just recently i got 35mm f2 IS. it is a bit disappointing that the images do not have a "pop" effect that i get from 24-70 Mk II. I am thinking of returning it and saving money for 35L MkII or some other lens. Can anyone share experience with this lens?
The images from the 35mm f/2 IS USM are fantastic, however they do not have the color rendering and microcontrast of lenses like the 24-70 f/2.8L II
BUT consider vs the 24-70L,
1. The 35mm f/2 IS lets in significantly more light than the 24-70
2. The 35mm f/2 IS is small, making it the best "portable" lens Canon makes IMO
3. The Image Stabilization can come in use in some scenarios
And vs the current 35L:
1. With its curved aperture blades the 35mm has superior bokeh at f/2 on compared to the 35mm f/1.4L which has ugly angular bokeh highlights due to its straight aperture blades.
2. The 35L will be replaced likely sometime in the next 1-3 years (but who knows exactly when)
3. The 35L and its eventual successor will remain much larger and heavier than the 35mm f/2 IS
So in summary, the 35 IS performs great even if not 100% as stunning as some of the most expensive L lenses. Still, due to its other qualities the 35 IS remains a spectacular lens in your arsenal if you want the best quality portable walk around lens Canon makes.