September 20, 2014, 02:08:47 AM

Author Topic: Considering switching to Nikon  (Read 21461 times)

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
Considering switching to Nikon
« on: October 09, 2012, 01:32:01 AM »
I would like to have a serious discussion.  I am not going switch in haste, I am justing thinking about this issues.  So please, no flames, etc.  Well thought out comments are welcomed.

Comparing Nikon and Canon bodies here are my thoughts

5D M3 no match
D800 no match, when/if Canon comes out with a high MP body, it is likely to be expensive.

Canon 1.3 crop in a 1 series body is great, Nikon's FX/DX lacks this feature.  The 1.3 crop makes my 500 a bit longer

Not sure how I would compare the 1D X versus D4 (correct body?), but not terribly important since the 1D X is out of my price range.

Canon vs Nikon lenses

Nikon wins in wide angle.
Canon and NIkon both have great mid range lenses (24-70, 70-200).  Canon's 24-105 is probably better than Nikons 24-120.

On the long end, similar quality though with the new super telephotos Canon may have an edge in optical quality and definitely on weight.  But at what cost?

Nikon has 200-400, Canon has an interested lens in development, not out yet, costs $3000 (?) than Nikon's.

Speciality lenses - Tilt shift I think Canon wins at least for wide angles.  Macro - both are great.

Conclusions

Canon - more expensive, lighter weight Super telephotos, weak in the wide angles expect for Tilt Shift
Nikon - less expense, stronger in wide angles,

Anything else?

canon rumors FORUM

Considering switching to Nikon
« on: October 09, 2012, 01:32:01 AM »

picturesbyme

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • AtlanticPicture.com
Re: Considering switching to Nikon
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 02:27:14 AM »
 ???
What is your point? I mean what do you shoot?
Maybe more specifics like a website with your work would help ppl here to give you better  - well thought out -  comments..
I know pro photographers in both camps so I am fairly sure there is a perfect setup for everyone w/Canon or Nikon.
Not many people who I heard of had been held up by the gear and was forced to switch...
So the question is what is it that you cannot shoot with Canon's (current) offering?

tnargs

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 03:32:20 AM »
You seem to have an inflated opinion of Nikon lens IQ and an inflated opinion of Canon lens prices.

"Canon's 24-105 is probably better than Nikons 24-120." Probably??   The Nikon is widely regarded as a terrible lens.

You deliberately put this on a Canon forum so I will give the only fair comment: Don't Do It!   ;D

If you want a serious discussion why not post what 2 kits you are thinking of buying and what kit you have now, and what your photographic aim is.

Picturesbyme is right: you don't have to switch camps to get great photos. So why do it?

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 04:26:13 AM »
Could you please tell us what issues are hold you back from achieving your desired results. Thanks
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

mb66energy

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 04:47:21 AM »
Just my 2 ct.

Body:
The IQ variability between different sensors (from different companies) of the same size doesn't vary too much if the photographer exposes correctly, he and the subject are steady enought and the light is good.
Useability is much more important to set up the camera (as tool) fast and accurate ... to make a photograph which is close to the idea you previsualized in your brain with a minimum of handling efforts.

IF YOU DECIDED FOR A CANON BODY:
Lenses:
If you see a lack of good wide angles from Canon - think about the possibility to adapt Nikon lenses on an EOS body (shure, you know that). If you think, a Canon body is the optimum solution.

Further options:
If you see a 1.3 CROP ideal for your purposes it might be an option to use a secondary body with APS-C sensor and the EF 10-22 which is really o.k. in terms of image quality (reasonable sharpness, good contrast, good flare resistance). Than you have a body which makes a 800mm from your 500mm lens.

IF YOU DECIDED FOR A NIKON BODY:
If Nikon has the lenses you need for your purposes, you have to switch.

