Finally bought the 1D X, and will be putting it to the test later today. I just wanted to ask those that have one (or more) a few quick questions:
1) How long do you find the battery lasts when shooting sports with frequent long bursts etc. (shooting RAW only)?
Not sure about Raw, but shooting JPG the battery lasts 8000-10000 clicks going through most of the images on the preview screen. I only shoot bursts of 2 or 3, and shoot a lot of single click as well. But I preview almost every shot rather quickly in between competitors. This battery performance is similar to what I get on my Mark IV.
2) Are there any smaller battery rechargers available? (makes no difference if you do not travel, but it is pretty big if you do - though thankfully it is not heavy).
Not that I've heard of.
3) Has anyone run into any problems regarding the noise the camera makes when using it at sporting events, where noise is frowned upon?
I have used "Silent" mode on my Mark IV at Dance Competition during solos to a quiet song with success, but not yet on my 1DX. Try it (silent mode) out, and see what you think. At the expense of frame rate, silent mode dampens the shutter sound but does not elimiate it. I think I read the 5D Mark III is more silent in slient mode.
4) How long did it take you to get used to the different AF system/options? I will be testing it on the job later today and will probably keep changing settings though have decided to start with AF Point Expansion (Manual selection, surrounding points) and then switch between cases 1, 4 and 6.
I have a quarter of a million clicks on my 1DX and I'm still fine tuning. The AF is really really good. I never had complaints with my Mark IV but back to back the 1DX AF is very superior to the Mark IV. The 45 auto select works really good if your subject is not moving too fast. This never worked for me with any previous body.
5) Is it the fine tuning of those Cases that takes the most time to learn and perfect?
Yes, I use AF Point Expansion most of the time, and tweek the "Gymnastics/Dance" case settings along the way.
6) What CF card - in terms of read/write speeds - do you recommend? I have Lexar Pro 400Xs. Should I get faster to make the most out of the 1DX.
I've never run out of buffer with Sandisk 60x cards, but I'm shooting JPG, not RAW.
Really appreciate all your feedback. Thank you.