Lots of tourist coming to AZ, we like the revenue
A few more suggestions for those in the Grand Canyon vicinity:
- Walnut Canyon National Monument - cliff dwellings in side of mountain and steep canyon, cool easy all paved hike, few miles east of Flagstaff
- Wupatki National Monument - high desert Indian dwellings, about 25 miles N of Flagstaff
- Sunset Crater National Monument - Ancient volcanic activity, a few miles N of Flagstaff (you can do Wupatki and Sunset together in the same driving loop)
- Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon - just south of Flagstaff, my favorite route is to take old highway 89 down into the canyon from Flagstaff
- From Sedona, head south west to Jerome an old mining town. Jerome is the most vertical town in the country. Main street zig zags up a mountain.
Don't want to come across as a tourism promotion but, lots of wonderful photography opportunities.
PS, might be cheapest to buy annual NP pass to cover all parks and monuments.