next month I'm off for a vacation road trip with my girlfriend through Arizona to Santa Fe, NM and I'd love some gear and sightseeing advice.
- Unlike past trips where I could carve out some solo photography time and shoot some landscapes or macro work, we'll be together for almost all of the trip. So the big GuraGear bag is staying at home and I'm planning on bringing a more modest kit.
- On vaca, I shoot a little bit of everything -- walkabout, street, hiking, landscapes and macro. 95% of the time, I'm an available light shooter.
- The full gamut of temperature we'll see could run from 15F to 60F. So there will be plenty of large temp transitions where my gear will jump into and out of the cold.
- We'll be staying in hotels -- no need to plan for overnights outdoors.
I have two burning questions:
1) If you've been to or live near the Flagstaff - Albuquerque - Santa Fe neck of the woods, what are the must-sees or must-dos? I don't just mean great vistas for photography -- what's fun to see, do, or experience out there? If it helps, we are in our 30s and we're into food, beer, hiking (medium level, day-hikes only), art, film, music, history, local culture, and odd places.
2) Of all my gear (listed below) -- and considering the four bullet points up top -- what would you bring and why? My gut (just off the cuff) is on bringing the bold
- 28 f/2.8 IS
- 40 f/2.8
- 50 f/1.4
- 100 f/2.8L IS
- 16-35 f/4L IS
- 24-70 f/4L IS
- 70-200 f/2.8 IS II
- 90EX Speedlite (tiny emergency flash if the need arises, works fine on the 5D3 with standard FLs)
- 600EX-RT Speedlite
- Tripod, ball head, cable release, sand bag, etc. (Small Gitzo traveler (1542T) and an Arca head (z1/dp)
- Standard filters - UV, CPL, etc.
- Landscape filters - Lee 100 system, ND grads, Big Stopper, 105 CPL, etc.
- Ziplocks and desiccant for coming from the cold
- Batteries, chargers, yadda yadda
- Rain covers
As always, I appreciate the advice -- you folks have been gold on prior trips.