I am confused - some are speculating the cost will be $2500. Mark III is now selling for $150 less than MSRP. If you are already shelling out $2500 bucks, wouldn't the marginal dollar difference work towards just getting the Mark III now and not having to wait half a year for a stripped down full frame?
I have an old Rebal Xsi and happened on this site when I wanted to learn more about my upgrade options. I have waited for several months and I prefer to stay under $1K. I am not happy with the t4i but still waiting to see how the mirrorless camera shoots video.
On the other hand, I am thinking of getting a man purse and just going with the EOS-M.
I think I started the $2500 thing - here is my thinking. It would seem unlikely that Canon would sell a 'better' camera than the 5dMKII for less money. We haven't seen any direct successors coming out cheaper than their replacements in quite a while. So, they could further drop the price of the MKII to take that price slot over and therefore allow the successor to come in at the same price point. Or, they could reduce the spec of the camera in a meaningful way to make the new price point make sense (plastic body?...what else could give?). Or, they could introdue a slightly better successor at a higher price, say $2500.
I'm purely speculating that the spec list shown seems too good to be true at $2000. So in my hypothesis either the price is higher or there is something else that must give in the overall package to hit the price point. Pure speculation. I actually hope I'm wrong. $2000 I can swing as a hobbyist (I've been saving for 3 years). Much more and I'll have to wait until its used for that price.