« on: July 15, 2014, 02:56:18 AM »
I finally got my M upon good advices from the members of this forum. Thanks. There are many excellent review on the M. Therefore I am trying not to repeat what has been done.
1. AF speed: This is the weak point for a few people. Coming from 40D and 20D. It is good enough for me even with the 22mm f2.0. It is definitely faster than most p & S. I do not shoot action or children anymore.
2. AF point selection: The touch screen does a better job than the dial on the 40D
3. CA correction: It tends to make the picture "less sharp". I would avoid it personally.
4. Printed owner's manual: not so good, sometimes confusing.
5. Controls (or the lack of it): I use the touch screen instead of the dial 95% of the time. After 4 days of playing around, I do not even miss the dual control dial and the joy stick on the 40D.
6. 90EX flash: small, cute, slow recycle and weak. However, when it teams up with the 22mm set at f2.0, it seems it can instant recycle at 10 ft.
7. 22mm lens: very sharp at center even wide opened. whole frome is sharp at 2.8 to 8.0
8. 18-55mm: sharp at center even wide open. corners get much better by stopping down one stop.
9. with 22mm lens, it will fit in my pants pocket and jacket pocket comfortably except the weight. I carry it with an old Rollie P& S film camera pouch on my belt. No original strap. A fabric hand strap is used for compactness.
10. Screen: may be a little bit hard to see at bright sun light. I have a Voigtlander 25mm view finder. With my glasses to force my eyes away from the view finder it gives me almost the same view as the 22mm lens on M. That helps.
It will replace my 40D with 17-40mm and 28-135mm as a travel camera. it will be a great weight saving.