December 19, 2014, 07:31:31 AM

Author Topic: Considering switching to Nikon  (Read 23265 times)

Simba

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: Considering switching to Nikon
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2012, 06:10:36 PM »
yes, where is RGF? So much for starting a thread with the words "I want a serious discussion".  :-X

As for friedmud, congratulations on your purchase mate, I hope you have great pleasure in this great hobby with your new kit.  ;D

However, looking at your reasons, you had better be prepared to switch straight back to Canon again the day their products match your needs better -- which could get expensive. And you have just walked away from the best lens kit in the land -- which can easily affect one's photo IQ.

My advice: if you are unhappy with IQ on the Canon side... try Sony! At least they make their own senors, so their product is fully integrated like Canon. And they have a range of AF Zeiss lenses to appreciate. But be prepared for your hobby investment to start spiralling.

Canon is still the best long term investment in terms of total system value and results, looking beyond the short-term leap-frogging of individual camera releases.

You can easily find parts which are made from different vendors in a device, such as PC, iPhone, or car.  Nikon uses some sensors designed by Sony and some designed by themselves but manufactured by Sony.  I use both Canon and Nikon, and I would say they have their own strength and weaknesses but they are comparable.  However, I can't say Canon is the best long term investment, especially they really raised the price for the new pro bodies and lenses this year, but retailers significantly drop the prices, such 5d3, and sell them on eBay at big discount probably due to overstock or demand/supply issues. We are not married to a brand.  Choose the equipment that fits your needs.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 06:28:36 PM by Simba »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2012, 06:10:36 PM »

hippoeater

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2012, 06:52:22 PM »
I actually just sold and switched systems.

I had a Canon 5DMK3 and I just converted to a Nikon D600, 50mm 1.2 ai-s and 28mm 2.8 ai-s.

There are certain things I am loving and hating so far. It's change and there is always growing pains with change.

I would say I prefer the 5DMK3 body - I don't believe however that Nikon was aiming to compete in build quality or styling with the 5D.

I think the Menu system for Canon is easier to navigate and use quickly - tho I'm sure Nikon users would say the same about their system vs. Canon. It's one of those things that will make sense in time - I think it's like trying to adopt a different language and you're trying to figure out what words mean what and remember it that way, so it becomes confusing.

I'm loving the picture quality I'm getting out of the D600 so far. Colors are amazing straight out of the camera and the images are unbelievably contrasty and sharp - extremely sharp.

I'm also loving the two lenses I picked up as well - tho that's a more personal choice - I love manual focus and these two are built like Zeiss - that old world metal feeling that just feels good in your hands.

Overall it was an easy decision for me to switch - my dad owns a D700 and every major lens that Nikon makes. It makes it easy for me to share without having to invest a ton of money.

Overall I'm pretty smitten with the D600, I miss certain aspects of the MK3 but it's an excellent switch.

Not sure how much that helps you, but that's where I'm at right now with switching over.
RX-1

Tayvin

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Tayvin Knight Photo
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2012, 07:23:11 PM »
Why not just use both brands?

hippoeater

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2012, 08:03:37 PM »
lol because it's not possible for everyone to afford to commit to the costs of two high end pro dslr bodies and lens systems?
RX-1

carlc

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2012, 08:59:26 PM »
Hey RGF (OP), why don't you spend some money on becoming a better photographer and not chasing gear.  I am getting tired of people coming on CR to worship Nikon and degrade Canon.  Why don't you post some of your recent photos and we will be able to advise you better.  My bet is your problems are not with your camera and lenses.  Now get off the computer and study more and go practice what you have just learned.  Then you can justify better equipment.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2012, 10:33:18 PM »
The D800 trumps anything Canon offers in terms of DR and resolution - and even their crop bodies have extremely capable sensors - so if that's what's important to you, Nikon is the way to go.

One thing to consider though, is that a body is only a small part of the investment you will be making, and it will be outdated in 3 years or so.
So study the lenses and make a list of what you will want.  You may find that You will have to settle for less capable lenses at a higher price.
Then, there is service.  Nikon is notorious for the lack of service.  If your equipment dies, you may have to use a backup for a month or two.
So, look at the whole package before you leap, it might be a perfect match, or a expensive mistake, depending on what you want to photograph.

tnargs

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2012, 10:45:38 PM »
...  I am getting tired of people coming on CR to worship Nikon and degrade Canon.  ...

