« on: August 14, 2012, 02:30:26 PM »
Greetings everyone! This is my first post on this forum although I've been a reader since the beginning of the year (2012). I've always loved the concept of photography but never had the budget to really get started until I ordered my first DSLR (T3i) in December of last year. I got my first camera on 01/04/2012 and have since "upgraded" to a 60D (for some of the features the T3i didn't have like Kelvin Temp WB, Small RAW file size, etc., and acquired a small collection of lenses. I would like to know what lenses others out there own, why they love/hate them, and how long they've been into such a great hobby/ profession. I realize it's a very broad forum topic and that everyone's lens needs are different.
My work background is in Audio Engineering. Music used to be my creative outlet but somewhere in the last 12 years, it has turned into more work than play and I am grateful to have found something just as fun in both a creative and technical way. I eventually want to explore the full frame world but read somewhere that building a collection of good glass should be a priority over purchasing camera bodies.
My questions for you all are:
1) What lenses do you own and why do you love/hate each of them?
2) How long have you been into photography?
3) Any random tips for a noob like myself?
There's no big reason for my questions. I'm just curious. Just geeking out on gear from one gear head to another =)
Here is a list of my lenses in order of purchase date. I know there is definitely some redundancy in my choices for purchases but sometimes you just wanna buy gear to buy gear. My business is doing well so I can afford to play a little.
1) 50mm 1.4: Thought i should get this after I purchased (and returned) the 50mm 1.8 (too loud when focusing, slow focus). My first experiences with smooth bokeh. I don't use this very much when I walk around but have used it for photo shoots with some of my artist. It's too tight for general use (for me) but works well for portraits.
2) 24-105mm L: love it's versatility. purchased after I realized how much I didn't like the 18-55mm kit lens. Can't wait to see what this feels like on a bigger sensor. I am starting to feel the low light limitations of my 60D at f/4 but by far my most used lens. So far it fairs pretty well in somewhat low light coffee house gigs. Owning this makes it hard to justify buying the 24-70 2.8 L II but I want one eventually.
3) 10-22mm: most of the "cool shot" comments I get are on pics taken from this lens @10mm. I love the distortion. It's fun to play with. Sometimes I feel like it's not very sharp but that could just be my technique. Overall, it's the lens I have the most FUN with but I can't wait to compare this to a 16-35 2.8L on a FF. Any thoughts on this comparison?
4) 35L: my favorite lens for use when doing little music videos for youtube with friends. First picture I took with it right out of the box BLEW me away. The colors were awesome. No flash needed. Just amazing. But for whatever reason, I don't use it as much as I expected myself to. Though this will stay in my kit forever or until it dies. I love the images I get. I initially purchased the Sigma 30mm 1.4 but It was front focusing like crazy and didn't want to deal with it so I decided to just go with the L.
5) 40mm pancake: just had to have it. My first "pre-ordered" lens. It's cute. Mainly purchased for long days of walking around Disneyland. (We're annual pass holders.) I strip my camera down to it's barebones minimum weight and it's like having a point and shoot (at least when compared to the weight of the body+grip+flash+24-105). I don't use it otherwise but eventually would like to get a T4i "for the wife" and take advantage of the STM for use as a second camera angle on the videos I shoot.
That's my list. I'd like to get a 100mm Macro IS or 180mm Macro, and a 70-200 f/2.8 IS II down the line but I think I want to purchase a 2nd flash first and play with multiple flash setups. OCF is also very fun. Looking forward to reading your replies! =) Good day to you all