+++

I know that these decisions are hard. I have given up the idea to have one body for everything - 40D is much much better for photographing than the 600D, but the 600D has useable video and especially the 3x-digital zoom (which cuts out 1920x1080 from the center area of the sensor, converting my 70-200 to a equiv 110-300 + 330-900mm f/4 zoom !!!). Or one 100mm lens for all purposes - the f/2.0 is very compact, has 1 stop advantage in low light while the f/2.8 macro has 1:1 max. reproduction ratio.
At the moment I don't see any reason to switch - just upgrading to FF is not a strong wish except ... the 6D has an outstanding advantage in IQ and comes down to roughly 1500 $/€.u

Best - Michael
TOOLS: EF-S 10-22 | 60 || EF 2.8/24 | 2.8/40* | 2.8 100 Macro* |2.0/100 | 4.0/70-200* | 5.6/400* || 2 x 40D | 600D | EOS M  [* most used lenses]

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 04:48:18 AM »
You went smoothly through almost the whole upper and pro bodies and lenses range. As others pointed: what do you intend to do with this gear? Do you want to buy all best they have in lenses like 24 TS-E, 24-70 II, 24-105, 70-200 II, 85 1.2, 135 2.0, 100 2.8 L Macro, 300 2,8, 400 2.8 II, 600 f4 etc. and 1d4, 5d3, future 7d2, count the price, put on shelf and be happy that you have better gear than Nikon or you intend to shoot something with it?

In my opinion:
Landscape - as for now - go Nikon
Events - go Canon
Architecture - go Canon
Sports - go Canon
Wildlife - go Canon
Macro - a bit better Canon (MP 65, 100 2.8 L) although with Zeiss lenses both are great
Birthday with grandma - go Nikon (gold finishing may make better impression)

Looking from a distance at the shelf, I think both look pretty good, but white lenses make another impression than Nikon teles so you have to consider the difference.

Seriously - what will you shoot with it? What conditions? Pro or hobby? Do you make money on it? Do you have to rely on the support? How much money do you have to spend? What are your skills? Do you shoot video? And finally: have you read Ken? :D
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

PavelR

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 04:57:23 AM »
I did upgrade from D2x to 1DIV and found:
* 50/1.4, 85/1.8 - Nikkors are much better
* crop 17-55/2.8 - Canon have IS, sharper, cheaper
* flash exposure calculation is better on Nikon side in changing lightning on the stage
* flash recycle time is better on Nikon with 5 batteries (I need flash battery pack on Canon)
* full size body + 70-200/2.8 + flash - noticeably lighter on the Nikon side
* 70-200/4 IS nice option of the only Canon side
* Canon 300/4 with IS
* Canon 400/5.6
* Canon does not display several things in viewfinder and top display - selected AF point (on both places), selected mode, exposure compensation is not indicated by number, switched off camera do not show on the top display free space on the card - very handy - it is anytime known that battery and card are in the camera, card free space on Canon is always < 2000, ...
* custom button function "do not use flash" on Nikon
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 05:10:13 AM by PavelR »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 04:57:23 AM »

Ivan Muller

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 05:24:45 AM »
Personally i think you should just go out an shoot and make images...no matter what system you are using, you will only be limited by your own capabilities and your own vision or lack there of...ask yourself this question if after you have switched systems are you going to keep on switching as each new manufacturer brings out something 'better' and if your answer is yes then by all means switch and keep on switching...but then ask yourself are you interested in making images or in mastering and owning toys...nothing wrong with the latter, i know many people who collect cameras and lenses and that always have the latest and the greatest...nothing wrong with that, but then does it really matter which toy is a bit better or a bit faster, just go for the one that you want, you wont have it for long when something  'better' comes along...the pinnacle of  'male jewellery' ownership would seem to be a Leica M and glass, the undisputed king of 'the best that money can buy'...

On the other hand if you want to be a photographer get rid of all your lenses, chooce one lens and one camera and shoot with that for at least a year..at the end of it you will be a much better photographer and you will know exactly what you want in a camera...you wont need or want to ask a bunch of faceless guys on the internet to recommend bodies and lenses...look here to see what one can do with a fixed lens camera only....http://www.ivanmuller.co.za/blog-item/centurion-weppenerthe-journey-begins.