Yes, exactly! Just Nikon-off, you guys.

Come here to help people learn and grow as photographers using their Canon gear.   :o

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2012, 10:45:38 PM »

tnargs

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2012, 10:47:47 PM »
...I'm loving the picture quality I'm getting out of the D600 so far. Colors are amazing straight out of the camera and the images are unbelievably contrasty and sharp - extremely sharp....

So you are shooting in jpeg?

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2012, 12:44:22 AM »
No need to write a note saying that you're considering it, if you really wanted to jump you would have done it already.
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 5D mark III, and 2x6D. Canon 24mm Samyang/Rokinon, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

akclimber

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2012, 12:46:48 AM »
I currently shoot with a 5D2, 5D3 & D800E.

First & foremost, at ISO 100 & 200 the image quality of the D800E blows the Canons out of the water - plain & simple.  DR and detail are stunning.  If you shoot a lot at these low ISOs you can't get better than the D800E's sensor.  At those low ISOs, in a high DR scene, a shot that only needs one exposure with the D800 might very well need 2 with the Canon to capture clean shadows.  At ISOs 400-800 the DR and IQ are generally about equal with the exception of more details for the D800E.  At above ISO 800 the 5D3 starts to pull ahead in DR and maybe noise but I find the noise of the D800E files easier to deal with.

As for AF, I agree with others that the 5D3 has an edge. 

As for ergonomics/shooting comfort overall I prefer Canon but not by much.  The one design feature the D800E has that's inexplicably missing in the 5D series is a built-in viewfinder curtain.  What is Canon thinking?  And why neither cam has a flip out, tilting LCD screen is a real mystery.

Oh, and Canons liveview is way, way better than Nikon's.

As for build quality, the 5d3 is better.  Same too for shutter noise/feel.

As for frame rate, I kinda like the D800 option of using a 1.2 crop to get 5-6 fps (resulting in a 24MP file) but it takes practice to mentally switch from a full frame POV to a smaller crop.

As for lenses, I've seen a lot of 24-105 vs 24-120 talk in the thread with folks saying the 24-105 is a lot better.  I don't agree.  I have & love them both for their usability and IQ and find them comparable.  As for overall lens line-up, I prefer Canon for its amazing TSE lenses and L quality mid zooms like the 70-300 and 100-400 and 70-200 f/4 IS (but it looks like Nikon is about to announce its own 70-200 f/4 VR).  On the wide end, Nikon has the wildly good 14-24 and useful 16-35 f/4 VR.  I've rented a 14-24 to use on my 5D2 and wow, it's nice.  I opted for a Zeiss 21 f/2.8 for the D800E but am still considering the 14-24 or 16-35 VR since I really like AF and handheld stuff.

As others have pointed out, your choice of body has everything to do with how you shoot and what you enjoy shooting.  For ISO 100-200 use, the D800 smokes Canon for image quality and it's about equal up to ISO 800.  The 5D3 might be a slightly better general use DSLR but not by much and only if you use higher ISOs and need a little better fullframe frame rate or slightly better low light AF.

If you can, rent one and find out for yourself how it'll work for your needs.

Good luck!

Oh, and BTW, my D800E does unfortunately have the left side AF problem (still need to send it in for repair).  But on the other hand, my 5D3 exhibits wild light leak thru the viewfinder when I'm using liveview (really bad - not using the annoying/stupid external curtain isn't an option).  Sigh, nothing's perfect.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2012, 01:28:10 AM »
I currently shoot with a 5D2, 5D3 & D800E.

First & foremost, at ISO 100 & 200 the image quality of the D800E blows the Canons out of the water - plain & simple.  DR and detail are stunning.  If you shoot a lot at these low ISOs you can't get better than the D800E's sensor.  At those low ISOs, in a high DR scene, a shot that only needs one exposure with the D800 might very well need 2 with the Canon to capture clean shadows.  At ISOs 400-800 the DR and IQ are generally about equal with the exception of more details for the D800E.  At above ISO 800 the 5D3 starts to pull ahead in DR and maybe noise but I find the noise of the D800E files easier to deal with.

