OK...I have a 5DMarkIII running Firmware Version 1.2.1. I have never used Magic Lantern. I did spend about $3400 on my camera body (yes, I was an early adopter, but was able to sell my 5DMarkII for $2000 so I guess it evened out), and I do not want do ruin it as it is an expensive piece of hardware in my life.
1. Is ML easy to install and use?
2. Can I switch back and forth between ML and My Canon OS?
3. Can anyone direct me to a site where someone has solid experience and simple information (for dummies) on how to set your 5DMarkIII up and use the software to its fullest.
4. Have users destroyed their camera when installing of using this software.
Seems like there are a lot of benefits....but if I do something to the camera and it is not repairable ....I might have to kill myself.
1) It is not difficult to install Magic Lantern if you can follow the instructions. A simple Google search will show you a lot of tutorials, or you can go to EOSHD.com and buy the 5D Mark III ML RAW guide which will show you how to install and use ML. ML is easy to use, it's simple, but there are a lot of features that give you plenty of room to play around or use as tools.
2) The Canon OS is always running, but you can have a clean boot without ML by holding "SET" while starting the camera.
3) EOSHD.com if you want to pay for it or search, there are a lot of tutorials out there.
4) I have not heard of anyone destroying or bricking their camera as a result of ML, but you can search on Google to see for yourself. It is possible to have issues with some of the builds, but nothing that will break the camera. I use the nightly builds and I always test a build for 2-3 days before taking it out on a paid shoot. I only had one instance where ML wouldn't boot and the camera hung up, but it was related to the memory card. I put a different card in and had to rely on H.264 for the day.