October 02, 2014, 04:53:25 AM

Author Topic: AFMA Software and Suggestions  (Read 3512 times)

RobT

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: AFMA Software and Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 10:35:13 AM »
So I don't have to create a new thread:

Does FoCal do it's calibration based on all AF points? I've been having a problem with one of my lenses lately on my 50D. I spent hours with a tripod yesterday trying to get the most consistent focus at f/1.8 using the center AF point. I thought I had gotten it right but through a session yesterday and this morning I was struggling to get eyes in focus.

I do change the AF point when shooting though, and often don't shoot center and recompose. Is this a problem with my camera/shooting style or is human error in picking AFMA that great? I'm ready to drop the money on FoCal right now if it will help.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 10:35:13 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2012, 11:06:26 AM »
It uses the center point. But, there's also a multi point test that checks the accuracy of each point in the array (maybe only on Pro version, not sure).

As for doing AFMA yourself, 'human error' depends on your method. If you're using a commercial tool (LensAlign, SpyderLensCal) correctly, results with FoCal will align well. If you're just shooting something random and looking for sharpness as you change AFMA your results will be less consistent and likely less accurate.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

RobT

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 11:10:46 AM »
Thanks for the prompt reply.
In that case, I think I'm dropping the money on FoCal before I pull my hair out.

rporterfield

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 01:28:00 PM »
One thing to note.  If you don't want to pay for the pro version now, you can buy the plus version and then if later you decide you want the pro version, you only have to pay the difference.
5D Mark III, 24-105

RobT

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 04:17:18 PM »
I decided to shell out for the pro version early since I knew I'd want it anyways  :) And my sessions today already paid for it!

On an older camera such as the 50D, is it usual for FoCal to be telling me my outside AF points behave very differently from the center?

The center point reads best at -7 and one of the outlying points that I often use at -1.

I need to run the test again with better lighting, but I ran both points twice and got the same results. This is unfortunate, but makes sense to me considering how old the AF in the 50D is, and knowing that shooting center and recomposing is still the best way even for the 5D mkII.

The EF 85 f/1.8 is also not the sharpest at 1.8 to begin with. Either way, it seems like I'll get the best results using the center AF point.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 04:17:18 PM »