As for AF, I agree with others that the 5D3 has an edge. 

As for ergonomics/shooting comfort overall I prefer Canon but not by much.  The one design feature the D800E has that's inexplicably missing in the 5D series is a built-in viewfinder curtain.  What is Canon thinking?  And why neither cam has a flip out, tilting LCD screen is a real mystery.

Oh, and Canons liveview is way, way better than Nikon's.

As for build quality, the 5d3 is better.  Same too for shutter noise/feel.

As for frame rate, I kinda like the D800 option of using a 1.2 crop to get 5-6 fps (resulting in a 24MP file) but it takes practice to mentally switch from a full frame POV to a smaller crop.

As for lenses, I've seen a lot of 24-105 vs 24-120 talk in the thread with folks saying the 24-105 is a lot better.  I don't agree.  I have & love them both for their usability and IQ and find them comparable.  As for overall lens line-up, I prefer Canon for its amazing TSE lenses and L quality mid zooms like the 70-300 and 100-400 and 70-200 f/4 IS (but it looks like Nikon is about to announce its own 70-200 f/4 VR).  On the wide end, Nikon has the wildly good 14-24 and useful 16-35 f/4 VR.  I've rented a 14-24 to use on my 5D2 and wow, it's nice.  I opted for a Zeiss 21 f/2.8 for the D800E but am still considering the 14-24 or 16-35 VR since I really like AF and handheld stuff.

As others have pointed out, your choice of body has everything to do with how you shoot and what you enjoy shooting.  For ISO 100-200 use, the D800 smokes Canon for image quality and it's about equal up to ISO 800.  The 5D3 might be a slightly better general use DSLR but not by much and only if you use higher ISOs and need a little better fullframe frame rate or slightly better low light AF.

If you can, rent one and find out for yourself how it'll work for your needs.

Good luck!

Oh, and BTW, my D800E does unfortunately have the left side AF problem (still need to send it in for repair).  But on the other hand, my 5D3 exhibits wild light leak thru the viewfinder when I'm using liveview (really bad - not using the annoying/stupid external curtain isn't an option).  Sigh, nothing's perfect.

Thanks for all the information. Appreciate it.

akclimber

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2012, 01:55:50 AM »
Thanks for all the information. Appreciate it.

My pleasure. 

Another observation is that for whatever reason, maybe the added DR, the D800E seems to produce nicer B&W files than the Canons (I shoot RAW/NEF, convert in ACR and use mostly Nik Silver Efex for B&W but sometimes onOne software too).  My wife can actually tell my Nikon BWs from my Canon BWs.  I've also seen this mentioned on other forums so I'm fairly sure I'm not seeing things.  Anyway, if you're in to B&W it's something to check if you rent one.

Cheers!

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2012, 02:08:40 AM »
I very close buddy of mine, a professional photographer was an ARDENT Canon fan. He tested a 800E. Overnight he sold his Canon gear and went Nikon. I met him two days ago and how does he feel about the switch and if he recommends this to anyone? His reply "Everyone should switch to Nikon." This is of course his opinion for the type of photography he does - commercial.
I do wildlife and travel so am very happy with my X and 3. :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2012, 02:08:40 AM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2012, 02:48:19 AM »
Previously, I've also thought of switching to Nikon but lenses are still more important than the body and would stay that way for years to come.  Of course if there's a Nikon lens that I crave such as the 14-24, there'll be no problem for me since I can still use it with my Canon body.  How about if you're on Nikon and you want to use MP-E 65 or TS-E lenses?  Besides, the technology of the body will always shift from one manufacturer to another as better technology is available.  A lot of good photographers are still using 5D and even 20D but until now, I'm still amazed at their photos.  So, are the Nikon bodies really enough reason for me to switch?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2012, 09:54:40 AM »
No need to write a note saying that you're considering it, if you really wanted to jump you would have done it already.

LOL  ;D  Glad I wasn't drinking a sip of coffee just then.

I wonder if there's a crisis support line for this sort of thing, 1-800-NO-NIKON.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2012, 09:54:40 AM »