October 24, 2014, 03:13:58 AM

Author Topic: Big Megapixel Talk [CR2]  (Read 17009 times)

And-Rew

Re: Big Megapixel Talk [CR2]
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2012, 05:50:26 AM »
On a serious note- I know we all like a nice rumor and to imagine what we can get in the future- but are the 5DIII/1Dx/1DsIII so bad that the Canon shooters who need high megapixels are out of work until the 46MP comes out?

I really like this statement, it reveals a lot about what photographers need, want and dream about.
I love my 5dmkiii, it may not be perfect in any one way, but it's perfect for its versatility in all the different ways I use it. It rarely leaves me wanting anything else. I am currently in a situation where I need to invest in a proper system for high-res art reproduction; in other words, Medium Format.

After doing some tests with Hasselblad H4D 50(not multi-shot) and Nikon D800, I was completely convinced DSLRs could soon match or exceed medium format, especially if lenses improve and 16bit color is a part (as was once rumored about the new 1D-S, or whatever you want to call it.)
I saw that the H4D was obviously better in two aspects: transitions/handling of highlights and color. The Nikon kicked ass in high iso and darks; basically handling noise.
The resolution is different but I wouldn't dare say it's all that important of a difference. The Nikon has actually exceeded MF in some ways, it is a brilliant new camera. But it still misses on a couple things, and it really just comes down to color.

The 1D-S is a very interesting prospect if it can traverse both of those cameras. It would be one more step closer to best of both worlds. Even if it had maximum usable iso of 1600 out of 3200, that means a lot more versatility than MF. With 16bit it would also challenge MF's color, which is the ONLY reason I am considering buying one for art reproduction. If my clients were ok having almost-perfect color, I'd get the Nikon, I would save a lot. But almost-perfect isn't enough,
so if Canon were to have a high MP, 16bit camera for 9000, I would be more than happy to get it (assuming it would actually be as good).
That's why, for me, this rumor is interesting. It could save me 10,000+ in the end, but I guess one can only dream...

I think for most, pros or amateurs, the cameras that are available today are more than capable and better than we ever thought possible, but every time something new or special comes along, we see opportunity and are inspired. So although I don't think anyone is out of work without the camera, a lot of new exciting work will be created once it is available.

+1

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2012, 05:50:26 AM »

Cannon Man

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2012, 07:56:44 AM »
It's funny reading all there complaints about Canon.
When in reality all professional gear Canon has in production are great.
And if you think something is missing it will come in time. Don't loose your pants yet.

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2012, 08:15:05 AM »
"Has Canon really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like about the new sensors yet?" - I assumed that it means: "Has Canon really decided to use the old sensors instead of looking for the new ones?"

Considering the expected price tag of the 1ds imho the really interesting question for the rest of us is...

Will Canon new release new crop-cameras with really new sensor tech in 2013, or will they resort to the usual updates (70d=60d with touchscreen, af detect pixels & afma, 700d=650d with built-in cappuccino maker) and we'll have to wait much longer to see the new sensor tech of the 1ds trickle down to consumer grade bodies?

If they come up with an aps-c update with 1-2 usable iso steps more (like a 100% usable iso1600), this might obsolete the need for some folks to buy a ff - so it might not be in Canon's best interested, since they ignore the Nikon competition anyway. In the future ff will offer more mp, but currently it's just about iso noise.

I think, that there is always a market for aps-c just because of the lenses reach, almost no matter how worse the ISO there will be. Referring to your original question: "Will Canon new release new crop-cameras with really new sensor tech in 2013, or will they resort to the usual updates" I'd say: Canon new release new crop-cameras with really new sensor tech in 2013 will appear in 2015 :D Or what we see now is in fact their "really new sensor tech" and in 2015 we will see, what we would have been expecting in 2013 :D *)

*) Sorry if the tenses were not properly used in the last sentence (*):)(*)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 08:21:57 AM by marekjoz »
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

motorhead

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2012, 09:32:25 AM »
Until the real announcement and from there something in between 1-3 years until it starts shipping. You will eventually hold it in your hands in about 5 years.

Thats fine, I can live with that timescale, by which time we all be spending £9k on a camera without even blinking.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2012, 12:45:05 PM »
It's funny reading all there complaints about Canon.
When in reality all professional gear Canon has in production are great.
Is Canon still hiring in viral marketing :-p ?

And if you think something is missing it will come in time. Don't loose your pants yet.
I think you got it mixed up: The people "complaining" are not the ones who just bought a 1dx or a 5d3 but those who think Canon is way too expensive and/or lacking features below $3500 in comparison either to Nikon or the respective predecessors. When simply looking at pro gear Canon is of course excellent, and this indeed seems to be their main focus.

