... The 7D owners expect a certain level of durability with the 7DII, but having wifi and gps or touchscreen appeals to more people than a camera that lacks basic features. Most people don't need an indestructible body but just a solid, well built one. The inclusion of wifi and touch screen won't hurt that.
I think Canon is f***ing stupid if that is true.
Exactly why I bought the original 7D on the first day it became available.
* VERY GOOD image quality (class-leading at the time!)
* VERY DECENT build quality (on-par with Nikon / D300/s; and still very good by today's standards; the few who really need more, should buy 1D series)
* DECENT FEATURE SET (including pop-up flash working as wireless commander; only Auto-ISO was sub-par already back in 2009)
* VERY GOOD AF (at the time),
* EXCELLENT Controls / User Interface
* and equally important: SENSIBLE PRICE
For those very reasons the 7D was a major win for Canon. I fully expect Canon to deliver again, after having taken more than two regular development cycles to come up with the successor.
In 2014 this would translate into the following
* best IQ of any APS-C on the market today ... bar none ... and on all counts: resoultion, low-ISO noise/banding, Hi-ISO noise/banding ... and DR ... and highest DXO score ever recorded for an APS-C camera ;-)
* 9+ fps plus top-notch AF system -> not just some form of live-view dual-pixel-AF ... but rather: speed, precision, tracking performance at LEAST as good as 5D III
* class-leading feature set, of course including WiFi, GPS and RT-radio flash commander. THEN they may dispose of the pop-up flash.
* OUTSTANDING controls/user interface ... including fully articulated RETINA TOUCH LCD with gorilla glass ... on par at least with iPhone 5, if not 6. ANd AUto-ISO implementation as good as 1DX or even better: as on Nikon D800
* DECENT price: MAX. USD/€ 2299,- at launch, street price quickly dropping to 1999,- for X-Mas/season sales
Should Canon fail to deliver on just one of these counts for the 7D successor, it will not sell in numbers. :-)