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 05:40:58 AM »
Personally i think you should just go out an shoot and make images...no matter what system you are using, you will only be limited by your own capabilities and your own vision or lack there of...ask yourself this question if after you have switched systems are you going to keep on switching as each new manufacturer brings out something 'better' and if your answer is yes then by all means switch and keep on switching...but then ask yourself are you interested in making images or in mastering and owning toys...nothing wrong with the latter, i know many people who collect cameras and lenses and that always have the latest and the greatest...nothing wrong with that, but then does it really matter which toy is a bit better or a bit faster, just go for the one that you want, you wont have it for long when something  'better' comes along...the pinnacle of  'male jewellery' ownership would seem to be a Leica M and glass, the undisputed king of 'the best that money can buy'...

On the other hand if you want to be a photographer get rid of all your lenses, chooce one lens and one camera and shoot with that for at least a year..at the end of it you will be a much better photographer and you will know exactly what you want in a camera...you wont need or want to ask a bunch of faceless guys on the internet to recommend bodies and lenses...look here to see what one can do with a fixed lens camera only....http://www.ivanmuller.co.za/blog-item/centurion-weppenerthe-journey-begins.

Correct link: http://www.ivanmuller.co.za/blog-item/centurion-weppenerthe-journey-begins

photogolf

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 07:03:11 AM »
Hi guys,
I'm surely biased by the fact that I just got my new MKIII after long consideration about which side of the world I wanted to live in, Canon or Nikon.
I choose Canon basically for 3 reasons: sturdy body, warm colors, more than enough Mpixels (36? come on! who needs that?)
I would have gone to the MKII if it were not a 4 years old project: 4 years in technology is like two different geological eras in real life.
Lenses:
There might be a slight edge for Nikon in wides, but I'm planning to cover it with a Zeiss 3,5/18; everything else in Canon is just awesome.

But once the techno stuff is taken care of, the real deal is in your soul and eye.

Maui5150

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 08:11:14 AM »
I have been debating this.

If and BIG IF... I could go to 1DX I think I would be happy stepping up from my 5DMKII

Have been considering the 5DMKIII for a little better ISO and a lot better AF, but seeing more and more commentary about the body finish wearing off has me deeply concerned.  The 5DMKII has so far worn like a tank and while I treat my bodies very well and baby them, their is barely any sign of wear on my MKII with a ton of use, and if I plan on selling this next body 3 years down the line, having all the plastic wearing off, the metal under body showing through... well that is deconserting.

I tend to prefer Canon lenses and the canon color, but have been thinking of the D800 as a cheaper alternative to the 5DMKIII as well as seems to do a little better ISO.  Would probably be a no brainer for me if the resolution was smaller.  I would be much happier in the 24 - 30 MP range.  36 is just overkill for me.   As a whole I am pretty happy with the 5DMKII image size, just want a little more ISO performance and much better AF.

Love a couple of the Canon lenses, but Canon's pricing and quality making it harder to stay

Vikmnilu

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 08:32:20 AM »
In my honest opinion, I am among the ones that think that you should not change the system, once you are and have been with a that system for a long time, having lenses and accessories for (in this case) Canon.

Sometimes I feel åeople talk too much about gear and what could he be doing with the other brand. Well, then you will switch and will think what you couldnt do with your current that you could do with the one you had. Because no brand is perfect.... although Canon is close :)

So I think you should stay in canon....
Despite whatever equipment you own, get out and shoot!

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 08:36:12 AM »
(...)

So I think you should stay in canon....

... or sell your gear for the good price. What do you have?  (*)::)(*)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 08:36:12 AM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 08:59:14 AM »

It's quite easy...get the coin out and flip it  :)
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

vintagedan23

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 09:25:45 AM »
I have a Canon 5D MKIII and a Nikon D800e.

IMO the AF on Canon 5D MKIII excels over the Nikon D800.

The Dynamic Range on the D800e is unreal and in my opinion better than the Canon 5D MKIII.

And the detail on a 36MP image is also something to marvel at.

But at the end of the day 36MP does not look that great if you miss half the shots due to a poor AF system. And you really cant beat Canon L glass. With the D800 you need the best of the best glass to maximize the resolution potential.

I only use the D800e for product photography and Landscape shots. For everything else i prefer the Canon 5D MKIII.

So it really depends on what you shoot. But for an all around camera - you cant beat the Canon.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 09:25:45 AM »