You definitely missed something. I said Mark I, not II.
Wupps, sorry, I misread this. Actually I just grabbed your post as a random example of people predicting the 24-70 II as "the lens", I just happened to quote the wrong one :-p
Most CRs members believe mrk II going to be "THE LENS" because of MTF chart, not because of the expensive price tag.
Neither you nor me can say what "most cr members" believe, but I have the definite impression that the high price tag contributes to the high expectations. Unless I read the first real reviews of the final product, I don't rely on any mtf charts (that were made before the lens was delayed and modified, mind you) to make it into every real world lens after qc.
What about when you buy NEW car, do you rely on manufacture est. mpg? or medicine?There are 12 stages(I'll list 8 here) in designing new product:
1. Wish List spec+ features - usually come from marketing team
2. Design & protoype to wish list. reviews and approves by marketing
3. Beta build: minor adjustment usually improvment, build prototype near production level(where you get your MTF chart)
4. Reviews & collects feedbacks from trusted users(not public yet)
5. Final review + very minor chance(s), almost no chance in hardware
6. Pilot build: 99.5% production level, dealers get to play at this level
7. Production build
8. If build by 3rd party, price quote will be sent out to qualified contractors