October 31, 2014, 03:35:01 PM

Author Topic: Ruined photo, or rescue opportunity?  (Read 9601 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: Ruined photo, or rescue opportunity?
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2012, 07:04:34 PM »
Thanks Marsu42 I will look there but based on your figures you gave then thats what I was offered, so that makes me feel better.

... but I have to mention the prices depend much on your local competition, too, so the main factor for a beginner should really be to take some money just to appear "pro" though actually these shots should be done for free given the experience gained. If the clients are happy and you didn't ruin your reputation that's the most important thing you can't buy for money.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2012, 07:04:34 PM »

kennephoto

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2012, 07:12:12 PM »
Thanks Marsu42 I will look there but based on your figures you gave then thats what I was offered, so that makes me feel better.

... but I have to mention the prices depend much on your local competition, too, so the main factor for a beginner should really be to take some money just to appear "pro" though actually these shots should be done for free given the experience gained. If the clients are happy and you didn't ruin your reputation that's the most important thing you can't buy for money.

Thats all very true as well. Good point, I will take that to heart and let her decide what she thinks. I didn't ask for money at either wedding I shot.
Canon 5d Mark II Canon 1D classic EOSM 20-35 2.8L 50 1.2L 135 2.0L 80-200 2.8L 40 Pancake and a bunch of old film cameras

35mm Film

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2012, 05:04:27 AM »
I was a bit rude with my early post. I think you've got a great attitude, your seem down to earth and honnest. I've been there in a situation where Ive stuffed up a family portrait too, it's not nice to bring a picture up and see you've made a mistake.

dirtcastle

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2012, 02:06:07 PM »
IMO, the money is irrelevant. The responsibility is on the wedding planner. They pick the photographer. If you screw up the shots, they have only themselves to blame. When people go cheap they are taking a huge risk. But this does provide a valuable learning opportunity to an upstart wedding photographer like yourself. Plus, this shot here is salvageable, so don't sweat it.

lukaszb

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2012, 03:10:14 PM »
Just wanted to share my advice.  I started doing weddings few years ago and started doing it with a local photographer.  To find a studio that will take you on in any capacity is challenging.  I think out of 30 I called and emailed 29 told me no.  Most of them insisted that they either have someone already or they exclusively shoot alone and don't need anyone that they need to mentor.  But there was one guy with whom I shot for one year for free.  I don't agree with everything he does, but it was a good learning experience.  Right now I shoot alone.

If you want to do traditional weddings research some books and look through wedding magazines/web sites.  I would highly recommend looking into David Ziser books (Captured by the light is the title i think).  The book actually shows you how to arrange for group shots.

Darkmatter

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2012, 05:12:37 PM »
You must have other shots of this guy right? Even better, do you have shots of him from the same position you are in now from before your flash failed? If you don't have that, even one where the shadow isn't as dark could be fixed up and used in place of the current "head."  I just ask because a well done replacement would look more natural then what you would likely get from trying to brighten the original head. Do you have a shot like what I've described that you could also put online?

And grats, I've lurked around this site for a fair while and you made me register. :)

kennephoto

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2012, 08:35:47 PM »
I was a bit rude with my early post. I think you've got a great attitude, your seem down to earth and honnest. I've been there in a situation where Ive stuffed up a family portrait too, it's not nice to bring a picture up and see you've made a mistake.

Thank you! Glad you came back down to earth! And darkmatter I don't know how I got you to register but welcome to a pretty great community. I actually did what you suggested and took others advice, and corrected the photo. I actually heard from the bride and bride's mother both loved the photos I took. They were both very impressed. Thanks again everyone.
Canon 5d Mark II Canon 1D classic EOSM 20-35 2.8L 50 1.2L 135 2.0L 80-200 2.8L 40 Pancake and a bunch of old film cameras

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2012, 08:35:47 PM »

Ryan708

• EOS M2
  • Less bickering, more shooting
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2012, 11:34:16 PM »
I shot my first wedding for a friend this summer, same situation as your first wedding was, money issues, so I volunteered. It was a very small wedding, with divorced parents that didnt get along. My group shots weren't the best. Reception was in a small room, so for the cake cutting to have an audiance the bride and groom were pretty much backed against the wall, with a long table infront of them. No good angle. In the end after PP work was all done and I gave them the shots, they were so ecited about how great the shots were and that I am so talented yadda yadda. Im sure they will love them. Also being a mechanic for 9 years i know what it is like to work a whole day for crap-pay. gotta love the family's broken stuff. If they insist you take the money dont hesitate lol.
60D, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4, Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 VC, EF 50mm 1.8II, and a Sigma EF-610 DG superflash

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2012, 11:34:16 PM »