« on: April 16, 2012, 03:25:22 AM »
With my limited budget, I'd be be not very happy if I get a 35L that has been in production for quite a long time the day before the 35L2 is announced. If I knew there was an "update" coming, I'd rather wait and buy an used 35L1 for a lower price - so please sell it once the new version arrives, will you :-p ?Well that is just it, the price probably won't drop that much. The 35 1.4L "I" goes anywhere between AU$1300-2000 and it is widely expected that the 35 1.4L "II" will go for AU$2300-2500+. Without major improvement, this will actually probably make the price of old-stock 35 1.4L "I" increase to or at least hold ground at an average ~$1500 as everyone rushes to it before it is sold out. Look at the 5D Mark II running alongside Mark III - it has barely shifted price and in some stores actually increased as people have mass-bought, thinking it good value compared to the 5D Mark III which, in the same way lenses do, will hold at MSRP/RRP for a considerable length of time.
Imho the one thing that does justify an "update" is a sturdier construction and weather sealing - the latter should go without saying with any lens costing 1000+ bucks because missing weather sealing (as well as a plastic body, see 100L) threatens the investment under harsh conditions.Indeed, can't argue with you here - weather-sealing would indeed be welcome. It isn't so much an issue all the time, but the last thing you want is some water creeping in to your $1000+ lens. Ouch. So, short answer, if you want me to sell you my 35 1.4L, call Canon JP and ask to speak to the weather-sealing department. If that fails, wait for it to rain and I will sell you it as a lens cup, pre-filled with fresh rainwater.