September 21, 2014, 02:41:44 AM

Author Topic: What am I getting out of my upgrade?  (Read 8112 times)

stealthscrape

What am I getting out of my upgrade?
« on: May 15, 2011, 10:58:43 PM »
Hi everyone, I've been reading this site since around Dec of last year and thought I would join for a pretty beginner sounding question. I've had my Rebel XTi 10.1 MP since 2006 or 2007 and have loved it. I got it as a beginner DSLR so that I could become familiar with everything. I have been expanding my equipment and am ready to get a new camera. I am still happy with my XTi for the most part (especially with my 50 1.2L and my 70-300), but I feel like it is lacking somewhere, though I can't quite figure out what it is. I am either upgrading to a 7D or a 60D.

I've done a lot of research on all of them and I know this may sound like a real beginner question, but in laymen's terms, what am I getting out of my upgrade. For example, I know I will be getting a 9 point or a 19 point auto focus, but what does that equate to for me and my photos? I know I'm going from a DIGIC 2 to a DIGIC 4, but what's that giving me? Basically I know all of the technical specs and all of that. I just want to know what it all comes out to and that I will be getting what I feel like I'm missing so I can justify upgrading and know that it is really time. Thanks for any help you can offer, and thanks for all of the info I've already gotten from you guys from reading your threads these past few months.

canon rumors FORUM

What am I getting out of my upgrade?
« on: May 15, 2011, 10:58:43 PM »

ronderick

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: What am I getting out of my upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 11:21:08 PM »
Stealthscrape, I think you will definitely benefit from either a 7D or a 60D.

To start off, I think you'll get more in terms of ISO improvements (more options in low-light situations - u'll be impressed what the 50 f/1.2L can do with these bodies...).

Of course, both cameras also allow you to take videos.

I'll let others fill in the rest...
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

thejoyofsobe

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 01:23:43 AM »
size/weight along with the fps of the Rebel XTi would drive me nuts.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 01:39:41 AM »

Hate to sound like an analyst, but until you identify what is "lacking," your search for fulfillment will be futile. New cameras are always nice, at least for a while.

I am still happy with my XTi for the most part (especially with my 50 1.2L and my 70-300), but I feel like it is lacking somewhere, though I can't quite figure out what it is.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Fleetie

• Canon 70D
  • Watching for pigs on the wing
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 02:32:07 AM »
Well the 7D is a lovely camera to use. Sure, it's "only" 18MP, i.e. no more than the 60D or the 600D, but using it feels like luxury.

It feels VERY snappy and responsive. You press that button and your pic gets taken right then, provided you had focus confirmed with your half-press beforehand. It can do up to 8FPS, so even in single-shot mode, it will be ready for the next shot before you are ready to press the shutter button again. And you can keep on and on pressing as fast as you like and it'll keep up.

Its build quality is excellent. Once you've used a 7D, I don't think you'll want to go back to the x00D (e.g. 600D etc.) models. (Admittedly, I have never used a 60D, so I can't comment on that, but the 60D lacks AF microadjust, which seems to me a really bad thing, and I suspect that it would be a very bad thing for you, given that you have the 50/1.2 lens, which obviously will have a VERY thin depth of field wide-open.)

I really suggest that, having that 50/1.2 lens, you should be looking at a camera to do it justice, i.e. the 7D.

You will not regret it. (Your wallet might, but if you have the 50/1.2, it suggests that you're not on too tight a budget.)

Oh, and the DIGIC4 vs. DIGIC2 thing? The more powerful processor is what drives the camera to be so fast and responsive, and give you your up-to-8FPS maximum shooting rate. It also speeds up the in-camera noise reduction that gets applied to images if you're shooting at high ISO or with long exposures. The 7D has TWO DIGIC4 processors to really give it some throughput.

Hope this helps,

Martin
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 02:39:02 AM by Fleetie »
Canon 5D3  ,  70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II ,  24-105mm f/4 L IS  ,  50mm f/1.4  ,  85mm f/1.8 ,  EF 2x III
Olympus OM2-SP , 50mm f/1.2 , 55mm f/1.2 , 50mm f/1.4 Silvernose , 135mm f/2.8 , 28mm f/2.8

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 12:06:31 PM »
It really doesn't sound like you are missing anything.  If youu identify something you need, then thats the time to buy. 

