Second half of 2014 with an emphasis on video? The Panasonic GH4 is coming out in the first half of 2014...with 4K/30p video.
This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.
Ok, the EOS M Pro - when it gets released, if ever.
I'll be all over it, and the M->EF adaptor.
For one thing, in the USA there is no way that an end to launched at $800 could compete with the current M priced $500 cheaper. There seem to be quite a few of those in retail channels right now.
I'll bet Canon USA is annoyed, unless they can get them on store shelves within a week or so.
My assumption is that Canon (as many other large corporations) believes in statistics when it takes market decisions.
And judging by CIPA statistics primary mirrorless market is Japan (and Asia) where mirrorless hold about ~ 35% of "interchangeable lens cameras" market (the rest are DSLRs ~ 65%).
In Americas mirrorless is only 8-10% while DSLRs hold whole 90-92%.
So, what you see as "EOS M" and "EOS M2" are tiny cameras with minimalistic design that are targeted for Japan (in first place).
It's just like with the cars: if you are from USA you are supposed to drive Nissan Patrol, not Nissan Micra (and shoot with EOS 1D X + at least some EF 400 from its window... )
I don't understand why everybody is clamouring for new M lenses. The three they make are very good and cover 99.9% of the type of shots that most M's are used for, personally, I don't want a second lens collection for my compact camera, that makes it not compact! I was sold on the fact that I can take an M with me traveling, I have a small camera for casual shots and I have the EF convertor so I could use it as backup with the EF lenses I am already carrying.
If the EOS 6D Mark II went mirrorless than that would be pointless without a mount change and new lens lineup.
Putting an EF mount on a mirrorless camera adds a ridiculous amount of bulk which defeats the whole point of a mirrorless setup but to call it a 6D Mark II would make no sense to change mounts going from the Mk I -> Mk II.
The sony E mount makes sense because it has a 18mm flange distance vs 44mm for the EF mount.