« on: January 16, 2013, 03:11:19 PM »
1) Should I never change the lens when out in the cold?
2) Should I never change a filter when I'm out in the cold? (I often yank the UV in favor of a CPL depending on the sky, what I'm shooting, etc.)
3) I seem to recall there was a concern bringing in cold and/or externally damp gear into a warm place (like my cabin) -- something associated with condensation inside the lens as it equilibrates to temperature. Should I ziplock bag my gear before I bring it into a warm indoors location?
4) My tripod is carbon fiber, and it will most certainly get cold and wet. Do I need to take any precautions to using it in such conditions?
1) No, go ahead and change lenses all you like.
2) Ditto for filters. Just be careful not to drop them or they'll disappear in the snow.
3) Yes ziploc-ing your gear is a good idea in such conditions
4) I wouldn't worry about it, it'll be fine.
Have fun, enjoy, go shoot. Your camera will work just fine. I have shot a 300D, 400D, 20D and 7D all day in 10F (and MUCH colder) without issues.