November 25, 2014, 05:10:40 PM

Author Topic: Which online-test magazine is testing seriosly?  (Read 1241 times)

xps

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Which online-test magazine is testing seriosly?
« on: October 09, 2012, 04:36:01 AM »
Which online-testmagazine do you trust in making honest tests?

I often looked at dpreview, or colorfoto (german magazine). But as they are often critizised, they have to much bias in ther tests. But which one to trust? Which one do you prefer?

Color foto often tests the IQ of lenses @ different bodies. I think this helps to find the right lens.

canon rumors FORUM

Which online-test magazine is testing seriosly?
« on: October 09, 2012, 04:36:01 AM »

sandymandy

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: Which online-test magazine is testing seriosly?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 09:43:18 AM »
I check many random sites and focus my mind on the general overlapping similarities noted in each review to form a temporarily acceptable final image of the impression of a e.g. a certain lens until i hold it in my hands and make my own realization about it. Every human is biased in one way so u wont find the ultimate objectivly testing review. Some things can be measured as pure facts but for example "impression of the bokeh" is way harder to objectivly describe since there are no values u can rely on.

.... :D
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 09:44:58 AM by sandymandy »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 10:02:25 AM »

None of them.  Look at all of them, read several reviews on each so you're familiar with the style and what they emphasize, and synthesize the results yourself.

One important factor to keep in mind is that online test/review sites are usually testing just one copy of a lens (although sometimes 2-3, as TDP does for some lenses).  Copy variation is a real world fact.  I pay attention to Roger Cicala's blog articles - as the owner of lensrentals.com, he is in a rare position among reviewers with the ability to test many copies of the same lens.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

aj1575

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 10:40:51 AM »
For lenses I go to http://www.photozone.de/, it is from germany, but the reviews are in english. I think this one of the best sources for lens reviews. Also very interesting, especially for Canon users is http://www.the-digital-picture.com/. Very long reviews, with lots of real world observations, few pictures of test charts and no synthetic measurements.

For Cameras, it is much more difficult. But the-digital-picture has some nice camera reviews (mostly Canon). Ken Rockwell is also nice with (some of)his views, and makes me think more about what the camera is really for, rather than comparing spec sheets. I do not like sites like dpreview or DxOMark, who like to put together the whole performance of a camera in a point or percentage system; this does not justify the complexity of such a system.

xps

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 03:23:03 PM »
Much thanks!!
The blog is interresting.
I know photozone, I sent there an lens for testing. And they did, a few years ago.
I knew The digital picture page, but did not recognise all the tests.

Are there any Germans (despite the photographer from Berlin that has never beEn to Garmisch ;-) ) that know Color foto? What du they think about their tests?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 03:23:03 PM »