The newer cameras have sensor upgrades, a 7D is larger, heavier, and better built, and you get video if thats your thing.

For me, liveview was the reason I bought a 40D when they were first announced, because it saved me a ton of time and work with in-studio product photography.  Another feature I use is AF microadjust.  You already have it on the XTi, its a mechanical set screw that adjusts the position of the sub-mirror.  I had to adjust my XTi and then focus was perfect.

I gave my XTi to my daughter, and she still uses it and loves it.

steven63

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 01:33:55 PM »

One thing you didn't mention is where your passion lies.  It would be helpful to know what type of shots you prefer to take so that we can help you determine what you would get out of your upgrade.  Sports? casual settings/portraits? Will you be using it in bad weather?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 01:33:55 PM »

sb

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 03:11:23 PM »
stealthscrape, the difference between XTi and 7D will be night and day. I own XTi, 7D and 5D Mark II bodies, and I can tell you that the 7D is in a lot of ways a better camera than 5DMK2 even (except for noise levels).

But back to your question - this is what you'd be gaining:

- Low light performance which is simply orders of magnitude better than XTi. You'll be shooting at ISO1600 when you need to and you won't even think twice. With XTi, I would cringe every time I needed to shoot at ISO 400.

- Autofocus system which makes XTi look like a joke. It's not just the number of focus points (to be honest with you, I use 3 focus points 99% of the time anyway) but it's the speed and precision with which it focuses.

- Construction quality which simply can't be compared with plastic XTi toy body. Simply holding the 7D will motivate you to push yourself and get better.

- 8fps is more than I'll ever need, but if you want to shoot sports, you'll be happy you have it

-1080p video! You'll never want a camcorder after you see what 7D does with your 50mm f/1.2

- I won't even talk about megapixels because they are far less important than spec sheets would have you believe. This alone should never be a reason for an upgrade.

- You can use 7D's built in flash as a slave trigger for external speedlight flashes. This in itself is HUGE for creative options. I wish 5DMK2 had this.

- High resolution screen which is actually useful for telling whether the picture is in focus or not before uploading to computer. XTi's screen is useless.

- Live view is useful if you do product/tripod photography

The list goes on

endigo

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 03:39:49 PM »
I am still happy with my XTi for the most part (especially with my 50 1.2L and my 70-300), but I feel like it is lacking somewhere, though I can't quite figure out what it is. I am either upgrading to a 7D or a 60D.

I am also still using my XTi and I am still getting great pictures from it. In the last year I have had the opportunity to use someone else's camera that has Live View. I found this to be a fantastic feature because you can frame the picture then digitally zoom in to just the eyes and get the focus perfect. I am ready to upgrade for this feature alone.

Other features include video less grain at high ISOs.

As for myself, I want to see what the 5D Mark III is going to bring, I will then decide between the 5D Mark III and 7D. Either way, I will probably keep my XTi as a backup camera.

stealthscrape

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 04:28:53 PM »
Thanks for all of the responses and sorry it took so long to get back. I've had a lot going on.

First of, I use my camera for a variety of stuff. Mostly portraits of my kids, indoors and outdoors. I like landscapes and various outdoors things, mostly involving water/relections. I like low light, evening/dusk, but I also like mid day shots. I know for landscapes and such, full frame is the way to go, but I feel like that is a bit much for me.

I think what I'm looking for is something that is faster a cleaner. I want faster focus, better low light, higher percentage of sharp, clean shots. I feel like a lot of my images turn out darker than they seem. (I mess with settings a lot and use everything from P-mode to Tv, Av, and M. Never the preset options anymore now though.) Video would be a much welcomed addition, but not the reason I am upgrading. I want a bigger brighter review screen. Live view. And I would really like the ability to fire a flash externally without a transceiver attached. So, I guess that's what I feel like I'm lacking and it seems like these cameras offer me a lot of those things. Thanks again.

Flake

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 09:34:52 AM »
One thing you do get with the 7D & not the 60D is the microadjust for lenses.  With the 50mm f/1.2 it's especially important when you have such a small depth of field, that the autofocus is placing it in the right place, that might perhaps be what you're lacking?  Shots which are slightly out of focus have a soft appearance which might be what you're describing?

