« on: April 11, 2013, 11:12:04 AM »
My first new topic here.
I hope for some experienced advice based on my situation.
I am an all-round enthusiastic hobby photographer - doing people, landscape, still-life, animals (many small birds, very little BIF), music, architecture, travel, enter competitions now and then, etc.....
(Currently only stills. May want to take a look at video someday, but not key to me.)
Started out with Canon G5 (which I loved) in 2004.
Moved up to DSLR, EOS 450D = Rebel XSi (even more so) during 2008.
Have been ready for a body-upgrade several times - but seem to always buy some optics instead.
Current line-up (trying to do it in sequence of most used first): (All are Canon EOS)
- 15-85 / 70-200 4.0 IS / 24-105 4.0 / 10-22 / 50 1.4 / 100 macro 2.8 IS
I like DSLR.
I still like the 450D for size, low weight, reach (1.6 factor)
I most of all look for better:
- IQ and Lowlight capability
- Focusing (precision - maybe also more speed), consider AFMA a must have
Would also love:
- Flexible display (still miss that from G5 in many special shooting-situations)
- Wifi (for remote control and shooting)
- Even more reach (so still need for longer glass, I know)
- More effective operation (but would that be touch-screen, joy-stick, or ......?)
... all without having to haul too much weight and size.
I do have budget for quite a move - the most important is to make the right one.
I have followed this site - and other sources - for information about the key candidates regarding specs / features / price-levels etc. But have had no hands-on with any of these. So what I ask for is your advice based on real world experience.
My thoughts and questions:
- Must I go Full Frame (I see a lot of strong arguments for that - and also a few against)
- If FF then I like most of the characteristics of 6D - but focusing is clearly a concern
- I am concerned that the day after my purchase, I will se Canon announce the 'for me perfect compromise'
So some questions:
- What would you recommend in general in above situation?
- Will the 6D represent a large upgrade from 450D regarding focusing? How large?
- Could a new sensor (long awaited) in a new crop (e.g. 70D) be the 'for me perfect compromise'?
- Wait for announcements - or move now?
Look forward to your thoughts.