF body.

To make target specs specific, let's say something easily achievable like size&weight max (!) what the discontinued Sigma 50-150/2.8 EX HSM / II lenses were: DxL 3.0 x 5.3" (76 x 135mm), weight 27.2 oz (780g), 67mm filter thread, np if it was  77mm - as long as overall size parameters are met.

Ah yes, and make it black please, not that awful off-white bird's poo color. Now, that would be "slightly innovative" to me. 

"Really innovative" would be something like a Canon lightfield/computational camera system without any need for large, heavy, clumsy and expensive optical lenses.  :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 04:53:44 AM by fullstop »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #137 on: May 22, 2018, 06:31:41 AM »
From a dictionary that somehow got transmogrified from the Mode Dial Boy Universe into the real world:

in·no·va·tive   ˈinəˌvādiv   adjective
1. when a manufacturer makes a product that I personally want
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

Don Haines

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #138 on: May 22, 2018, 08:05:43 AM »
i expect the Mk. III to be a little improved in IQ, IS, AF... the usual non-innovative, marginal improvement iterative stuff we've seen for the past decades.

What the heck are you talking about? Why don't you explain what you think would be innovative when it comes to an EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III vs the II? Just what do you think could be done there to make it "innovative". What "thing" do you think would make any 70-200 "innovative"? Surely you must have some idea.

Past decades? No innovation since at least 1998?  :o :o :o  ::) ::) ::)

I swear, I think people use words sometimes and have no idea what they themselves mean when they use them. They just want to use the word. Or they decry what they think is a lack of innovation, but cannot articulate what they might perceive as innovative.

Nothing innovative since at least 1998? What world are you living in? Do you even think about what you type before you type it? Nothing, NOTHING could possibly satisfy somebody who has the perceptions you have.

Sometimes it is hard to tell innovation from incremental increases....

For example, BR and other nano coatings could be described as innovative, yet could also be described as an incremental improvement.....

The lens design software (to those not using it) would be seen as an incremental improvement, yet aspects of the software such as new algorithms and GPU programming would be seen as innovation....

The preparation and machining of materials is yet another case where it can be seen as both.

The point being, that we users of the lenses do not have a detailed view of what goes into creating a new lens and that there is a lot of innovation that is invisible to us. All we see is the end product which is (hopefully) a bit better than the preceding version, so we think that it has been incrementally improved. The reality is that the incremental improvements are the result of innovation.
The best camera is the one in your hands

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #139 on: May 22, 2018, 10:11:52 AM »

What the heck are you talking about? ...

I swear, I think people use words sometimes and have no idea what they themselves mean when they use them...

...The reality is that the incremental improvements are the result of innovation.

I struggle with trying to figure out what sort of "innovation" is lacking in a lens.  It seems like a lens has a pretty basic purpose: focus light rays on a film (now sensor) plane. Beyond that, everything else is gravy. If a new lens is sharper, has better image stabilization, focuses faster, minimizes weight and minimizes optical problems, what sort of "innovation" are people looking for?

Maybe some sort of magical formula that makes an f1.0 lens the size and weight of an f8 lens at half the cost?

bereninga

• EOS 80D
« Reply #140 on: May 22, 2018, 11:19:44 AM »

For example, BR and other nano coatings could be described as innovative, yet could also be described as an incremental improvement.....

The lens design software (to those not using it) would be seen as an incremental improvement, yet aspects of the software such as new algorithms and GPU programming would be seen as innovation....

The preparation and machining of materials is yet another case where it can be seen as both.

The point being, that we users of the lenses do not have a detailed view of what goes into creating a new lens and that there is a lot of innovation that is invisible to us. All we see is the end product which is (hopefully) a bit better than the preceding version, so we think that it has been incrementally improved. The reality is that the incremental improvements are the result of innovation.

THIS, people.

ahsanford

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • USM > STM
« Reply #141 on: May 22, 2018, 12:04:48 PM »
From a dictionary that somehow got transmogrified from the Mode Dial Boy Universe into the real world:

Exactly.  If I don't get a curved sensor paper thin body with a 35-135 f/1.4 IS BR Macro T/S Pancake DO USM, I'll go over to the other company that offers--  that I thought offered this and tell their users that I am going to leave them even though I never really was one of them if I don't get that same camera yesterday or the world sucks.

Canon is amazing in how many people it can irritate for not offering what they want, yet still get their money in the end.

- A
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 12:07:14 PM by ahsanford »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #141 on: May 22, 2018, 12:04:48 PM »

ethanz

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • 1DX II
    • my website
« Reply #142 on: May 22, 2018, 01:14:22 PM »
Canon is amazing in how many people it can irritate for not offering what they want, yet still get their money in the end.

Stupid Ca... pitalism
1DX II, 16-35L f/4 IS, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 200-400L f/4 IS w/1.4 EXT
http://ethanzentz.com/

TommyLee

• EOS 80D
« Reply #143 on: May 24, 2018, 12:06:08 PM »

ha!...
I tried to resist ... a full belly laugh ..on this one ....for 1 microsecond..
then..
I did it....

this place is very smart in questions and answers..
most of us are crazy here...sometimes...
I always listen for YOUR quiet .. comment .....
...from the far corner...

Informative and entertaining.. this FORUM is..

I ask...
............. I listen....I learn.... I laugh

thanks

Orangutan

« Reply #144 on: May 24, 2018, 09:45:39 PM »

Stupid Ca... pitalism
Brevity is the soul of wit!  Bravo, perfect reply!

CanonFanBoy

• Bipolar. When it is happening I don't realize it.
« Reply #145 on: June 04, 2018, 04:20:25 PM »

ha!...
then..
I did it....

this place is very smart in questions and answers..
most of us are crazy here...sometimes...
I always listen for YOUR quiet .. comment .....
...from the far corner...

Informative and entertaining.. this FORUM is..

I ask...
............. I listen....I learn.... I laugh

thanks

He is actually the funniest and one of the most astute on these boards in my opinion. Dry as heck, but in the best way possible. :)
5D Mark III, Canon EF 24-70 F/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L II, 135 f/2L, Streaklight 360ws, Flashpoint XPLOR 600PRO, 26x m42 screw mount lenses adapted to my DSLR. Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II, Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro

Orangutan

« Reply #146 on: June 04, 2018, 09:48:40 PM »

ha!...

He is actually the funniest and one of the most astute on these boards in my opinion. Dry as heck, but in the best way possible. :)

"Dry?" Neuro?  I do not think that word means what you think it means.  Oh, you mean "dry" like a sledgehammer.  Got it now!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #146 on: June 04, 2018, 09:48:40 PM »