As for faster focus well the 50mm f/1.2 is known for its slow focus, dunno which 70-300mm you have, but the ultrasonic lenses will make the biggest difference at this level.  1D bodies seem to focus more quickly than the others.

Firing a flash externally is built into the 7D and you can still buy an ST-E2 for £70 (Yongnuo)

Full frame is the way to go?  I'm not so sure!  There are some very good wide angle lenses for crop frame cameras, and the differences between crop & full is beomming harder & harder to see.  Digital technology has now progressed to the point where the law of diminishing returns is really biting.  You pay an awful lot more for not a lot more improvement in image quality.  The problem now is in choosing the features you need, and the 7D has a lot which the 5D MkII doesn't.

Bruce Photography

• EOS M2
  • Landscapes, 5DX,7D,60D,EOSM,D800/E,D810,D7100
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 03:59:12 AM »
I'm assuming that your 70-300 is the "L" version.  If it is, isn't it great!.  I have a 50D, 5DMKII and a 7D but not the 60D.  If you already own some fine "L" lenses, why not consider the advantage of the 21MP of a full frame camera.  The lower noise level on the 5DMIII compared to the 7D is amazing.  I'm a person that does large prints and the quality difference really shows for large prints (17x25 and up).  If you are not currently producing large prints, consider that the images that you capture today with a full frame camera would have the quality of "Someday" making some truely fine large prints in the future.  The current price difference between the 7D and the 5DMKII is less than $1,000 but since you are already in the "L" quality level, why not go all the way unless you wanted to wait for what the rest of us are waiting for.  But who knows when that will come.....

alipaulphotography

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 04:15:00 AM »
Image quality wise at low ISO - There will be no 'noticeable' difference.

That was the real deal for me - an upgrade from the 450D would need better image quality as well as the other features - as that is what a camera is for in the end, to take great looking images.
I wanted low light performance, low noise at high ISO, shallow depth of field and my lenses to actually be in there focal length! Sick of multiplying by 1.6!
I needed to go full frame - cheapest way to do that was an old 5D. Great camera and I'm very happy.

All depends on how you want your camera to improve.
fps?
Lower noise?
Better feel?
Better autofocus?

All up to you.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 04:15:00 AM »

zerotiu

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 05:45:37 AM »
I've tested my t2i with 60d and 7d.
If you compare with 60d, you will get only a better grip and better menu adjusting (changing iso-aperture-etc).

But if I compare it with 7d. I'll get a better ISO handling, better grip, fast 19 AF, vivid color. Hey, if you've had enough experience, why don't you consider buying a fullframe one (I always suggest this  :-X)

Radiating

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 06:02:10 AM »
Hi everyone, I've been reading this site since around Dec of last year and thought I would join for a pretty beginner sounding question. I've had my Rebel XTi 10.1 MP since 2006 or 2007 and have loved it. I got it as a beginner DSLR so that I could become familiar with everything. I have been expanding my equipment and am ready to get a new camera. I am still happy with my XTi for the most part (especially with my 50 1.2L and my 70-300), but I feel like it is lacking somewhere, though I can't quite figure out what it is. I am either upgrading to a 7D or a 60D.

I've done a lot of research on all of them and I know this may sound like a real beginner question, but in laymen's terms, what am I getting out of my upgrade. For example, I know I will be getting a 9 point or a 19 point auto focus,

Basically you're going to be able to focus instantly on almost anything. Your camera now will struggle in even the most basic situation. That's the difference. You'll be able to track a bird flying a few dozen feet above your head instead of having issues taking a portrait. Your focus accuracy will also increase to near perfection.

[quotebut what does that equate to for me and my photos? I know I'm going from a DIGIC 2 to a DIGIC 4, but what's that giving me? [/quote]

You'll have noticably less noise in your jpgs and be able to shoot multiple photos in machine gun like succession instead of getting bogged down all the time.

Basically I know all of the technical specs and all of that. I just want to know what it all comes out to and that I will be getting what I feel like I'm missing so I can justify upgrading and know that it is really time. Thanks for any help you can offer, and thanks for all of the info I've already gotten from you guys from reading your threads these past few months.

It all depends on your style of shooting. Keep in mind that with the 7D you also get amazing weather sealing to the point that you can shoot with the right lens in the rain and a big jump in megapixels and noise, which really increases your flexibility in cropping and low light.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 06:02:10 AM »