Yip NO "swively thingy" for me, it could be a deal breaker--I want mag alloy and weather sealing. I think it is pretty clear that Canon will not add a flip screen to metal WS bodies. Canon, these are still "still" cameras first, video is secondary. And don't turn it into a FF 60D (no offense 60D users) with plastic, swivel screen, and no AFMA? Unfortunately, I do think the new "entry" FF will be plastic, and with swivel screen, but not sure about no AFMA.
I think you are not the only one who thinks it could be a deal breaker - I mean no mag-alloy body with some partial sealing (like 50D). In OP there was info/rumor - design closer to 7D than 5D3 (smaller and with flash)
- so from this info I assume 7D-like body, so without flip-swivel-rotating screen.
As for now Canon does not implement flip screen into thougher and (at least partially) sealed bodies (1D, 7D and 5D series).
I think that 70D gets swivel screen with touch, new sensor with phase AF, 6-8 fps (depends on how 7D Mk II specs would be like) and better AF (probably from 7D). 7D Mk II could have same sensor as 70D with 61-point AF, 10 fps, mag-alloy body with fixed screen.
From my point of view
- needs true replacement for 5D Mk II as FF for enthusiasts
- price it similarly to 5D Mk II - so around 2000 USD
- should make it like "more then 5D Mk II" but "less then 5D Mk III" - less fps (around 4), smaller buffer, lower ISO range (to 51200/102 400 as max expanded) etc - basicly not to cut form 7D and 5D Mk III sales
- should make it with better AF then 5D Mk II but not 61-point - 7D-like AF or 31-point with 9 cross-type
- should make it from mag-alloy with some sort of sealing - 5D Mk II-like
This kind of body should give them enough difference from 7D and 5D Mk III. Some of current 5D Mk II users might upgrade, some of 7D users would like it as a second body, some of 5D Mk III could buy it as a backup, it would attract 60D/xxxD and xxxxD users. For me - winner for Canon.
Sure, natural way of upgrade is 5D-5D Mk II-5D Mk III - but Canon will get your money on lenses and accessories
And some of us does not have 3300+ USD to splash on upgrade. Someone could thing like "Id rather buy 2000 USD body and one L lens"...just my thoughts