« on: November 15, 2014, 05:24:54 PM »
Finally made the upgrade!
1st impressions, having only shot test images indoors -
- Nice feel to this camera, handles much like a 5D. Pairs with the 5D3 very well.
- Loving the expanded customization abilities of this camera. Particularly the expanded "My Menu" option and the ability to customize entire tabs...awesome.
- 65 pt AF spread has very good coverage of the frame.
- Tested it with 2 lenses - the 70-300L and 24-70 4 IS. The 70-300 was basically good to go, but the 24-70 front-focused significantly esp. at the wide end. An on-the-fly AF adjustment helped a little (I don't have the advanced tools that many other forum members do to get it completely right).
- AF accuracy - can't speak too much to this, as my ability to test was limited...but I can say it's much more consistent than the original 7D. Not perfect, of course, but you can re-focus and take the same shot over and over and have confidence that the shot will be of acceptable sharpness. (Wasn't the case with the original 7D, which was all OVER the place). Servo accuracy seemed a little better, but again, since I have nothing moving I had to move myself. Not the ideal way to test, so more on this later.
- Focusing: Also impressed by the camera's ability to focus in dark conditions, even in Servo mode. This is probably the biggest improvement over the original 7D in my opinion, since that was its #1 weak spot.
- High ISO performance - it's one thing to see test images online, but when you actually pick up and use this camera in your own lighting condition, it tells you so much more. Don't expect the performance of the 5D3/6D but it's a SIGNIFICANT improvement over the 7D - and not just in noise AMOUNT, but in noise QUALITY. Grain appears much finer with no "blotchiness" and significantly fewer "colored pixels" (although they're still there if you look for them). Best high ISO performance I've seen from a crop camera to date. 3200 is good (I set the Auto ISO limit here, as on the original 7D), and for the first time on crop, I find 6400 to be actually usable! Probably would hesitate to push beyond 6400, although I did test all the way to 16,000 and if one really needed the light, at least the files clean up nicely. I underexposed some 3200 shots and attempted to boost it up 1+ stops - much more flexibility in the files, but still not at the level of FF. Overall, if this is the best they could do, I'm happy.
Great camera so far, I like it.