Hello to everyone. I´m not trying to make a point in this reply, but just give you my humild opinion. I own a 5D markIII and i use it a lot, and i mean...a lot! I´m a professional photographer, mostly wildlife photographer, but i also have to do some marriage services, product photography and comercial (mostly for websites, not big prints). Well, like we use to say...Europe is in crysis and we just need to make what money want´s you to make. This is just important to tell you that I trully need a super versatile camera, although, i have a Canon 7D markII for 70% of the wildlife work, but when light come down, 5D is the answer.
And what a superb peace of machine the MkIII is...!! Very often i push her to the limits and never, ever makes me feel bad , or failed. Ever. So when i read someone say that is going to leave DSLR and 5D markIII for a mirrorless....I just think it is foolish...you´re about to switch from a camera that is remarcable confort in hands, to a camera that feels weird in the hands (Sony mirorless). You switch from a camera that gives you about 800 shots/900 in batery life, for a camera that gives you about 200 shots! Really?? Do you imagine taking pictures in a wedding with this? I sooht easily about 1500 shots in a wedding. Thats what? 7 batterys? Reaally? No..not for me! You switch from a camera tha have a remarcable AF sistem for one camera that have a poor af sistem? Then if you gor for the new A7R II We´re talking of 4000€, and the 5D markIII is selling at 2500€. (Prices in euros sorry.)
And for what? Because someone say to you that Sony is better in DR? Because it records in 4K?
Just in minor situations DR of Canon get´s me concerned....but believe me, you get the shot well done, you get that shot, and no one really be concerned in DR!
Despite what i said, i really like that the new MkIV would give some good improvement in DR. If it makes me loose my mind? Hell no!
About the video....well....everybody has a point here...It would do no harm if 4K is there...but i think stills photographers do not care if it isn´t, because the full HD wiil do good for their purposes of some pontual films. If they can make a cheaper machine without the 4k, please Canon, leave 4K behind!! If Canon can make more imporvements on Stills, please, leave 4K behind. If i want a camera to film 4K i definitly have a lot of options in the market. People always seek for something that gives you all for the small price.
Well, but for me no issue in this. Photography cameras ARE for Photography. Video cameras, ARE for video. Period. Buy a 5d markIII and a Sony A7S, or a Canon C300. Too expensive? Well...you have to decide whats important to you.
What i would live to see in new camera:
- Built in timelapse/intervalometer (like 7D markII ou 5D S)
- Dinamic range improvement (Nikon and Sony are better - 5DS is reaally better and aproaches Nikon and Sony)
- Buffer capability improved. (better Raw recording preformance)
- More MP´s - About 30 MPs (this one is related to the nex one)
- Improvement in High ISO capability - Ok, i ask for more MP´s so in theory, more MP´s less high iso performance. (Well, if Nikon has it in the Nikon D810 with 36 mp´s why can´t we have it in Canon! And the Nikon D810 is about the same price of the MKIII
- Better info sistem in viewfinder.
- Focus peaking - Come on Canon, you can do this in your machines with no problem!!
- Slightly better AF performance in cross type af points
- Improvement in digic processor. - Just for give even more fast AF
- Well...surprise me and I´ll buy the machine!!
Sorry for some errors in writting!!
Get ready to buy. Most of your wishes will come true.