Look at the poll http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=9763.0 ... 90% of voters thought Canon would release a higher mp body that outside of the "purely pro" price range.

ronderick

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2012, 12:57:46 PM »
Seems quite self-defeating that Canon goes all the way to merge the 1D/1Ds split into the 1DX, and now have another high resolution model, which effectively restarts the product lines.

OK, let me take that back. Maybe they actually decided to adopt the Nikon approach - D1, D1H, D1X....
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2012, 01:24:25 PM »
Has Canon really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like about the new sensors yet?

my head exploded trying to comprehend this question.

It wasn't a question! It was an answer! The meaning of life! Wow!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2012, 01:24:25 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2012, 01:25:40 PM »
It wasn't a question! It was an answer!

Wait, I thought the answer was 42.  Now you're telling me it's 46.1?!?!?   ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2012, 01:27:11 PM »
Has Canon really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like about the new sensors yet?

Well, I think Canon really has been far even as didn't decide not to use even go want not to do look still more like about the new sensor.

No way man!

Honestly, want sensor Canon far did decide want go look more and more still yet sensor look about the new Canon did sensor. Word.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2012, 01:28:47 PM »

Well, I think Canon really has been far even as didn't decide not to use even go want not to do look still more like about the new sensor.

Well if they don't have it do, why are they stop making rumors and not release any worthwile information about what is to has been released yesterday by Nikon?

Maybe as you say, because they really don't have anything now that can match Nikon when it comes to sensors (or, more hopefully, they have something in the wings, but want Nikon to think they are still stuck in the past).
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 01:33:53 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2012, 01:31:18 PM »
On a serious note- I know we all like a nice rumor and to imagine what we can get in the future- but are the 5DIII/1Dx/1DsIII so bad that the Canon shooters who need high megapixels are out of work until the 46MP comes out?

I really like this statement, it reveals a lot about what photographers need, want and dream about.
I love my 5dmkiii, it may not be perfect in any one way, but it's perfect for its versatility in all the different ways I use it. It rarely leaves me wanting anything else. I am currently in a situation where I need to invest in a proper system for high-res art reproduction; in other words, Medium Format.

After doing some tests with Hasselblad H4D 50(not multi-shot) and Nikon D800, I was completely convinced DSLRs could soon match or exceed medium format, especially if lenses improve and 16bit color is a part (as was once rumored about the new 1D-S, or whatever you want to call it.)
I saw that the H4D was obviously better in two aspects: transitions/handling of highlights and color. The Nikon kicked ass in high iso and darks; basically handling noise.
The resolution is different but I wouldn't dare say it's all that important of a difference. The Nikon has actually exceeded MF in some ways, it is a brilliant new camera. But it still misses on a couple things, and it really just comes down to color.

The 1D-S is a very interesting prospect if it can traverse both of those cameras. It would be one more step closer to best of both worlds. Even if it had maximum usable iso of 1600 out of 3200, that means a lot more versatility than MF. With 16bit it would also challenge MF's color, which is the ONLY reason I am considering buying one for art reproduction. If my clients were ok having almost-perfect color, I'd get the Nikon, I would save a lot. But almost-perfect isn't enough,
so if Canon were to have a high MP, 16bit camera for 9000, I would be more than happy to get it (assuming it would actually be as good).
That's why, for me, this rumor is interesting. It could save me 10,000+ in the end, but I guess one can only dream...

I think for most, pros or amateurs, the cameras that are available today are more than capable and better than we ever thought possible, but every time something new or special comes along, we see opportunity and are inspired. So although I don't think anyone is out of work without the camera, a lot of new exciting work will be created once it is available.

Ibet the MF cameras have very strict color array filters and are less color-blind than the DSLRs, especially the more recent Canon ones, which have gained some luminance SNR improvements at cost of less strict color filters.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2012, 01:33:05 PM »

Indeed, you got it! That guy who wrote that book about hiking had no clue.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2012, 01:41:10 PM »

As the expert on 42, I can say that 42 is still valid :-) ... though some well-known company wanted us to believe the answer is 21, then 22, now maybe 20.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2012, 01:41:10 PM »

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2012, 03:34:40 PM »
It's a rumor, Canon has announced nothing and some people here are jumping ship. 
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

heptagon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2012, 04:03:22 PM »

my head exploded trying to comprehend this question.

It wasn't a question! It was an answer! The meaning of life! Wow!

You know, man, once you have seen light from the eternal flame it shines from your eyes burning through your brains. It's true. Our bodies emit photons and we can capture them. We are the children of the sun, just not as bright and shiny. The pros use avalanche photodiodes to count every last one in nitrogen cooled chambers isolated from the electromagnetic vibrations of the quirly world.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2012, 04:03:22 PM »